Popping noise...??

Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping noise...??

well....i just installed my pioneer deck with a little pioneer amp to power my door speakers.....every time i change a song, or turn on and off the deck, i hear a loud pop. what is the problem?? Audio guys help me out please....thanks guys
Old 02-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Sometimes with Eqs and factory dekcs it happens. When with a after marker deck this is what I can tell you.

One: Gain is set to high.
Two: some older amps will do this,
Three: double check alll the wiring.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I would check all your grounds. Make sure they are good and solid and touching bare metal.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Instructor

can it be that i need to bypass the factory eq and amp?? cuz i heard that from an audio dude around here...
Old 02-20-2003, 03:24 AM
Pro

What you've got is a coupling problem between units somehow. A thump or pop will occur whenever a coupling cap charges or discharges when DC power is suddenly applied.

Depending upon which unit (the deck, the EQ, or the amp) powers up first, could cause this problem by applying DC out of sequence to the input coupling caps of one of the devices.

You'll definitely need to provide some more info as to how you have things wired and configured...

When you say you installed a new deck... Do you mean a new head unit/cd changer? If so, why is the EQ even involved now? Wouldn't you just hook the new deck up directly to the new amp? and disconnect the power to the EQ unit? Is the factory HU amp still used somehow? If so to feed what? I guess you do still need the EQ unit to feed the stock subamp, unless your new deck has a low frequency output??? If the new deck doesn't have a low freq output and you are still using the low freq portion of the EQ to feed the subamp, then I suspect an interconnect problem between your new deck and the EQ unit. The EQ is a balanced circuit with floating grounds. Things need to be done just right, to avoid things such as pops and engine whine, etc. Your new deck and amp may cause this pop anomaly all by themselves... but I would hope not if things were wired correctly. Somewhere you have a major impedance mismatch or balanced/unbalanced situation that doesn't allow the coupling caps to charge or discharge in the proper sequence. Either that, or the new amplifier has a RUDE bias up circuit that should be muted for the first second or so to prevent the pop, and somehow that's not working properly. The stock HU has a nice ramp up feature to prevent this. A third possibility is that the power supply wire needs better decoupling from other sources that it may also feed. Power spikes from one unit may be getting into your new unit and cause the pops.

Is it the door speakers that pop or just the subwoofer??? That could be a big clue. IF it's just the sub, then the remote turn on from the new deck is turning the subamp on too late, or as stated above, the interface between your new deck and the sub portion of the EQ unit is improperly connected due to an impedance mismatch or a balanced/unbalanced situation. Sometimes a simple 100ohm-1kohm resistor floating across the inputs of each device is enough to keep the sudden onset of a DC voltage from "popping" through the coupling cap as it charges to its proper bias level.

You may be in for a lot of trial and error type of troubleshooting. Also, as others have suggested, make sure your grounds are SOLID! BUT ALSO MAKE SURE THAT "FLOATING" GROUNDS REMAIN FLOATING!!! To tie a floating ground common to chassis ground could easily cause this mismatch by unbalancing a balanced line.

GOOD LUCK!
Southbound
Old 02-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Instructor

okay, here is my setup:

First, i bought a new wiring harness (the salesperson said it was for an accord and its the same) and hooked up my Pioneer DVH-P7000 dvd receiver deck. from the deck the speaker outputs go into an audiocontrol four.1 eq from there, it goes to a little pioneer amp that powers my mids and highs. On my Pioneer deck, there is also a sub output that i used. That went straight into my Audiobahn a2300hcq amp for my 2 aw1208q subs. So right now, i am not using any of the factory equipment. Everything has been rewired. One thing that i think might be making the popping noise is that the wiring harness that im using is still receiving signals from the factory amp to the deck or vice versa. Also, im getting a lot of whining noises so i gotta go check all of my ground.

Thanks all yall for helping me....AGP
Old 02-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Instructor

oh yea, every time i change a song or turn off and on the deck, all of the speakers pop, including the subs (LOUD!!) now that i just installed the subs.....my friend with another TL is also having that problem with his setup too.....
Old 02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
With your ignition off, check to see if you have a voltage on the remote turn-on terminal on each amp. If you do, then you need to refeed them with a switched 12V source, not a constant source.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro

Brewboy has a really good thought. If the two amps get power as soon as you hit the key, then as soon as you power up the new deck, they would get slammed with a spike that they would reproduce. If on the other hand, they are properly switched on with the remote deck power, they should all bias up at the same time and avoid a LOUD thud... Also, make sure to disconnect the power supply wire to the factory HU and the factory EQ. Your theory of voltages being fed back and forth on the same line could also be the source of the problem.

Where do you PHYSICALLY have the new PIONEER HU mounted? Is the Blose HU still in the dash? In any case, I'd get to the back of the stock HU and EQ and disconnect their power wires. It's not easy to do, and maybe the installers have already done that, but I'd make sure. If you've got a LONG run between the deck and the amps, you could also have crosstalk and ground loop problems. That shouldn't really cause a LOUD thud, but it would cause engine whine and electrical noise, etc.

Good luck!
Southbound
Old 02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Instructor

i dont have my blose hu anymore....my pioneer deck and the audiocontrol eq sits in it's location....also, the amp turns on whenever the hu turns on, not when i turn the key on....lemme go try to see if i can cut all of the speaker outputs from the factory harness and leave just the remote, power, and ground?? is that a good idea??
Old 02-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Instructor

hello??
Old 02-27-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro

The speaker outs shouldn't be going anywhere else if you've removed the stock HU. That's the only place the speaker wires came from. SO what wires are being used to feed your door speakers now? If you've added new wiring from the new amp and the Blose HU has physically been removed... then I would think that the OLD speaker wires are open ended at both ends. If that's the case... I wouldn't worry about them.

I would try to isolate the EQ unit if it hasn't been done already. Make it dead and out of the way by disconnecting its power wire and its input and output wires if they are on the SAME harness as the NEW HU LINE feeds. This may or may not solve your thumps and pops... but it would be a better install this way. Just keep track of the cut wires so that you could go back to stock some day if you sell the car and want to keep the new HU, and restore the blose crap, etc.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up solution

I had the same problem with my premier deck as well. I found out that if you ground the deck to the out side of the rca's the noise will all go away I have no Idea why, but it is better than blowing up another sub.