Need help on auto starter in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004 | 07:53 PM
Advanced

Need help on auto starter in Toronto

1. can anyone recommend me any place to install auto starter professionally with reasonalbe price?
2. is auto starter good for the car, what are the pros and cons?
3. how does auto starter work with our acura key unit and if comes with the alarm, does that mean the fatory key lock will not work any more?
4. i heard it's bad if we leave the air condition/heater on or stereo before we turn off the car. is it true?
Old 12-06-2004 | 07:57 PM
I feel the need...

And I thought only Americans were fat and lazy.

Autostart = sign of the apocalypse.......

......I think I'm gonna get one too, but for the '05 CRV I just bought for my wife - same engine, same transmission. Try a search - this subject has been brought up before. Be very carefull on install, a friend of mine had nothing but problems after he had a system (dunno what brand) installed at Best Buy.
Old 12-06-2004 | 09:39 PM
Racer

iceboy1,

Do you have the AT?

You post a good question. Be very careful with such add-ons because they can be very risky. I plan to attend a meeting, and catered dinner, sponsored by my dealer this Thursday. I made a note to ask the maintenance manager about remote start; do they recommend any, do they install any?

I would not trust a store like Best Buy to install anything on my car. I would like for higher end shops and perhaps a custom shop where the owner is also one of the installers.

It is my practice to turn off the AC, and the stereo, before I turn off the car; so that would not be an issue with me. I don't know about the stereo, it I recommend that the A/C be off when you start a car to reduce the load on the starter motor as well as the engine when it first fires.
Old 12-06-2004 | 09:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
iceboy1,

Do you have the AT?

You post a good question. Be very careful with such add-ons because they can be very risky. I plan to attend a meeting, and catered dinner, sponsored by my dealer this Thursday. I made a note to ask the maintenance manager about remote start; do they recommend any, do they install any?

I would not trust a store like Best Buy to install anything on my car. I would like for higher end shops and perhaps a custom shop where the owner is also one of the installers.

It is my practice to turn off the AC, and the stereo, before I turn off the car; so that would not be an issue with me. I don't know about the stereo, it I recommend that the A/C be off when you start a car to reduce the load on the starter motor as well as the engine when it first fires.
Yes Jim, I have the AT. I know one of my friend that has MT and installed the auto starter. but the set up was somehow akward. when he turn of the car, the engine will continue to run until you go out and shut the door. and if the door has been open again and close. then he can not auto start his car.. very weird. but anyways, i am sure that's the exception. the AT should work just fine i guess.. he got his starter installed in tint king. the service was really bad, and very unprofessional. that's why, i want to find a professional installer to do it for me. so you mention that it's better to turn off the AC/heater when you turn off the car. but one of the reason for me to get the auto starter is for freezing cold winter, that when i run the auto starter, the heater will warm my interior, and during the summer it will cool down with AC.
Old 12-07-2004 | 06:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Moved to Audio and Video. The e-nuts will help you here.
Old 12-07-2004 | 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

first, you will need a key transponder bypass module to defeat the transponder in the key.
second it is usually reccommended you install it on an Auto transmission car. though i have done several manuels with a neutral safety switch.
third. if your turning off the HVAC system every time you get out your a nut case! the AC compressor of any modern car is controlled by the ECU of the HVAC system it is also tied into the engine ECU. the compressor does not come on until the engione has already started for 2 reasons.
1 the ECU wont allow that to happen untill a few seconds after the car starts.
2. the ignition is wired so that the HVAC as well as radio and other accessories are turned off when you turn the key to the start position. there is only 1 and on some cars 2 wires that get 12volts while cranking and they are 1. ignition and fuel pump 2. the ECU some cars only use 1 wire for both like subarus do.
all other accessories of the car are turned off because the ACC wire of the ignition switch is DEAD the second you turn the key past the run position.
next time try starting the car without pushing in the clutch all the way or for a auto trans put the shifter in gear (both will prevent the car from starting because of the neutral safety switch) you will notice wthat even with the HVAC and radio on these items will go dead while you hold the key in the start position. but the starter will not turn because of the neutral safety switch)
there is no need to turn anything off after you turn your car off. doing that will eventually wear the off button out or rub the lettering off the button if you press it every time you get out.
Old 12-07-2004 | 01:40 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by iceboy1
1. can anyone recommend me any place to install auto starter professionally with reasonalbe price?
2. is auto starter good for the car, what are the pros and cons?
3. how does auto starter work with our acura key unit and if comes with the alarm, does that mean the fatory key lock will not work any more?
4. i heard it's bad if we leave the air condition/heater on or stereo before we turn off the car. is it true?
1) Toronto posters? (Please remember - good - fast - cheap - pick any two...)
2) Starters are good for the car IF INSTALLED PROPERLY. Skimping on price often results in hack installs and those are NOT good for the car.
3) The bypass module is needed, your good install shop has them in stock, no problem, don't worry about it, slight additional cost.
4) Not true. If it were true car starters would have died off.
Old 12-07-2004 | 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Try Art of Noise in Brampton. I've had some work done there in the past on my Civic and Integra (Alarms) Good prices and good service, though I havn't been there in about 4 years.
Old 12-08-2004 | 12:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
first, you will need a key transponder bypass module to defeat the transponder in the key.
second it is usually reccommended you install it on an Auto transmission car. though i have done several manuels with a neutral safety switch.
third. if your turning off the HVAC system every time you get out your a nut case! the AC compressor of any modern car is controlled by the ECU of the HVAC system it is also tied into the engine ECU. the compressor does not come on until the engione has already started for 2 reasons.
1 the ECU wont allow that to happen untill a few seconds after the car starts.
2. the ignition is wired so that the HVAC as well as radio and other accessories are turned off when you turn the key to the start position. there is only 1 and on some cars 2 wires that get 12volts while cranking and they are 1. ignition and fuel pump 2. the ECU some cars only use 1 wire for both like subarus do.
all other accessories of the car are turned off because the ACC wire of the ignition switch is DEAD the second you turn the key past the run position.
next time try starting the car without pushing in the clutch all the way or for a auto trans put the shifter in gear (both will prevent the car from starting because of the neutral safety switch) you will notice wthat even with the HVAC and radio on these items will go dead while you hold the key in the start position. but the starter will not turn because of the neutral safety switch)
there is no need to turn anything off after you turn your car off. doing that will eventually wear the off button out or rub the lettering off the button if you press it every time you get out.
thanks!Bass Mechanic, that means i don't have to turn off the AC/heater off and stereo off every time before i turn off the car. since i don't have the habit of doing so anyways, it's a good thing to know.
Old 12-08-2004 | 12:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by domn
Try Art of Noise in Brampton. I've had some work done there in the past on my Civic and Integra (Alarms) Good prices and good service, though I havn't been there in about 4 years.
i have been to art of nosie in mississagua before. that was many years ago. that's right, they provide pretty good services. and can anyone suggest me which remote starter is the best in the market at this time?
Old 12-15-2004 | 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino
1) Toronto posters? (Please remember - good - fast - cheap - pick any two...)
2) Starters are good for the car IF INSTALLED PROPERLY. Skimping on price often results in hack installs and those are NOT good for the car.
3) The bypass module is needed, your good install shop has them in stock, no problem, don't worry about it, slight additional cost.
4) Not true. If it were true car starters would have died off.
Hey whats a bypass module?
Old 12-15-2004 | 01:29 PM
VP Electricity

Most every newer car has some kind of low-power transmitter chip in the head of the key. The transmitter is powered by an electrical field generated by a loop of wire, and the signal is also picked up by an antenna in the steering column. You won't pick it up outside the car - range is a few inches. There are supposedly millions of codes available.

If the code is not received the car won't start, even if a physical key replica is inserted.

Bypass modules enable starting, either with a valet key concealed or by replicating the OE signal in a learning-remote sort of manner.
Old 12-15-2004 | 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hamidreza78
Hey whats a bypass module?
its actually called a transponder bypass module and they are available from DEI or most manufacturers that sell remote start alarms. most honda's use 1 of 2 types.
1 requires a blank and programmed key be installed into a small box under the dash.
the other learns the code of your keys and replicates it.