Need help hooking up DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help hooking up DVD player

I have an Audiobahn AVDVD10P DVD player. I used to have the old version (AVDVD1P) where there were just two wires to hook up to power the unit. I just hooked up one end to the cigarette lighter adapter positive end and the other end to the negative end of the cigarette lighter adapter. Now, with this new version, there are three wires:

The RED cable should connect to VBAT'S +.

The BLACK Cable should connect to VBAT'S - .

The YELLOW cable should connect to ACC'S + .

How do I hook up each of these cables? What does "VBAT'S" stand for?

If someone can give me some detailed directions how and where to hook these up, that would be great.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I would assume that it wants you to hook up the Red wire to the battery positive terminal, the Black to the battery negative terminal and the yellow to a switched source. IE, something that is on only when the key is in the ACC or ON position.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The extra wire (yellow) is added now so the DVD player has memory.

Anyway, hooking this up is simple. You can do everything right at the steering column. Hook the red wire from the DVD player to the white wire at the column (this is constant 12 volts). The yellow wire from the DVD player will go to the yellow or even the white wire w/black stripe at the column (these are the accessory wires), and the black wire to the chassis.

That's pretty much it! Hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
The extra wire (yellow) is added now so the DVD player has memory.

Anyway, hooking this up is simple. You can do everything right at the steering column. Hook the red wire from the DVD player to the white wire at the column (this is constant 12 volts). The yellow wire from the DVD player will go to the yellow or even the white wire w/black stripe at the column (these are the accessory wires), and the black wire to the chassis.

That's pretty much it! Hope that helps.
How do I access the wires from the steering column? How do I take apart any plastic pieces that need to be removed so that I can access those wires?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

If you have an TL/CL, there is a panel to the driver side to access the fuse block. Remove that panel, and you'll see ONE screw holding the cover on. Take that screw out, and the panel pops out TOWARD you.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
If you have an TL/CL, there is a panel to the driver side to access the fuse block. Remove that panel, and you'll see ONE screw holding the cover on. Take that screw out, and the panel pops out TOWARD you.
I have a 2004 Honda Accord. I know where the fuse block is (I've blown a couple of fuses before). Is that where you're talking about?

If so, after I take the cover off the fuse block (torwards the floor, near the door, and to the left of my feet right?), what do I do then? All that I see are a bunch of fuses...
Old 02-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Also, I still have my old DVD player, but I think I may have fried the unit trying to hook it up because whenever I try to hook up the old wires to it (that I had installed), it won't power on when I press the "ON" button. Streeteffectz, do you think you can fix it?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Nope, not the kick panel.....in the 04' Accord I believe there are two screws in the LOWER dash, like where your knees would be.....you access the wires there.

As for the old DVD player, I'd have to see it to know if I can fix it
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by humperdood
The RED cable should connect to VBAT'S +.

The BLACK Cable should connect to VBAT'S - .

The YELLOW cable should connect to ACC'S + .

How do I hook up each of these cables? What does "VBAT'S" stand for?

If someone can give me some detailed directions how and where to hook these up, that would be great.
VBAT's = vehicle battery.

Did you mean to say that red goes to the ACC/ignition and yellow goes to +12v of battery?

Going by standard car stereo wiring, red usually means a switched source or ignition, while yellow ususally means constant or straight to the battery. I'm not sure if Audiobahn follows the same standards though

Also, do you have an aftermarket amp right now?
If you happen to have amp wiring done already, then I would just put a relay in the back so you don't have to touch your steering column. You could just tap into the power and ground that's already ran and just use the remote turn on wire going to the amp as the on/off switch for the relay.

The way StreetEffectz told you is a very good way too. Just thought I would throw another option out there.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, the standard DEI/Audiovox wire colors help screw up the EIA standard Red/Yellow deal for a lot of people. I;'ve seen Taiwanese and Korean stuff come both ways since, so whatever the OEM labels say...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsx536
VBAT's = vehicle battery.

Did you mean to say that red goes to the ACC/ignition and yellow goes to +12v of battery?

Going by standard car stereo wiring, red usually means a switched source or ignition, while yellow ususally means constant or straight to the battery. I'm not sure if Audiobahn follows the same standards though

Also, do you have an aftermarket amp right now?
If you happen to have amp wiring done already, then I would just put a relay in the back so you don't have to touch your steering column. You could just tap into the power and ground that's already ran and just use the remote turn on wire going to the amp as the on/off switch for the relay.

The way StreetEffectz told you is a very good way too. Just thought I would throw another option out there.
Yes, I do have an aftermarket amplifier. It's currently under my seat now. By a relay, do you mean that I would need an actual relay, or do you mean I should just hook it up to the amp? Also, yes the color-coded wires are messed up with Audiobahn. The red is the power wire and the yellow is the accessory wire. The black is the ground.

Would I just hook up the red wire to the power cable on the amp? Where would I hook up the yellow wire?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:00 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The yellow wire needs some source of switched ACC - the head unit, the OEM amp if it's there (don't remember), the steering column...

What he means is to control the relay with the stereo RTO output - it would turn on when the RTO was on and switch the ACC over and connect it to the BAT constant power.

85 GND
86 RTO
87 Constant BAT 12V
30 DVD ACC
Old 02-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by humperdood
Yes, I do have an aftermarket amplifier. It's currently under my seat now. By a relay, do you mean that I would need an actual relay, or do you mean I should just hook it up to the amp? Also, yes the color-coded wires are messed up with Audiobahn. The red is the power wire and the yellow is the accessory wire. The black is the ground.

Would I just hook up the red wire to the power cable on the amp? Where would I hook up the yellow wire?
I met an actual relay. You need to hook it up just like Eld said.

The reason you need a relay is so that the yellow power cable only receives power going to it when the dvd player is on.

The RED cable should connect directly to the vehicles battery, so that it can receive a small constant current to allow the dvd player to remember certain settings, placement in the current movie, etc. This cable will still receive power going to it regardless of whether the car or dvd player is on. It is always hot and will always have current going to it at all times even when your car is parked and your stereo is off.

The YELLOW cable however, only needs to receive power going to it when you use the unit. You do not want power going to it at all times because it could drain your battery. So in order to prevent it from receiving power when the car is not on, you need a relay. The relay will only allow power to go to the DVD player when you turn it on. So you could use the same remote turn on wire that tells your amp when to turn on/off and hook it up to the relay so that the DVD player also turns off and on at the same time as the amp.

I hope this helps and does not end up to actually be more confusing.