Need help re-wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help re-wiring!

All right guys, here is the story:

After getting the car, i decided i needed more bass. I got a mtx amp and 2 JL-10W3. The problem is, the place did a serious "ghetto-rig" for EVERYTHING.
Now, I kept the subs and upgraded to a JL 500/1 amp. The guys that did the original install used very thin wires, i think 12guage. Now i am hooking everything up with 4gauge Monster wire (the right way). I have pulled the power wire through (very difficult) and now need to find a ground. The clamp is huge and I need to find where to ground it.

WHERE CAN I GROUND IT IN THE TRUNK WITHOUT DRILLING ANY NEW HOLES?? Also, what and where do I hook the remote wire to??
Old 12-13-2001, 10:20 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need help re-wiring!

Originally posted by Quick Silver
All right guys, here is the story:

After getting the car, i decided i needed more bass. I got a mtx amp and 2 JL-10W3. The problem is, the place did a serious "ghetto-rig" for EVERYTHING.
Now, I kept the subs and upgraded to a JL 500/1 amp. The guys that did the original install used very thin wires, i think 12guage. Now i am hooking everything up with 4gauge Monster wire (the right way). I have pulled the power wire through (very difficult) and now need to find a ground. The clamp is huge and I need to find where to ground it.

WHERE CAN I GROUND IT IN THE TRUNK WITHOUT DRILLING ANY NEW HOLES?? Also, what and where do I hook the remote wire to??
take a look at the sound template in my sig.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:23 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Need help re-wiring!

Originally posted by SilverKnight

take a look at the sound template in my sig.
Alright, you say you screwed it down at the trunk access. following your pics, i went to the trunk to check it out. All i found there was a circular plat with three screws. Is that what you used? Did you just un-screw the plate and ground it between the trunk floor and the plate? I ask because my wire comes with a clamp for the ground, and it won't fit there. Can I use the ground wire w/o the clamp?
Old 12-14-2001, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Need help re-wiring!

Alright, you say you screwed it down at the trunk access. following your pics, i went to the trunk to check it out. All i found there was a circular plat with three screws. Is that what you used? Did you just un-screw the plate and ground it between the trunk floor and the plate? I ask because my wire comes with a clamp for the ground, and it won't fit there. Can I use the ground wire w/o the clamp?
the clamps or wire post connectors are used to get a good, tight, secure install when screwing it in. you don't need to use these clamps but if you are going to bolt it down, better to use it. if you are jsut gonna put the wire btwn the plate and chassis, you can remove the clamp.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help re-wiring!

Originally posted by icy CL

the clamps or wire post connectors are used to get a good, tight, secure install when screwing it in. you don't need to use these clamps but if you are going to bolt it down, better to use it. if you are jsut gonna put the wire btwn the plate and chassis, you can remove the clamp.
I think I am gonna use the clamps for a more professional install. So, using the clamps, what can I bolt it down to in the trunk w/o drilling any new holes??
Old 12-14-2001, 11:40 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help re-wiring!

I think I am gonna use the clamps for a more professional install. So, using the clamps, what can I bolt it down to in the trunk w/o drilling any new holes??
There is a bolt. You will have to lift up the carpet to see. Dont use any of the screws.
Old 12-14-2001, 06:12 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
dood i'm going to help you with all your wiring!