Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions

I've been reading about the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and have some questions, hopefully someone will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance

1) Is there any way to mod it so it will play DVD's, maybe buy a DVD player and put it on a AUX input?

2) I read that you can't use the navi system while driving, is this true? If so how can u mod that? If u can't mod it why in the world would someone want a Navi system where u need to stop and put the parking brake on to find, say a local restaraunt.

3) This one or the similiar Kenwood one? What do you guys think
Old 07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well being in the TL forum you may want to know it will not "fit" the TL....it's not a matter of size it's a matter of the brackets lining up, although I'm pretty sure that you would be able to do a custom job on it...street or End. would have a better opinion, although I did want to let you know that you can install an external DVD player although I believe the motion lock (that it seems everyone has an opinion on positive or negative) is going to still be in effect. I have another thread about the bypass for that, Some are jumping ship b/c of the motion lock although it is still the premier DVD/Navi out...hope this helps
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Oh wow so it doesnt even fit - lol - thanks, thats important i guess. Are there any flush mount double din heads that fit the TL?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Racer

well, like i said, it will fit....just not line up with the brackets....i still think it's worth getting more info though, that unit is hot as it gets....and once you connect your DVD player your set......I hope Street or someone will come on this thread and tell you if you can make a custom bracket....
Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Yea, and i mean its not even ridicoulously expensive but i feel like them motion problem (not letting u use the navi while moving) would make it pointless. Unless there was a definitive work around that, i would never even consider buying it. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The AVIC-N2 is a DVD player. It can handle the DVD-ROM data discs and DVD Video, and thus by definition can handle CD audio too.

The D1 has two drives - a DVD-ROM and a CD-Audio. The DVD_ROM drive won't do DVD audio at all as far as I know, and this is corroborated by the lower cost of the D1 relative to the N2.

So part of its cost savings relative to the N2 is its lower cost optical drives.

I love the idea of the N2 - nobody can make themsleves into an effing menace on the highway. We bought one for the store and are putting one into a show car we are doing for a local company.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Racer

well, here's the deal, you can buy them on ebay from a company that will offer a 1 year warranty with the store not just pioneer for $1300 like i did (the N2 not D1, D1 is much cheaper), as far as the motion thing goes, I found out today at our local shop that if you loop the rear camera cable around to the a/v out then you get the whole screen to watch the movie on and at the bottom in size 4 font it will say (objects may be closer then they appear) which you cannot even notice, so instead of doing the toggle switch bypass I am going to loop it for now and maybe change it up later, believe me this product is well worth the money
Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Advanced

No i understand, thats it's supposedly a good product. And truthfully watching DVD's in my car isnt the most important thing. My problem is as follows:

I need a good head unit for Mp3/radio/cd etc. Which i believe the Avic-D1 is. But also i want a navigation unit, but i couldn't deal with the fact that i would have to stop everytime i need to input something into the navi.

I know my friend had a DVD player which he modified to let him watch movies w/o the parking brake, so im curious if the same workaround is available for the D1 Navigation thing.

As a side note: please let me know the name of that ebay store.

Thanks for all the help/responses
Old 07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Racer

well, as far as i understand if you get the voice add on for it you can still add address while your driving, i'm installing it tomorrow so we'll see! I believe I bought it from 12 volt or something like that...i just kept looking until i found one in the subtitle that said 1 year company warranty
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by Tyzing
well, here's the deal, you can buy them on ebay from a company that will offer a 1 year warranty with the store not just pioneer for $1300 like i did (the N2 not D1, D1 is much cheaper), as far as the motion thing goes, I found out today at our local shop that if you loop the rear camera cable around to the a/v out then you get the whole screen to watch the movie on and at the bottom in size 4 font it will say (objects may be closer then they appear) which you cannot even notice, so instead of doing the toggle switch bypass I am going to loop it for now and maybe change it up later, believe me this product is well worth the money
How can you ignore an image with the words "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR" on it?

And that means you can't use the backup camera, which is a very cool safety feature...
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Racer

well, the words are transparent and like i said the font is very tiny and at the very bottom of the screen....yes a back up camera is a neat feature but not for our cars...we can see mostly everything behind us and I dont think TL owners are the people spending a few hundred dollars to get a camera for our bumpers, excursion yes....TL no......but I like this fix better then the toggle switch for right now

I'll take a screen pic tomorrow and post it.....if all goes according to the plan
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Advanced

I think im missing something. This looparound from the camera to the A/V , is this for a DVD player or to be able to use the Navigation while Moving?

Cause ive been reading other forums about this unit, and some ppl say its possible while others swear its not
Old 07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Racer

well it depends on which unit your using, I'm not as informed on the D1 as i am the N2 although they are basically the same thing....here's the deal, The loop around is only good for watching DVDs it is does not affect entering in addresses....although like i mentioned before, if you get the Voice Recognition for the unit you may enter in address (as far as I know) although, I will find out more about it tomorrow when i install it....which forums are you reading about this, I'd like to check in and see what their saying
Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Wait a minute... you can't use the Navi while the car is moving?!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Wait a minute... you can't use the Navi while the car is moving?!
you can use the navi just not search for a different location while moving....example, while the car is parked you can type in an address and it will take you to that address.....although as mentioned before if you buy the voice recog. piece then you should be able to

p.s. I saw this voice thing in action and i bought it right away, it's crazy how well it works....I thought it would be like those cheap voice typing software for the computer but this is really advanced...worth the 30-40 bucks on ebay
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Do you have the D1 or the N2?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Racer

the N2....although i've seen both in action
Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

As far as the software and programing is concerned the D1 and N2 are identical correct?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Racer

for the most part....actually the XM interface is much much better....if it would install to the TL with no problem then I would have gotten that and installed an external DVD player (b/c it doesnt have one) The XM interface really appealed to me b/c i enjoy XM and always use it....also i think it has a much cleaner look, I'm sure it can be installed though...I just didnt ask around to different installers, and they really wouldnt have known since it only came out last month
Old 07-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

You say it won't fit in the TL. You mean the 3rd Gen or all TL's? I have a 2nd Gen CL and was hoping to install it.

The D1 that is
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Racer

well it fits, I have a 03 but the mounting brackets dont line up....i'm thinking the CL's CD and everything is the same so you would run into the same problem, although I would just make a custom housing, it doesnt take a ton to secure that in the dash
Old 07-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

How does the unit tell you are moving? (I'm a n00b to aftermarket Navigation)
Old 07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Racer

it has gyro sensors which can be fun for you to use b/c they offer actual speeds, how many G's youre pulling in turns and many other items, b/c since it knows when your moving, well and the navi knows your moving it's in the software to not allow DVD's to play in the front and enter addresses....but like i said dont let that worry you b/c if you spend close or over a grand for something then it's stupid to not buy another item for 30-40 bucks
Old 07-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tyzing
it has gyro sensors which can be fun for you to use b/c they offer actual speeds, how many G's youre pulling in turns and many other items, b/c since it knows when your moving, well and the navi knows your moving it's in the software to not allow DVD's to play in the front and enter addresses....but like i said dont let that worry you b/c if you spend close or over a grand for something then it's stupid to not buy another item for 30-40 bucks

Did you use something to retain the OEM steering wheel volume controls?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Racer

well, there is something you can buy for that but i dont have the item number, although that voice thing comes with steering wheel controls too.....so i'm not to worried about the OEM steering wheel
Old 07-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

I don't want to add something else to the steering wheel though. Hrrrrm.

Do you have the XM Traffic feature as well?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Racer

no dont have that....you dont have to mount it to the steering wheel, wherever you want it's just made to fit that right, i'll prob. put mine beside my seat hidden but accessible
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM
VP Electricity

The PAC adapter lets the OEM controls run the Pioneer HU's... SWI-X?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Advanced

I don't know if it's just me , but alot of this isnt making sense. Im gonna try to clarify something for all of us, including me, please tell me if im wrong in any way.

1) The Panasonic Avic-D1 and Avic-N2, are very very similiar.

2) The D1 will not fit into the Sec. Gen TL becuase the brackets dont line up. So far noone has a housing bracket for it.

3) The D1 does not include a feature to watch DVD's. You can buy a DVD player though and hook it up to the a/v input. This will allow u to watch DVD's.

4) You cant watch DVD's while driving. A workaround for this is to hook up the a/v to the rear camera input. The only problem is that "Objects in mirror are larger then they appear" appears on the screen in very small transparent print.

5) The navigation system cannot be used (meaning entering addreses, finding a gas station, etc) while the car is moving.

6) The D1 knows the car is moving from 3 diffirent things 1) The parking brake is down, 2) The GPS sattelites senses a change in ur position 3) the gyro sensor inside the unit

7) So far noone knows of a workaround this problem.

8) A voice kit is available for the D1 which will allow u to use it while the car is moving? (is this correct)

Thanks all, feel free to add or edit
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by memzback
I don't know if it's just me , but alot of this isnt making sense.
Mostly it's just yo, but tyzing needs to use his Return key more and remember what a new paragraph is for.

1) The Panasonic Avic-D1 and Avic-N2, are very very similiar.
I disagree. And they're PIONEER.

2) The D1 will not fit into the Sec. Gen TL becuase the brackets dont line up. So far noone has a housing bracket for it.
I don't know this. In fact, I kinda doubt it to be accurate. I suspect that Best Buy doesn't know how to do it, but I can bet anybody here $100 that a competent installer can put one in that car. I bet that ScottP or StreetEffectz could do it easily.

3) The D1 does not include a feature to watch DVD's. You can buy a DVD player though and hook it up to the a/v input. This will allow u to watch DVD's.
It's NOT a DVD player. It's a DVD_ROM drive. It will NOT enable the A/V input on the main screen while the vehicle is moving. It WILL enable the rear-view camera video-only input - almost as kludgy a hack as cuttng the GPS antenna.

4) You cant watch DVD's while driving. A workaround for this is to hook up the a/v to the rear camera input. The only problem is that "Objects in mirror are larger then they appear" appears on the screen in very small transparent print.
Why would I want to pay over a thousand dollars to have a video screen with a text warning on it at all times? I don't know that this is "very small" and it can't be transparent - translucent maybe, or opaque. It it were transparent it would be like scotch tape.

5) The navigation system cannot be used (meaning entering addreses, finding a gas station, etc) while the car is moving.
This is incorrect. The system can be used. A new destination can't be selected.

6) The D1 knows the car is moving from 3 diffirent things 1) The parking brake is down, 2) The GPS sattelites senses a change in ur position 3) the gyro sensor inside the unit
I don't know that we know that or not. The one guy saying it doesn't seem to have verified it personally.

7) So far noone knows of a workaround this problem.
IT'S NOT A PROBLEM. IT'S INHERENT IN THE DESIGN. If you don't like it you don't like the units.

If I were Pioneer I would have made these exact same design decisions.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Racer

one correction with the last post....its not a matter of best buy it's a matter of going to crutchfield.com or any other audio site that lets you put in your make and model and it'll tell you if it'll work....I personally went to crutchfields store here in VA to talk to them about it, b/c i couldnt undersatnd why it wouldnt fit b/c i knew it was the right size, and thats when they showed me the diagram and how a custom hosing is in order.....and you in the next year every DVD and Navi will have the same motion locks, Pioneer was just the first to introduce theirs
Old 07-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Racer

another correction to #5) a new destination should be able to be selected by voice with the add on

and I don't doubt that a good installer could get this installed my only point was that it's not a standard fit....as we all know a good installer can do anything, they could put a computer screen in the dash, but that doesn't mean that the computer screen was made for a 2003 TL

Last edited by Tyzing; 07-08-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Racer

Crutchfield.com

If you have a double-sized 4" tall dash opening in your Japanese vehicle, think about filling it with Pioneer's AVIC-D1 CD receiver. It offers advanced, accurate GPS navigation, playback of your CDs, MP3s, and WMAs, touch-screen system control, and a big 6.5" screen — all in a package that fits perfectly in your dash.

To navigate, just slide the map DVD-ROM into its slot, then use the touch-screen controls to enter your destination. Enter a specific street address, an intersection, or choose from nearly 11 million points of interest, such as hotels, restaurants, and gas stations. Read more

Details:

» CD/navigation receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» fits double-sized dash openings
» motorized 6.5" touch-screen TFT active-matrix LCD monitor with adjustable display angle
» plays CDs, CD-R/RWs, and MP3/WMA discs
» GPS navigation (includes GPS antenna and two map DVDs)
» 11 million points of interest
» Roadside Assistance display
» one year of free Roadside Assistance Service
» separate CD and DVD-ROM slots
» displays vehicle performance specifications
» 64MB internal memory
» 3-band parametric EQ
» XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (subscription also required)
» XM's NavTraffic premium service available for an extra $3.99 per month (NavTraffic not available with a SIRIUS subscription)
» DVD/CD changer control
» compatible with Pioneer's iPod interface adapter
» audio/video input
» rear camera input
» front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» tri-zone capable
» Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner
» 18 FM/6 AM presets
» DVD signal-to-noise ratio: 97 dB
» CD signal-to-noise ratio: 96 dB
» FM sensitivity: 8 dBf
» warranty: 1 year

Installation Details for your 2003 3.2TL

» This item does not fit your vehicle.

It'll take a little custom work, but it can be done
Old 07-08-2005, 05:36 AM
Team Owner

You are basing your knowledge on how well this item fits because Crutchfield says so?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Advanced

I agree with him, though crutchfield might be expensive - it seems as though they know their shit. ANYTHING can be "fit" anywhere, im talking about me ordering it, and installing the thing myself.

About the motion locks, for the DVD movie lock i tottaly understand that, u dont need to watch movies while on the road. But for the navi:

I choose a destination, I am on the highway, I need gas, I have to pull over in the shoulder, Stop my car, Raise the parking brake, to select a "Find nearest gas station" on my navigation unit?

I think that's a little ridicolous. I've seen alot of stock navi's and some aftermarket ones such as magellan. And ive never seen that a driver, or better yet a passenger couldnt control it. Also, i understand that its not a problem, in a "bug" sort of way, but i do feel it's a problem that would stop ME and many others from buying the unit. And when you say u can use the system, just not input new destinations, what exaclty does that mean??

P.S. Heres the forum that was also discussing it - http://www.my.is/forums/showthread.p...76#post3551976
Old 07-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Racer

yeh, i am going to base it on if someone says it'll fit or not, you wouldnt buy 6 1/2's if your doors took 5 1/4's right? I mean with work you could make your 6 1/2's fit, it would just take a lot longer and why would you do that when you could just buy some that fit
Old 07-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Advanced

MODS - If you feel it would be better, please move this to a new thread.

Basically I want a doubledin, flush mount head unit which has good audio/Navigation capabilities.

The only ones i have found are the

1) Avic-D1
2) Kenwood Excelon DDX 7015
3) Eclipse AVN (something or other)

If there are any more, please add them to the list,

Which of these are better? and why? pros,cons,etc.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
VP Electricity

memzback, it seems that you also want it to play movies. If you do, I would add that to the list.

There are a few Kenwood owners on this forum, wish I remembered their handles.

When I get into the store later I might post some pics of the Pioneer back and sides...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Thanks alot for the future pics - i appreciate that.

I do want it to play movies, but thats nowhere on the top of my priorities. All i really want is a Navi/Audio unit.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Racer

well, as of right now the best reviews have been the AVIC