Navi - GPS and "Dead Reckoning"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003 | 07:55 PM
Can't wait to drive

Navi - GPS and "Dead Reckoning"

I have a Navi TSX and recently there have been a lot of "Dead Reckoning" by the GPS as stated by the manual. GPS signal has been really weak lately (GPS text has been white a lot more). What sucks is that while "Dead Reckoning" (gps trying to estimate your location without the satellite signal) is fairly accurate when I'm traveling slowly, when I'm traveling on freeways it is way off! Today, I was 5 miles off my mark, and obviously it screws up my directions. Has anyone notice the same thing with their NAVI system lately? btw, I drove near downtown LA today, and it happened there. The tall building there could be an issue.
Old 12-06-2003 | 01:57 AM
Race Director

All GPS reliant NAV systems have to have a sight line to at least 3 satellites for a location fix. Any obstruction will block the signal and you end up in dead reckoning mode. Driving in downtown areas, under dense foliage or even snow will cause problems.

The position reported during dead reckoning depends a lot on software and some hardware. On the best systems there's a speed and direction (forward or reverse) input so that once the system loses the signal it can compute from speed and direction where you should be. The longer you go without a good GPS signal the futher the error of location. Also the futher away from the last good GPS fix the longer it takes for the system to find it's way once it finds a GPS signal. The GPS receiver can fix its location faster if it's at a standstill as opposed to moving.
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:10 AM
Can't wait to drive

I understood the basic concept of GPS..reason for my post is that I work in downtown LA, and I have no troubles with dead reckoning before until recently (this week), and I was wondering whether anyone has a similar problem

THen again, there are so many variables..like making a different turn, or driving in a different lane, or going at a different speed. I thought maybe recently it has been smoggy and that could've hurt the GPS signals

As for stopping...I don't think I can do that if i'm on the freeway going 80mph just to resync witht he satellites If I'm lost and needed exact directions, I might reconsider and pull off the freeway to resync..
Old 12-11-2003 | 05:31 PM
4th Gear

Arcticcl9
Hey I WANT A ACURA JUST LIKE YOUUUUUU. YOUR ACURA IS BADD ASSSS DUDE. FREAKING TIGHT. I WANT IT SO FREAKIN BAD. IM 15 STILL BUT MY PARENTS ARE GONNA GET IT FOR ME WITH ME WORKING.
Old 12-11-2003 | 06:50 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally posted by AcuraTSX06
Arcticcl9
Hey I WANT A ACURA JUST LIKE YOUUUUUU. YOUR ACURA IS BADD ASSSS DUDE. FREAKING TIGHT. I WANT IT SO FREAKIN BAD. IM 15 STILL BUT MY PARENTS ARE GONNA GET IT FOR ME WITH ME WORKING.
Old 12-11-2003 | 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem tonight. First time though.
Old 12-12-2003 | 11:35 AM
Can't wait to drive

Originally posted by AcuraTSX06
Arcticcl9

Yes..or you can be like me, get a job, save up for over a year for down payment and start making payments on my own. Of course, you're too young to even work, so you gotta beg your parents a little harder to help you out a bit

My TSX is worth every penny
Old 12-12-2003 | 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the same damn problem this morning. I went into the diag mode and saw that all 8 satellites were in use. Normally there are only like 5 and I thing there needs to be at least 3 for it to work but there where 8 in use and it was a mile off.

I was on the way to the dealer when it wasn't working right. AND I FORGOT TO MENTION IT WHEN I GOT THERE. I AM A DUMB ASS!!!