question about in dash lcd screens

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004 | 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

question about in dash lcd screens

im thinking about getting one for my 2002 tls but if i do will i have to take out my in dash 6 disc cd changer
Old 06-07-2004 | 01:42 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by TeHeLeEsE
im thinking about getting one for my 2002 tls but if i do will i have to take out my in dash 6 disc cd changer
if i recall, with some minor modding you may be able to get it to fit into the little storage tray area above the radio. really depends on which LCD you're going for. you'll have to check the thickness of all the models you've looked at then go back and measure.

when it comes down to it you may want to pony up some more bucks and get a new head unit with a good size LCD that can play dvd's or has alternate display inputs for whatever it is you want to display and just ditch the stock HU alltogether. let us know how it goes.

SSTS
Old 06-07-2004 | 04:19 PM
I got 99 Problems

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
if i recall, with some minor modding you may be able to get it to fit into the little storage tray area above the radio. really depends on which LCD you're going for. you'll have to check the thickness of all the models you've looked at then go back and measure.

when it comes down to it you may want to pony up some more bucks and get a new head unit with a good size LCD that can play dvd's or has alternate display inputs for whatever it is you want to display and just ditch the stock HU alltogether. let us know how it goes.

SSTS
i agree with ssts i just replaced my HU for a Caska 6.5'' slide down double din player its well worth it.
Old 06-07-2004 | 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

SSTS
hmm
so far my searching is in vain.
yea, replacing the storage bin above the cd changer was my initial plan, but after browsing around for in dash lcd screens, theyre all like an inch bigger than what would fin in that small amount of space.

and regarding that "minor modding," what could i do to increase the space availiable besides take out the entire cd changer essembly out
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:23 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Originally Posted by ABBOUSHI
i agree with ssts i just replaced my HU for a Caska 6.5'' slide down double din player its well worth it.
whatsa caska?
Old 06-08-2004 | 01:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
whatsa caska?
good question

Old 06-08-2004 | 06:44 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

hmm
so far my searching is in vain.
yea, replacing the storage bin above the cd changer was my initial plan, but after browsing around for in dash lcd screens, theyre all like an inch bigger than what would fin in that small amount of space.

and regarding that "minor modding," what could i do to increase the space availiable besides take out the entire cd changer essembly out
after you remove the storage bin there isnt much else to do unless you trimmed the dash panel down. which would leave you open to all sorts of regret if you mess it up.

i could have sworn another member put an lcd screen in there before. i know my friend had bought a cheapass LCD from circuit city and put it where the clock went in his subaru, so i know they make them to fit, because that clock wasn't very big. good luck, but aside from pulling the head unit i don't think there is much else you can do.

SSTS
Old 06-08-2004 | 08:57 AM
Drifting

I was quoted about $2000 for the entire job, parts and labor.. parts including the 1/2din lcd that would fit in there. I believe it was motorized as well.

If you remove the stock hu, you use the amp for the sub right? You would have to replace it with another amp? I am new too this.
Old 06-08-2004 | 09:06 AM
Instructor

http://www.utdallas.edu/~linc507/toys/

these are pics of the lcd installed, but not yet with a faceplate. i never took pics after i put that in.. oh well

timmov is the video of tim's (snook) setup, which i sorta worked off of to install.
ron is streeteffectz's demo of multi screens in the car.
the rest are my pics.

there's a sticky in the audio/electronics forum over at ACL, and silverknight has some good install tips.

i'll have to say it took way too much effort to cut/shave the single din unit down to half din to make it fit in that card holder slot. and while i'm glad its done, i probably wouldnt do it again
Old 06-09-2004 | 01:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DuckBlue
http://www.utdallas.edu/~linc507/toys/

these are pics of the lcd installed, but not yet with a faceplate. i never took pics after i put that in.. oh well

timmov is the video of tim's (snook) setup, which i sorta worked off of to install.
ron is streeteffectz's demo of multi screens in the car.
the rest are my pics.

there's a sticky in the audio/electronics forum over at ACL, and silverknight has some good install tips.

i'll have to say it took way too much effort to cut/shave the single din unit down to half din to make it fit in that card holder slot. and while i'm glad its done, i probably wouldnt do it again
man thats perfect! well the sides would need to be filled in with something, but still, exactly what im looking for.
can i get details on the exact model number and details, it would help a bunch
thanks
Old 06-09-2004 | 07:27 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by Bxscig
I was quoted about $2000 for the entire job, parts and labor.. parts including the 1/2din lcd that would fit in there. I believe it was motorized as well.

If you remove the stock hu, you use the amp for the sub right? You would have to replace it with another amp? I am new too this.
if you do it yourself it won't cost you $2000

the LCD my friend bought at circuit city was not motorized and only cost like $250 i think. but remember, this is not high quality we are talking about. but still cool. with some imagination and some liquor im sure one could fabricate some holding brackets to do their own install on a motorized LCD.

if you take out the stock headunit you need to use an aftermarket amp if you intend to use an aftermarket sub. the stock sub will no longer be functional. plus the stock amp is weak at best, so you won't be able to drive another speaker on it. it's pretty easy to set up though so do not get discouraged just yet.

SSTS
Old 06-09-2004 | 09:32 AM
Drifting

if you do it yourself it won't cost you $2000

the LCD my friend bought at circuit city was not motorized and only cost like $250 i think. but remember, this is not high quality we are talking about. but still cool. with some imagination and some liquor im sure one could fabricate some holding brackets to do their own install on a motorized LCD.

if you take out the stock headunit you need to use an aftermarket amp if you intend to use an aftermarket sub. the stock sub will no longer be functional. plus the stock amp is weak at best, so you won't be able to drive another speaker on it. it's pretty easy to set up though so do not get discouraged just yet.

SSTS
I would give it a try but i really have no experience with bondo or anything with this. So basically once I remove the stock HU, the stock sub becomes unless. I couldn't get another amp to drive the stock sub?
Old 06-09-2004 | 10:11 AM
Instructor

I used same model as tim- pioneer P7300. its a screen only- they have models that have cd/dvd player built in, but i opted to take the cheap route and use a ps2 as dvd player. that, and i can now play games. (not while driving of course)

I just bought a blitzsafe adapter and ran the audio through that to the stock headunit- and this way i can keep the steering wheel controls. P7300 was 400-500 ish for a refurb on ebay, blitzsafe is ~80 shipped at logjam. ps2 wasnt getting much use in my house, so this setup ran about half a G, but lots of labor. As a college student, $$ doesnt come easy, and installation definitely kills boredom.

for now, i put back the note tray faceplate so the sides are filled in. will try to get some pics in the future. i'd have to warn you though, this model required quite a bit of modifying to make it fit- and metal cutting thats really close to the screen.

the pioneer model's screen comes up from the top half of the unit, which is why we needed to cut the din unit itself. i think in silverknight's panasonic writeup, the screen was on the bottom half, in which you can just stuff the whole unit behind the AC console, and do less cutting. but doublecheck on that first.
Old 06-09-2004 | 10:14 AM
Instructor

as a summer project, i'm looking to put in a reverse camera. anybody done this before and can give me some hints on what to look for in a camera? my local frys doesnt carry them (someone mentioned they were 99$ at frys) and i dont know much about the ones on ebay (~50$)

and as we dont have a trunk keyhole, any suggestions on where to mount it?
Old 06-09-2004 | 10:58 AM
Pro

I looked for the model of pioneer P7300 and could not find anything on ebay for an actual unit. Just harnesses and adapters. Anyone know of another place? Plus can someone give a link for the sticky thread for installing this unit into the storage tray on the 2002 TL?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2004 | 12:57 PM
Instructor

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128292 sticky

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=97606 actual thread about motorized screen

overstock.com used to carry it for 550 refurb.. but i dont see it anymore
Old 06-09-2004 | 01:07 PM
Pro

kewl thx
Old 06-10-2004 | 03:11 AM
Cruisin'

man thats perfect! well the sides would need to be filled in with something, but still, exactly what im looking for.
can i get details on the exact model number and details, it would help a bunch
thanks
bump