Pioneer Ipod Interface receives some bad reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pioneer Ipod Interface receives some bad reviews

The Pioneer IB-100 Ipod interface has just been released.
I've been waiting for this for awhile and after reading some reviews on Crutchfield, I'm dissappointed.

I have a Pioneer deck with a flip out screen and the reviews are basically saying that when you use this interface, then the entire screen is blank. You only get to see the directory/track info on a 8 character display. I have the Sirius addon to my N1, and that also works the same way. These add-on units connect to the N1 as an external unit, so the although the sound is very good, the control of the addon units are very limited

If you have a newer 2005 deck, I don't this applies to you as much. But if you have a 2004 or older Pioneer deck, I would probably stay away from this for now. When you read the description of the product, it's very deceiving because a lot of the functionality is only available for the 2005 decks.

Here's a link to where I got the reviews:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xp5l906...B100&id=review
Not near what I expected
Written by Jeff DePrey, Charlotte NC on April 5, 2005

Sorry to say, this unit was not quite what I expected.
For someone with a 1 line digital display on there head unit this is probably what they would expect.
But for me, I have a AVICN1 with a 6" touchscreen display I was expecting allot more. For one thing the AVIC has a awesome MP3 CD screen that lets you
browse a MP3 CD with nice menus as if it was a directory structure. On a 6" inch display I get 1 line of text that holds like 6 characters and cuts off most song
titles.
For example I hit the Band button to select from ARTIST PLAYLIST ALBUMS or GENDER, then I hit the up and down button to get to the artist I want to hear.
Then hit the band button again to get to the album option and go to the album I want to hear, this is all on the same 1 line 6 characters of text.
I have a 60GIG IPOD I just bought it couple weeks ago and got around 50GIG or songs on it.
It would take me like 1 hour to get from A to Z on this thing going forward through the artists, me and my buddy was laughing pretty hard at lunch while trying to pull
up a certain album.
Anyway I called Pioneer to ask if I had it setup correctly, if I upgraded to the N2 would it be better etc. and the guy just told me that if I had a cheaper head unit it
would give me more of what I expected. I laughed at him and told him I paid $2,000 for my AVIC and that was plenty, it should be more full featured than this
period.
I mean they guy would never admit that maybe for some reason I would expect anything more out of this thing, there couldnt possibly be a better way to handle
browsing through this many songs, or for that matter I should never have expected for this unit to
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-existent UI
Written by David, Seattle, Washington on April 5, 2005

I've got the Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD - their "top-of-the-line" DVD-Audio/Video unit, and I was looking for something a little better than aux in for my iPod, so, picked up the CD-IB100 from my local retailer and wired it up.

With any head unit other than the AVH-P5700, the deck treats the iPod as an "external unit" - providing you extremely generic and cryptic functions.

The functions are as follows:
* Key 1-6 (not used with iPod)
* Function 1
* Function 2
* Function 3
* Function 4 (not used)
* Auto/Manual

In order to get to any of these, you have to first go to the A.Menu, then Function, then choose Function 1-3 or A/M, then once inside there, press a toggle button to change the behavior. Function 1 is Pause On/Off, Function 2 is Repeat Trk/All, and Function 3 is display. (Oh, and the display is a whopping 8 characters.)

Selecting what you want to listen to is no easy task either. On the main screen, you're presented with up/down, left/right, and BAND. BAND will scroll between Playlist, Artist, Album, and Genre. Up/Down will choose a playlist/artist/album/genre, and left/right does one of two things:
- In AUTO mode, chooses tracks.
- In MANUAL mode, fast-forwards or rewinds.

I was extremely unimpressed with the control and interface of this device, in fact, as soon as I played with it for 3 minutes, promptly removed it from my car and returned it to the store.

It's more work if you don't have a AVH-P5700DVD than it's worth. I'd go for the $30 aux in adapter and a cup-holder cradle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written by k4lk, St. Petersburg, Florida on April 5, 2005

I am using this adapter with a 2005 model DEH-P770MP head-unit. The HU treats the iPod adapter as an External Unit. The iPod user interface is awful. You get to see only 8 characters at a time. Ever-scrolling is apparently not supported. You have to use function 3 to initiate a single scroll. The band button selects the item to be browsed (playlist, genre, artist, album). For example, select artist. It begins playing the first artist it sees. If you have more than one album for that artist, hit BAND to browse albums. It will allow you to select albums in that artist with wrap-around. If you want to change artist you have to hit BAND again to browse other artists. Here's the awful part: it goes back to the top of each list each time you hit BAND. For example, I selected Ozzy Osbourne with ARTIST browsing, then ALBUM to select "Prince of Darkness". I then decided I had enough and wanted Judas Priest. Hit BAND to go back to ARTIST and it resets the browser to .38 Special!! I might also mention that you push the multi-control up and down to browse the current list and it is really slow. As soon as you select the next item there is a pause while it searches, loads and begins playing. This browse method might be okay for small music libraries but I have an iPod photo with 10,000 songs. The audio sounds great, though.

Sorry, Crutchfield.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can attest to this first hand. I installed the ipod adapter to my N1. I am happy with the sound quality, OK as happy as one can be with MP3 sound quality. However, the interface does SUCK. If you try to navigate too fast through the screen menu, it locks up the ipod. I think I am going to take the plunge and get XM. Pioneer is sending me the updated N2 discs, so I will have the NaviTraffic capabilities. Just a bit hesitant about paying $20/month for radio.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

now this doesn't apply to me, but i thought i would drop some wisdom. Pioneer will not be doing anything about this to remedy the lack of display on older models. As their people have told me, frankly it's not worth it. That is why they redid the display features on the new screens
Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Instructor

I am not expecting them to. I just thought it would be good information for anyone else considering thist. I searched for opinions prior to the install. If I had known, I wouldn't have gone for it.