Newest CL owner here-with a few audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newest CL owner here-with a few audio questions

Hey-I just bought a 2002 CL (not the S) and so far it is great! It has 76,000 miles and is in like new condition. It is the eternal blue color, just a great car! I've had Hondas and Acuras before and always had good luck with them, I'm sure this will be the same. The tranny was already replaced, so I don't have to worry about that, either. I do have a few audio system questions. The previous owner replaced the Bose system with a Pioneer headunit but kept the Bose speakers. I wasn't able to tell from past threads if the Bose system had an internal or external amp with it, I'm assuming internal. Anyway, I'm wondering how hard it is to replace the door speakers and what size they are? (6.5"?) Looks like the 6x9's in back shouldn't be too hard to replace, I'd like to upgrade all of them. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Advanced

the search function will be your best friend in this case. Here is a post of mine from last week. For the most part, gonna need to make, or buy spacers for both front and back.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/all-new-speakers-03-cls6-pix-712751/
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
It has an external amp. Its located near the emergency jack behind the trunk lining.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info, I did see the thread with the pics of the speaker install when I searched, unfortunately, you didn't cover the door speaker install much. The rears dont look too hard to do, providing that I get some that will fit into that space, but I'm wondering about the front, are they a pain to do or what???? I'll have to check and see how this is wired up, the former owner didn't know too much, he just went to Circuit City (R.I.P.!) and bought a mid level Pioneer HU and had them install it, he didn't know if they bypassed the bose amp or what. I'll look by the jack and see if it's still hooked up. Does anyone know the specs on the Bose amp? What I'd like to do for now is to upgrade the speakers to start, but I'm just not sure how involved I want to get with this whole thing, I'm working mega hours per week now and I don't have the time to fool around too much. (and I don't want to spend big$$$ on a big install job at a shop, either) I'll have to investigate the Bose amp and see if they just bypassed it and used the Pioneer HU amp or what. If anyone knows the specs on the Bose amp, that would be helpful! Also, how much work is involved in swapping out the door speakers? I suppose I'd want to replace the tweeters as well, which I suppose is another can of worms!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
your going to have to take off the door panel like every other car and go from there. as for the the specs on the amp, its in the FAQ i believe. but i think the output is like 1ohm and aftermarket speakers wont run that.
so my guess is to run an aftermarket multi-channel amp with your aftermarket speakers.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey what up man. Welcome to Acurazine

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

^ You might find more information in the Audio & Video Sub-Forum.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Front isn't terrible, just get MDF spacers from ebay, take out the old speaker, and spacer. Hope that the basket on the aftermarket speaker is small enough to fit through the diameter of the opening in the sheet metal for the speaker. In my case, I had to make that opening bigger, using a grinder, and drill new holes for mounting. nothing too difficult.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced

I have to say I just love the CL! Had it out on the highway for the first time today, it's so smooth. (which I expected, but it's still nice to feel!) I bought it from a guy who worked for the local Acura dealer here, so maintenance was done regularly, even more than regularly and he had all of the records. I think I'll have this car for a long time! As far as the stereo goes, I was fooling around with the Pioneer HU he had installed today and I turned on the high pass filter, which is adjustable to cut the bass out from the speakers and they really sounded good when you get rid of the muddy bass. I am sort of an audio nut, so I could easily justify replacing everything and putting a super system, but I have to balance out what time and $$$ will allow right now. I do have an old (but hardly used) sub box at home that has 2 nice 8" subs in it, I'm now thinking of just installing that with a new amp in the trunk. The HU has an adjustable sub output, I think that using subs would help the system a lot, at least it would get rid of the muddy bass problem, using the high pass filter for the other speakers. I'll look through the forums some more.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 AM
10th Gear

I have a 03 CL type S...My system includes 6.5 mids in the doors w/tweeters mounted in the stock location on the A Pillars, 6x9 coaxials in the back for rear fill and a 12 in sub in a sealed enclosure. The fronts will need a spacer and make sure the tweeters are mounted and directed correctly.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BT5150
...tranny was already replaced, so I don't have to worry about that...
that's a cute thought.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Sounds like the tranny could go again, huh? Hope not-didn't they redesign it after the recall? Anyway, as far as the audio goes, it looks like they did use the stock Bose amp with the new Pioneer HU. I have to say that when I use the high pass filter on the HU, it really sounds good. (cause that cuts out the muddy bass!) I think that adding an amp and subs (I just happen to have an old sub box laying around) will make it good enough for me, at least for now. Down the road when I get some more $$$, maybe I'll upgrade the speakers as well.