Pro Clip iPod mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 10:23 PM
Racer

Pro Clip iPod mount problem

I'm not bad mouthing ProClip because I just wrote them today and haven't heard back.

What I'd like to know from members is: have you had any problems with ProClip products?

I bought a ProClip vehicle mount for my CL - sits on the trim beside the radio. Mounted on it is a ProClip powered iPod cradle with tilt swivel. When I put the iPod in it - it locked up initially. I reset the iPod and after that it played, but the iPod battery was toast. It would discharge (from full charge) in 20 minutes.

I sent the iPod off to Apple (under warranty) and had it repaired. I wasn't convinced it was the ProClip cradle - iPod batteries don't have the best reputation after all. When I got my replacement iPod I decided...well, it was stupid, but I decided to give it another try just to see.

"Hey, that Coke machine stole my 50 cents! That's weird. I'll put in another 50 cents and see if it steals it again."

Except it's a $350 "coke" and that probably wasn't too bright. In any event - it started to get hot and skip so I removed the iPod. The weirdest thing is that even when I unplugged the cord it skipped - so maybe there's a short in the docking connector. I don't know. In any event, it doesn't appear to be damaged, but needless to say I'm not keen to experiment further and void my iPod's warranty.

I'm not holding a grudge against ProClip. Products can be defective - I guess I just got one of the bad ones.

Unless - of course - I get a chorus of people who have had bad experiences with ProClip products. So, what say you, Acuraziners? Problems? Rumors?

To answer the obvious follow up question: I have a cell phone charger and a portable GPS charger - both of which work fine in either 12V power port in my CL. In addition - the ProClip cradle malfunctioned when plugged into either port and even when not plugged in. That leads me to believe the car is not at fault. Apple sent me a brand new iPod, not my old one - so the iPod is not at fault.

And yes, I'm a moron. Thank goodness I didn't fry another one!