Preamp outs on the 03 CL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preamp outs on the 03 CL?

First post :P

Anyway, I just put in my order for an 03 Anthracite Type-S MT, and I have a quick question regarding the radio. Since it's a lease, and the Bose radio is supposedly pretty good, is it reasonable to consider that there may be preamps on the head unit? If not, is there some way I can hook up my Rockford amp and 12's?

A friend told me about some type of connector you can use, that pulls off of the rear speaker. Anyone done this?

Sorry if this is a repeated topic. Search function isn't working well for some reason.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a common audio question on this board.

Since you can't do permenent mods to your car I would suggest taping your amp into the outs on the Bose Amp. Some people have amps that have inline inputs, others don't. If you don't, you will need to buy a converter that converts the signal to RCA cables. Some argue this is the cleanest way to go. Cost: ~$30

There are lots of illustrations and directions for doing this. Do a search and be patient. Also check out the Extrememly useful topics area and/or the Audio section.

Welcome...and enjoy your six spd...
Old 11-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Preamp outs on the 03 CL?

Originally posted by Revelation
First post :P

Anyway, I just put in my order for an 03 Anthracite Type-S MT, and I have a quick question regarding the radio. Since it's a lease, and the Bose radio is supposedly pretty good, is it reasonable to consider that there may be preamps on the head unit? If not, is there some way I can hook up my Rockford amp and 12's?

A friend told me about some type of connector you can use, that pulls off of the rear speaker. Anyone done this?

Sorry if this is a repeated topic. Search function isn't working well for some reason.

The Stock HU, runs pre-outs to the BOSE amp in the rear. A company sells a nice conncetor that goes on the back of the HU and has two female RCA jacks which you can then connect a long RCA cable and run it to your AMP. A quick search in the audio section should help you find it.

Or else you can splice your own connector in

I really don't suggest running a high to low converter from the speaker output of the bose amp. They sound bad compared to the pure line level feed from the HU. But who'd figure right? heh
Old 11-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Siggy,Don't you still have to run a voltage reducer out of the rca's from the head unit to get a clear noise free signal?
Old 11-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Preamp outs on the 03 CL?

Originally posted by SiGGy
The Stock HU, runs pre-outs to the BOSE amp in the rear. A company sells a nice conncetor that goes on the back of the HU and has two female RCA jacks which you can then connect a long RCA cable and run it to your AMP. A quick search in the audio section should help you find it.

Or else you can splice your own connector in

I really don't suggest running a high to low converter from the speaker output of the bose amp. They sound bad compared to the pure line level feed from the HU. But who'd figure right? heh
this part can be bought from linkmeup.com . the part is for 98 acuras and up. i have it connected to my stock headunit right now and it works just fine.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by oghondaman
Siggy,Don't you still have to run a voltage reducer out of the rca's from the head unit to get a clear noise free signal?
No, not on this head unit. It's a true line level feed to the bose amp in the rear.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Instructor

I just finished doing a simple install on our CL. Yes, it's a lease. After looking at the factory wiring, there is no way in hell the dealer is going to know if you splice into the HU line-level wires going to the stock amp (from the factory there is electric tape wrapped around the wire bundle so you can't see the wire itself). I cut each and every one and soldered a RCA jack onto every pair (I have 4 RCAs going to the xover and 4 going back to the stock amp). Was EZ to do and will be EZ to undo .

Running the power cable is cake. I ran it under the carpet after only removing the front driver's seat and rear seats... you can use coathangers to snake the cable from the rear to the front, feeding through the holes in the carpet left by the front seat. There're holes in the firewall for you to get through and can mount the inline fuse on the side of the battery holder (they'll never see it). See SilverKnight's page for more info. Even done this way, it only took me 1 hr w/o instructions or help to get a professional result... will take about 30 minutes to undo.

And no, you don't have to put a voltage reducer on the line-level signals from the HU.

You probably have the lease for at least 3 yrs... that's plenty of time to enjoy a quality system and IMHO is worth the trouble of taking it all out again. G/L!

-- Nihil