Noob Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob Needs Advice

Ok, I'm new to this whole forum thing and already clicked "submit new thread" once. So please bear with me....

I'm looking for all advice on subwoofers, I already have an aftermarket system consisting of:
Kenwood head unit, model# KDC-MP 4032
Polk Commponent Speakers, db 6500 (front and back)
A Profile HA1040 Amp
As well as non factory wiring and the Scosche wire that goes from the amp to the battery (the name is eluding me right now) that came with the kit from crutchfield.

Anyways, I would like opinoins on how to best pick out the right stuff for my car.
I know that I want 2 10 inch polk momo subs, and that I will need some kind of capacitor thing (that keeps my lights from dimming during big notes)

What I really would like to know is how hard could this really be to do?
I installed the current system with a wee little bit of help from my dad who has done speaker installations in most every car he ever owned. He has never installed subs before.... and he personally doesn't care to see them in his sons car....

I was also hoping to build my own box for the subs. But I've heard the words fiberglass used alot and don't complete understand how it's used. And is there a diffrence in sound quality? Also if I was to make a wood box, does it matter what kind of plywood and where do you find the trunk carpet to cover the box? Also what would be the coolest way create the box? I was thinking I might make it with 3 faces (the center and then 2 angled w/ the subs)and enclose the back of the trunk. instead of just sitting a box in it.

If you would be looking down on it it would look like this:

BACKSEATS

*******_X-overs__________Amp___
******|........................................... .....|
******|.......... _____________...........|
WHEEL |.SUB/***************\SUB.| WHEEL
******|...../*****************\......|
******|.../****TRUNK SPACE****\.....|

...........................TRUNK LID..................................

I don't have acsess to a scanner or digital camera to post pics.... SORRY!!!!

But if you can use your imagination, the amp is mounted vertically on the right side of 2.3's trunk. On a plywood board that is screwed into the frame of the backseat of my car. The Crossovers (all 4 of them) are mounted on the left in a simmilar fashion. ALL the wires go around ( either above or below the door thing into the backseat.

I REALLY HOPE I CAN GET SOME HELP WITH THIS ( as well as camera )

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this and I hope it's not too long or confusing!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dunno about actual construction.......... but ply wood works, but what youwant is some stuff called MDF........... it looks like wood, but isnt.......... its what all those pre-fab boxes at the stores are made of, and even the custom ones that arent Plexi or what not

and as for the MOMOs, good choice im running 1 right now (10") off an Alpine MRD-M605, and it delivers all that I need
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

So after reconsidering my funds, space, and whether two 10's too much. I've decided to go with one 10" sub and maybe a custom encloure from the Azine member uncald4 ?

Also does anyone know where I can mount the mono channel amp for the sub?

On a seperate note does anyone know of a decent capactor to use with my setup?

Come on people I could use some help! Please reply!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

OK, first off use MDF (medium density fiberboard). Its the best wood to construct and enclosure out or. Second, the Polk/MOMO subs are awesome subs! I have a pair of them running off of a Rockford P6002 amp in my Integra. They sound great! I would highly reccommend. They require a minimum of .66cu-ft per sub for a sealed enclosure. So, building a good enclosure that won't take up your entire trunk will sound good.

The RF Box Wizard will help you.

My setup in the Teg'.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Racer

dont buy a capacitor. Capacitor doesnt do as much as you think it does. you can upgrade your negative terminal wire on the battery to chassis with 0 gauge wires. also for the alternator and the engine to chassis it will help alot better.

cheap way to upgrade your electronics.

also buy a voltage stablizer works well.

Yellow top battery
upgraded alternator
extra battery in the trunk