Need advice on double din touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on double din touchscreen

I'm not an audio/multimedia pro so I'm in need of a little advice. I'm looking into installing a touchscreen inplace of my headunit in my 1997 3.2 TL to control other components. I think this would be a real clean look with just a screen. I wanted to know if you guys think it is possible. I want to ba able to okay cd/dvd, tv, navigation. What do you think I need to make this possible? Any suggestions? Thanks for your input!!

AD
Old 02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
off hand i do not know a touch screen unit that would do all of the things that you want without some modifications... but if you can give up the touch sreen and be ok with just remote control then you could go with (as much as it kills me to say this because i hate this company) pioneer... you could get the avd-w6000d w/ the 9000 audio/video master unit.. then put a pioneer dvd changer in the truck with the pioneer dvd based navi in the trunk...this set up would give you the ability to view dvd's, navi, cd, am/fm tuner and if you really want to get crazy you could add a pioneer tv tuner... but i hope you have a couple grand to spend... and yeah i agree with you on this would look real clean but i just couldnt talk myself into using pioneer products again due to the problems i had with my last pioneer screen...
Old 02-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by shawhite
but i just couldnt talk myself into using pioneer products again due to the problems i had with my last pioneer screen...
what kind of problems?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I have actually been looking into this a bit myself but, I have not seen any just screens that are touch screen. You would need a touchscreen that feed into a central brain. The brain would need to control all the other options you need. I know that Kenwood and Clarion make indash motorized screens that house a DVD/CD player and tuner. They have A/V inputs that would allow you to add a navi unit and tuner. I just have not yet found just a screen that will allow you to do the same.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

man you name it and that is what happened to that pos pioneer avx-p7300dvd... the first time i sent it in the screen was flipping (kind of like your tv @ home when the reception is bad) and this was happening even when the graphical interface was displayed... then i get it back and the dang thing doesnt play certain dvd anylonger... i didnt send it back in for that because it took me 3 months to get it back and i was just so happy to have my unit that i paid nearly 2g's for back... then a couple of weeks later a dvd got stuck in the indash dvd player... i tried everything but this disk would not eject... i even disconnected the power and reconnected to see if that would work.. but nope nothing... i called pioneer for assistance and yep you guess it they said "well just send it in here and we will have it back to you in 10-14 days..." well 2 months later i get the unit back and much to my suprise what happens when i put the first dvd in it... yep you got it it gets stuck again... so i call pioneer again and they give me the same spill i ask to speak to a manager and he gives me the same bs story stating that if they are unable to repair it then they will send me a new one... so i laughed and said that obviously you were unable to repair it so far what makes you think that the 3rd time is going to be a charm.... but i reluctantly sent it back in for the 3rd time and when i got it back i decided to just get rid of it so i gave it to one of my friends and yep you guessed it now he is having trouble with it and pioneer is trying to tell him the the warranty is past and he will have to pay to have the unit repaired... humm this is funny 7 months out of the 12months that i owned this product it was in pioneers repair shop now how can they tell me my warranty is out when they had the unit more than i did... and pioneers customer service was the worst... you have to hold forever and then when you do finally talk to someone they just give you the run around and basically tell you that they are unable to help you... needless to say after that experience i will never buy another pioneer product in my life...

oh if you want a specific definition on what parts went bad here ya go...

1. motor (for motorized screen)
2. sensor (for motorized screen)
3. switch (for motorized screen)
4. dvd drive
5. dvd drive
6. friend is still waiting to get it back to find out what they replaced this time...

oh not to mention everytime i sent it in they tell me the parts are on back order and i will take a month to get them in then we will put a rush on the repair to have it back to you asap...
Old 02-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

here is a picture of the pioneer set up i was talking about earlier... but this is the 8 in version... http://www.streeteffectz.com/forum/s...p?threadid=242
Old 02-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Intermediate

wow this is great info! and that system looks like a winner, but judging from your past experiences I'm more than a little worried about purchasing pioneer gear
Old 02-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hmm....that's help with my buying decision when I can afford a full system

I would prefer the Pioneer AVIC-90DVD nav unit over an Alpine because the Pioneer site says its nav DVD has the US and Canada, whereas Alpine only has the US and two Canadian cities (Toronto and Vancouver)

Would the Pioneer nav unit work with an Alpine screen? (I know this sounds stupid but you never know these days :o )