Question about replacing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about replacing speakers

I am a component set that i am going to install in the front doors. I will prob get another set of components or just go with cozxials in the rear doors. I will be running these speakers off a JL Audio 300/4 which gives each door 75 watts.

Anyways i was wondering if there was any way i could use these speakers but also keep the rear 6x9s going at the same time. I do not plan on adding a sub for a while. Does anyone know what the speaker wires heading up to the head unit look like? Normally with a 6 speaker car (tweets fronts and rears) the tweets and fronts are labeled as front and the rear s are labeled as rear. are the rear door and rear 6x9 speakers run to the head unit seperately or together?

Also i will need line level converters to connect to the stock cd player correct? any recommendations on brands? My last car i had a aftermarket headunit so i just connected the RCA's.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Well, my only useful input would be that all 8 speakers run to the stock amp seperately. Therefore, if you are only tapping into the door wiring for your JL amp, you should be able to keep the stock amp powering the dash tweeters and the rear 6x9's. Considering that the tweeters are high pass crossed and the 6x9s are low pass crossed, you probably won't have a problem with them blending into your system.

Now, if you wanted to run the 6x9s off of your JL Audio amp, you could mount the amp in the trunk and just run the wires to the 6x9s parallel to your rear doors. It'd be a pretty short run. I'm sure your amp can handle a 2 ohm bridged load. I doubt they'd sound all that good since they're just a woofer with no tweeter but it's an idea. You really don't need any more highs coming from the rear of the car anyhow.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea thanks for the input. i think ill just stick with the 6x9s running off the stock amp. im looking at the helms manual, looks like a lot of wires to cut.

i would connect a line leverl converter to the speakerwires that connect to the stock amp right? that way i can just get those oem honda adapters to hook up my speakers.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Yes, you would use the speaker outs from the stock amp to connect your line output converters. That would give you the RCA connectors for the patch cords to your amplifier. You'll have to run your patch cords to wherever your amplifier will be housed. You'll want to run four speaker wires along with your patch cords because, from the amplifier, you will have to reconnect speaker wire from the amp to the open end of the stock speaker wires you used for the LOC if you intend to use the existing wiring to power the door speakers.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:30 AM
White 05 6 speed

I have a few plans for my TSX, the sound is good but lacks definition. I will start with removing the seats and carpet and slicing into the head unit to run 4 new wires from the head unit to the trunk. Another 4 wires will run back to the front to power the door speakers. The rear 6x9s are now running as bass units and I will be replacing them with a paper based 2-way speaker, this will allow me to push more power to the rear deck and less to the doors to reduce door panel vibration. I will install my 5 way Sony amp under the rear deck and will run both front and back door speakers on the same cannel. My plan is to build a sub into the spare tire area and ajust my amp to put 50% of the power to the rear deck, 25% to the doors and the rest to the sub.

I will let you know how I make out