Polk Speakers - Comments Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polk Speakers - Comments Please

I am thinking about putting Polk DX6 speakers in front and DX9 speakers in back (keeping OEM tweeters). I don't want to do any more stereo mods at this time, just want the OEM stereo to sound better. Does anyone have these speakers? Do you like them? Will the OEM amp give them enough power?

Also, anyone know what the front and rear speaker clearance is to prevent interference?
Old 01-20-2002, 12:11 AM
CL_Terminator

If you plan on upgrading the stereo system in your CL. I recommend upgrading the entire thing at one time. Especially if your CL has the Bose system in it. If your not wanted the upgrade the entire thing, I recommend that you leave it alone. I don't know of your familarity with the Bose Systems. But the system run at extermely low impedances. 99% of all aftermaket speakers run at 4 ohm. But Bose is notorious for having their speakers running at 1 ohm. Bottom line is, that when you hook up your aftemarket speakers to your bose system, you will only be getting 1/4 of the power that the factory bose would have been getting. So if your not ready to a speaker/amp upgrade, I suggest that you leave it alone. The Polk highs are awesome speakers. But more than likely your factory system will sound better for the fact that bose amp will be supplying 4x the power to them. If you have any other questions let me know.

Allerick B.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by CL_Terminator
Bose is notorious for having their speakers running at 1 ohm. Bottom line is, that when you hook up your aftemarket speakers to your bose system, you will only be getting 1/4 of the power that the factory bose would have been getting.

Allerick B.
Thanks, if our Bose is like this, then it sounds like I would have been wasting my money. Has anyone else tried replacing the speakers only and regretted it?
Old 01-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Turn Signals are good!

You can replace just the speakers and still get great sound... but your maximum volume is much lower. Polk speakers are amazing, and definatly a great choice! I also kept my stock tweeters... they are actually great sounding, but I have them running off an aftermarket amp. You will still get good sound by just changing the speakers... just as I said, you'll be stuck with lower listening levels. You will gain a lot of sound quality though.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:56 AM
CL_Terminator

If I were you I would leave it alone. If your not ready to replace that factory Bose amp. I'd leave the entire system alone. Yeah, like he said you may increase the quality of your sound, but they volume will be greately reduced. The reason that most people replace their factory system if to obtain greater sound quality at higher volume. And to sucessfully accomplish that your going to need to put those DX's on an aftermarket amp. If your not ready to replace the amp, and still want to get some better highs, I would suggest that you go with the Polk EX series. They are the same quality speakers, but intended for situations where they will be put on factory amps/headunits. Given the same amount of limited power from your Bose amp, the EX series will play considerabley louder than te DX series. But don't underestimate the factory system. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Cause if your system is similar to the on in my Legend. Its an 8-speaker full component set. Bottom line components are more desirable than coaxial period. I'd suggest that you either stick with the factory Bose system they way it is, or go with EX-series components.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

CL_Terminator,

I just got my new TL-S and I'm not happy with my Bose speakers and want to improve the sound . In your last post you mentioned that it's best to replace the amp w/a more powerful one that can drive the higher ohm aftermarket speakers - my question is this . . . where is the amp located? is it integrated in the radio, or is the radio a passive device?

I really don't want to replace the stock radio because among others, I like the way the center console looks - the fir and finish is great and I don't want to mess that up with a new radio - any insights would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by ncstatesman
CL_Terminator,

I just got my new TL-S and I'm not happy with my Bose speakers and want to improve the sound . In your last post you mentioned that it's best to replace the amp w/a more powerful one that can drive the higher ohm aftermarket speakers - my question is this . . . where is the amp located? is it integrated in the radio, or is the radio a passive device?

I really don't want to replace the stock radio because among others, I like the way the center console looks - the fir and finish is great and I don't want to mess that up with a new radio - any insights would be helpful!

Thanks!
You definatly can replace the amp and keep the stock deck... a lot of people do because it looks good and its kinda nice to have a 6 disc changer right in front of you. I do not remember where the amp is located in that car, im a first gen person. If you replace the amp though, then you run into the impedance matching problem, and the fact that the stock speakers will not handle the power of an aftermarket amp, plus most amps would just switch off at the sight of such a low impedance. If you want better sound, with a higher volume, you have to replace the amp and speakers. This can be done by replacing the factory amp with an aftermarket 4 chanel amp and use the high level inputs if it has them, or an add on line output converter to the signal from the factory deck. Then use the factory speaker wires to the new speakers. A good combination is to leave the stock tweeters in the sail panel, and add coaxial (woofer with tweeter in the middle) speakers front and rear all running off the new amp. This way you do not have to do any special wirring in the front, and it gives you great sound.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

hey SumkidwithaCL,

Thanks a bunch - you told me what I wanted to hear! I'm not a high end car stereo guy, but i do want better sound.

You did not mention the Bose woofer, do I reaplce that as well, or just leave hooked up to the rest of the system, or do I just disconnect the woofer and leave alone?

Also, any recommendations for the 4 co-ax speakers and a 4 channel amp? - not looking for very loud output - I just wanta much better sound than these Bose spkrs provide!

Thanks!
ncstatesman
Old 01-23-2002, 01:01 PM
CL_Terminator

CL_Terminator,

Thanks!
If your Bose System is similar to mine then the factory bose amp is located behind the rear seat. More than likely it isn't intergrated into the radio for the simple fact that Acura has to cram enough equipment up there already (Radio, Changer, Navigation Systme, if applicable, etc.). But as you mentioned, the center console is a very sleek arrangement, and I don't think I want to mess with it either. Its not hard to replace the factory amp. But depending on were you go, they will charge you an arm and a leg to do it. But don't be fooled it can easily be done. Especially if your system is similar to mine. Its actually very convenient the way the bose system is wired. But no car audio store is going to let you know that. What I would suggest for you is a modestly powered of amp of say about 25 watts RMS x 4 per channel. But make sure you choose a good namebrand. I would highly recommend PPI, but I would steer away from Rockfords. I am an authorizeded dealer of PPI, and I can make you some suggestions that I am certian you'd be pleased with. But I'm not trying to make a sale, cause you can chose to buy from who you want, just don't let them take you to the cleaners. Also the Bose system is a very high quality system, regarless of what anyone might say. The bose people are very smart at building their systems and run them at low impedances with a purpose. So if do replace it, be sure to replace it with equally or higher quality products. You may contact me at <A HREF="mailto:cyberbuzzcity@hotmail.com">cyberbuzzc ity@hotmail.com</A> with your phone number and I'd be more that happy to make some recommendations to you.

Allerick B.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Howdy Allerick,

thanks a bunch for the insights, really appreciate it!
I'm really dissapointed w/the Bose speakers and would like to replace them in the next 2/3 months - I suppose 4x25wtts/chnl should be loud enough, right? - I don't play my radio and cd's very loud.

I'd like an amp with that has a signal to noise ratio of at least 100dB and a freq range of 40/50HZ-20kHz and THD+N under than .5% and on the speaker side a response of 50Hz to 20kHz @+/-3dB - I'd like to do all this w/install for well under $800 - I'm sure I can do it myself, but the idea of removing door panels, seats, and what not makes me squeamish given that I got my 2002 TL-s last friday - I'd hate for everything to not go back together correctly

I've never heard of PPI, do they have a web site where I can see their specs?
Also, what do I do with the bose subwoofer - do I run it with my aftermarket speakers?
I assume the best bet is to keep the tweeters, buy 4 co-ax speakers and the 4 channel amp, right?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2002, 11:20 AM
CL_Terminator

A responce is Coming ncstatesman, I've just been very busy the last couple of days, I'll reply back within the end of the day. Thanks

Allerick B.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:59 PM
CL_Terminator

Howdy Allerick,

thanks a bunch for the insights, really appreciate it!
I'm really dissapointed w/the Bose speakers and would like to replace them in the next 2/3 months - I suppose 4x25wtts/chnl should be loud enough, right? - I don't play my radio and cd's very loud.

I'd like an amp with that has a signal to noise ratio of at least 100dB and a freq range of 40/50HZ-20kHz and THD+N under than .5% and on the speaker side a response of 50Hz to 20kHz @+/-3dB - I'd like to do all this w/install for well under $800 - I'm sure I can do it myself, but the idea of removing door panels, seats, and what not makes me squeamish given that I got my 2002 TL-s last friday - I'd hate for everything to not go back together correctly

I've never heard of PPI, do they have a web site where I can see their specs?
Also, what do I do with the bose subwoofer - do I run it with my aftermarket speakers?
I assume the best bet is to keep the tweeters, buy 4 co-ax speakers and the 4 channel amp, right?

Thanks!

I've got the perfect system suggestion for you, let me know when you are ready to do it, and I'll be happy to help you out with it.

Allerick B.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just wanna know about the system, how hard to replace it and other info, how about click on the link in my sig and go to sound system template? You can find out more.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Allerick, I'll send you an e-mail - Thanks!

Silver Knight, thanks for the link!