Quality Replacement Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Quality Replacement Speaker

On my Search for a Good 10 inch Sub for the Trunk, I think I may look for a good 6x9 Replacement set of Speakers for the Car as well. Someone enlighten me on a Good Quality speaker. Will 6.5's work or is more cutting required ?

I've heard some good things posted about Boston Acoustics.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2001, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the Boston Acoustic Rally RM9 speakers. The RM9 is a coaxial speaker that uses the same tweeter and woofer materials that the Rally Components use but the speakers are coaxial. It also has a REAL crossover built into the speaker itself unlike all other coaxial speakers. IMHO you cant do much better than the RM9 for sound quality that fits in the factory spot. Check http://www.tms-electronics.com/ and you can fing them for as little as $220 which is a steal for what amounts to high quality Components in the factory 6x9 location.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:58 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Yes, those Bostons definatly kick ass!! Also, another good choice is Polk, but I imagine you might have a hard time getting either in the rear deck because of those damn metal bars... They both have HUGE magnets on them. I dunno though, I have Boston Rally (older model) 6x9's back there and they seemed to fit ok...
Old 10-26-2001, 01:50 AM
Drifting

I have 6.5 in the back 6X9 locations. I used a piece of plywood that's cut out to a 6x9 with a 6.5 hole in the middle of it. fits awesome and sounds great. At first I had some infinity kappa 6x9 that were a pain in the ass and didn't fit that well. I also didn't like the sound of them. Another thing you need to consider is do you like that real bright treble or do you rather a more smooth softer sounding tweeter. I think the Boston might have a metal dome tweeter which is a more brighter sounding tweeter and the polks I think have a silk dome which is the softer sounding one. I prefer the silk over the metal...the kappa's were a metal dome and it was too much. The CDT's I have sound great! They have a very nice crossover with a tweeter mounted on top. here is the link if you want to check it out.. http://www.cdtaudio.com/Classic_Braxial.htm . JMO
Old 10-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

The Boston Acoustic Neo 3r Kortec tweeters used in the Rally Components and RM9 speakers are a soft dome silky fabric material with a stiffening agent added to them. The Boston Pro series have aluminum domes but are not as harsh of a tweeter as Infinity or MB Quart... both of which I find offesively bright. Bostons dont hurt your ears
Old 10-26-2001, 08:45 PM
speed freak

ur into big shit if u wanna go focals...those will smoke all those out of the water....they are high end...no messin around, plus they sound sweet and clear...and u can get them for pretty good prices
Old 10-26-2001, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I agree, I'd go focal too....by the way, we carry Focal if you are interested....email ron@streeteffectz.com or call 908-222-7207
Old 10-29-2001, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Dev L
Look at the Boston Acoustic Rally RM9 speakers. The RM9 is a coaxial speaker that uses the same tweeter and woofer materials that the Rally Components use but the speakers are coaxial. It also has a REAL crossover built into the speaker itself unlike all other coaxial speakers. IMHO you cant do much better than the RM9 for sound quality that fits in the factory spot. Check http://www.tms-electronics.com/ and you can fing them for as little as $220 which is a steal for what amounts to high quality Components in the factory 6x9 location.
The RM9's are a pretty tight fit, and the trunk hinge torsion bars slightly rub against the huge magnets. But everything manages to work O.K. Overall, I'm pretty happy. However, don't expect great high frequency response unless you replace the door speakers with quality separates (Bostons, Focals, etc...) and the Blows power amp. BTW, how do you plan to drive your new back 6x9's?
Old 10-29-2001, 02:10 PM
Banned

Speakers

So, replace the Door Speakers along with the 6x9s ?? Hmmm

Originally posted by technoid

The RM9's are a pretty tight fit, and the trunk hinge torsion bars slightly rub against the huge magnets. But everything manages to work O.K. Overall, I'm pretty happy. However, don't expect great high frequency response unless you replace the door speakers with quality separates (Bostons, Focals, etc...) and the Blows power amp. BTW, how do you plan to drive your new back 6x9's?
Old 10-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Thats what I would do. front and back...but if your only going to do one I would do the doors instead of the 6x9's
Old 10-29-2001, 04:10 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NOLACLS
Thats what I would do. front and back...but if your only going to do one I would do the doors instead of the 6x9's
Yup, that's how it should be done.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:28 PM
Banned

Powering the Amp / Speakers

I'm looking to get one 10inch Sub for added base, an amp that will adequately push it. Guess I'll get some advice From Circuit City on doing that. Can the Amp go thru the RM9s and the 1 10 Inch Sub ? or Would the Amp just need to go through the Sub alone ? Sorry for the Ignorance. I don't know too much, except for what I read here about Audio Components.

Thanks

Originally posted by technoid