New kappas dont fit...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New kappas dont fit...HELP!

Well The back 6x9 just barley fit. I had to cut the grill with a dermal tool, all the plastic under the grill. And I can only get 2 screws in. As far as the front I don't think they will fit at all. The basket that's on them now is funny its real wide instead of deep so it will not go into the hole in the door at all, and when I use spacers the speaker hits the door panel. What should I do I might try again but should I try to find the old green kappas that I think do fit and keep the new 6x9's?? Or should I get a different brand and keep the kappa 6x9 or change them as well to keep them matched...or is there any tricks to help me with the ones I already have..........help please anyone!!!!
Thanks
Old 07-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you are going to use the kappas, you MUST cut the opening wider on the door itself (the metal) and still use a 3/4" spacer.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:23 PM
Drifting

How and what do you use for cutting the metal and will i be able to keep the screw holes for the stock speakers in case i put them back in one day? Thanks a bunch for the help!!
Old 07-02-2001, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had circuit city here in va instally my infinity components. according to them, all they had to do was remove the plastic basket and the 6.5s fit on the door hole. the real pain was i tried to install the 6x9s in the rears and they just wouldn't fit. i gave up on putting them on and will have to look for something smaller. i didn't want to cut anything because i'd like to be able to put everything back to stock if ever i do sell.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: icy CL ]
Old 07-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Drifting

I am trying to fit the new kappas which i dont think are the same as the ones that circut city has. The basaket for the speakers will not fit in the hole with the basket out. The 6x9 were not easy and the stuff i cut out you cant tell unless you take the grill off. It was the plastic rim that went around the stock speaker with the black fome crap on it.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NOLACLS:
<STRONG>I am trying to fit the new kappas which i dont think are the same as the ones that circut city has. The basaket for the speakers will not fit in the hole with the basket out. The 6x9 were not easy and the stuff i cut out you cant tell unless you take the grill off. It was the plastic rim that went around the stock speaker with the black fome crap on it.</STRONG>
yup..i know what you're refering to. i was thinking about it cuz i think driven did the same thing. but i decided against it. right now i have the stocks in the rears. they don't sound that bad....and they act as sound fillers only. but i still would like to change them if i can find a pair that dosn't need that high a spacer. and you are correct, the speakers i got from circuit city were the reference series. not as good as the kappas's, i think...but good enough for me for now.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Advanced

If I was smart enough to be able to post pics under my meesage I could show you guys a couple of tricks to get those speakes in.
I fitted MB Quart 6 1/2 in the front and 6X9s in the back. I had a problem with the 6X9 magnet hitting the trunk spring mechanism, so I had to raise the speakers by a half an inch.
The doors to a little cutting of the metal (Scary) with a dremel and a cut off wheel.
Put some spacers on them and no other problems.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:29 PM
DR
9th Gear

Hey ICY CL

I didn’t know that Circuit City sold the Infinity “Kappa” series speakers. Did you buy your speakers from another store and Circuit City installed them? If so which store was it.
I live in Washington DC / Virginia area.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I have an air compressor with a high speed rotary cutting tool. If you don't have one of these, you can do it *CAREFULLY* with sawsall, OR, and this will take a while, a hand held dremel.

If I remember correctly, you will have to cut far enough out that the stock screw holes will be removed so you WON'T be able to put the stock basket back.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Well, the 6x9s aren't a big deal since anything you cut won't really be noticed if you put the stock speakers back. I also raised (only the driver side)rear speaker by 1/2" with MDF that I cut using the supplied Infinity spacer as the template. As for the fronts...either get different speakers that will fit without too much cutting...or just do it...if you ever need to put the stock speakers back, you could always fabricate spacers that would cover up the bigger hole but hold the smaller stock speakers. From my own experience though, what may fit your current car may not be the best for your next one.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:38 AM
Drifting

Driven,
So for your 6.5 kappa comp you didn't have to cut the metal door frame you just had to use spacers? Would it be better to just get the old green 6.5 to put in the front? Do they sound much different than the new ones that you know of? Just dont know if i want to cut the door, and all i have is a dremal tool. Would that take FOREVER??
Thanks
Old 07-03-2001, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

I don't know how the new ones look, but the green Kappas will definitely fit. All you need is a half-inch spacer and longer screws. They sound great. I was absolutely opposed to cutting any sheet metal.

For the 6x9's, I bought some Alpine 3-ways which fit just fine. The 6x9 speakers sounded good in the store, and since the rear speakers are more for fill, I didn't see the need to go to a more expensive set. The Alpine speakers have a magnet that's just slightly bigger than stock, but they handle power and mid-bass well. Again, there was no cutting of stock equipment. That was one of my goals.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:04 PM
Drifting

The new ones are silver with a blk dust cap. I dont really want to cut the door but i really just want to keep the front and back the same. If i have to cut too much of the sheet metal i will probably just return the new ones and get the green ones.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:32 PM
Instructor

The old green Kappas will be a better fit then. They will fit into the factory speaker bracket with a spacer or cutting the backing off of the bracket. And they do sound very nice. I haven't heard or even seen the new Kappas...It's not even on their website. But you can get the green kappas at bargain prices on the internet.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DR:
<STRONG>Hey ICY CL

I didn’t know that Circuit City sold the Infinity “Kappa” series speakers. Did you buy your speakers from another store and Circuit City installed them? If so which store was it.
I live in Washington DC / Virginia area.</STRONG>
circuit city sells the infinity reference series. i don't think they're as good as the kappas but good enough for me for now. and they fit perfectly....you just need to remove the basket of the stock speaker. i had them installed at the tyson's corner store. i need to either bring it back or pop out the door panel because i think the crossover is hitting the panel and it's creating some ugly sound. also, i returned the infinity 6x9s and got the alpines instead. the alpines are a perfect fit for the rears....and no hassle at all screwing them in. they sound good....specially just for fill in. good fill for mid and highs.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:56 AM
Drifting

I have the 6X9 in and hooked up to a JL 300/4 amp and they sound real good. I have not messed with the 6.5 yet. I might look into cutting the door to make them fit, but im not sure yet. I have not seen anyone who has the old green ones still. Most of the people are sold out of them thats why i got the new ones. We will see if i can get the new ones to fit.
Old 07-04-2001, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

I ordered my Kappa's online from Crutchfield. They're still in the latest catalog, and the website says they're in stock. I got mine for $200. Check here

Crutchfield- Infity Kappa 60.2cs
Old 07-05-2001, 02:37 AM
Drifting

I am still goint to look one more time to see if i can fit the ones i have. I got the 6.5 for 185.00 and the 2 way 6X9 for 125.00 thezeb.com. They had the green 6.5 for like 150 shiped but they are out now.