Question about Hands Free Phone

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Question about Hands Free Phone

I am new to this forum and about to sign the papers to buy a new 2004 TL. I hear a lot of debate about which phone works best with the TL.

Could anybody tell me which phone is the best to buy or which ones they've had the best experience with? I am considering a Nokia 3600 but find that the phone is a bit bigger than I am comfortable with.

Please help.

CrazyNuts.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Question about Hands Free Phone

Originally posted by CrazyNuts
I am new to this forum and about to sign the papers to buy a new 2004 TL. I hear a lot of debate about which phone works best with the TL.

Could anybody tell me which phone is the best to buy or which ones they've had the best experience with? I am considering a Nokia 3600 but find that the phone is a bit bigger than I am comfortable with.

Please help.

CrazyNuts.
Get something that supports bluetooth.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks buddy, I kinda figured that much!

Let me be more specific then and rephrase,

Of those of you using your cell phone with the TL hands free feature, which type and model of phone has worked best? Any feedback would be appreciated.

From what I gather some bluetooth phones work better than others, and, some phones communicate or share more data with the TL than others (i.e. phone book, call display, etc.).

CrazyNuts.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Bluetooth Phones

There is a thread on Bluetooth stickied on the 3rd generation forum.

From my review of that forum, the S/E 610 and 616 work well, pair easily and show phone number, battery strength and signal strength on the MID. There have been complaints about reception and echos from some. The Motorola phones seem to work well except there is no info on battery and signal strenght displayed on the MID. The reception is supposed to be better than on the S/Es. I think this also applies to the new V600 and V525. The Siemens phone also supposedly works well. I cannot recall if the phone displays battery and signal strength on the MID. I think the Nokias work well and again I cannot recall if they display the battery and signal strength on the MID.

You need to ensure that the phone is not only Bluetooth but that it has the HFL profile. For example, the S/E P800 and P900 can accomadate a bluetooth headset but won't work with the TL.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your help.

I think I might just take my chances and either purchase the SE T616 or the SE T68i. I like Nokia, but find the new models (3600) to be too large like a palm pilot. My only concern about the T616 is that more than one person has commented on poor reception or echos. I wonder if the T68i is better for this, and if the T68i shows the battery and signal strength on the MID. Anyone know this?

CrazyNuts
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
CrazyNuts

I understand that some of the problems with the S/E 616 can be cured with up to date firmware. I am not sure how to determine whether the firmware is up to date.

I assume that you are going with Rogers. The only phones they have are the S/E T68i and the T616 and the Nokia 3600. I know that the Nokia 6820 was just released in the States but the price is $229.00 U.S. with a two year plan. I also understand that S/E will be releasing a T630 or T637 at some point.

I know Fido has the Siemens S56 which people seem to be happy with. I just don't know if I want to be with Fido.

I have also checked with Bell Mobility and they still have no idea if and when they will have a Bluetooth phone.

I am getting my TL in the next two weeks (maybe sooner because my leased 2000 Toyota Avalon may need an engine rebuild because of oil sludging) and I am moving from Bell to Rogers on the 9th. I am going to see if there are any new phones in the pipe since I looked in early February.

Incidentally, I have seen the T68i as low as $149.00 at Battery Plus and I assume it is with Rogers.

Good luck with the phone you choose.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Cruisin'

Smoore - you are a wealth of knowledge and are very helpful. I checked out the T630 on the SE site, and it seems like a very remarkable phone. I am going to inquire to see when it is available. I am just not very impressed by the current phones available with Rogers, and am starting to think that it might be best to wait for something better. Only bad part is that I hate to wait...

Thanks again,

CrazyNuts
Old 03-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Crazynuts,

If you decide to get an SE phone, I can assist you with firmware ugprades. The T630 is already out but I would certainly wait for the K700: http://www.mobile-review.com/article...-pict-en.shtml Just depends when you are looking to purchase the phone. And if you need help looking for the phone, I can help as well.

For all you SE users, to check for firmware version, do >*<<*<* use the joytstick for direction and then the star where notated. You can go into the service menu and see what firmware version you have...then you can ask me to see if your firmware is up to date.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Snoopy for the advice.

I think I will wait for the SE K700, but depends on couple things:

1) When will it be available?
2) Will us rogers people be able to get it through them?
3) Will it work with the 2004 TL Hands Free?
4) Am I patient enough to wait? - I doubt this is true!

The existing T616 is nice, but has very small buttons and smells like it is about to be obsolete.

CrazyNuts.