My Tweeter Is dimpled .......WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Question My Tweeter Is dimpled .......WTF?

I just noticed the other day that one of my tweets had multiple dents on the dome(three to be exact). These are supposed to be pretty good speakers:

JL XR650-CS, 1" aluminum dome able to handle 175W peak and 70W continuous. My amp only puts out 65W RMS/CH. Is it possible I got a little carried away with the volume and caused these deformations somehow? I put my ear to the speaker in question, and there is no abnormal sound at loud volume, but the little dents leave me curious! Any thoughts?

Iggy
Old 01-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimples mean one thing, they were hit by something, or worse yet, are being pressed by something in front of them. where are they located? got pix? this would greatly help. btw, my aluminum tweets are dimpleless...and i have given them 200wrms for over 2 yrs now, and am currently running 300wrms to them...(as in each, not combined)
Old 01-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's wierd. There is a protective grill in front of them so I don't think anything pushed them in. Like I said, it still seems to work fine but it looks bad.

Iggy
Old 01-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Racer

Yep, I'm with Systek. That didn't come from your amp. That is physical "damage". As long as they still sound good, that is the important thing.

Are you POSITIVE they didn't get dimpled during the install? I know your install was pretty labor intensive. It's very easy to do something like this and not notice it until later. It takes VERY little pressure to dimple those tweets.

At least the "damage" is only aesthetic. If the tweet is still kickin' just try not to focus on it. I know from your posts that you are a perfectionist, so I hope it all works out for you!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Bozz,

I'm positive it didn't happen during the install(I went back and looked at the pics). Plus the protective grill is not removeable. Very strange indeed

Oh well, Guess there's nothing to do except go for a drive and crank some Foo Fighters.

Cheers,
Iggy
Old 01-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Racer

I have to say that this is somewhat baffling.

Your install pics were nothing short of inspirational for the rest of us TL owners. Kudos.

Well, you can either drive yourself crazy wondering how it happened, OR do as you said and go crank up some tunes

I'm glad to see you picked the latter of the two.

In our eyes, it's stll a killer install job!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

in the spirit of cameraderie and goodwill, i posted this thread and question in my fave car audio forum and this is the response i got.

Originally posted by Justin W at CAF
I didn't read the thread either... but I'm pretty sure I know what happened.

It's a JL XR tweeter... and apparently some of the early ones used an incorrect component or bonding agent or something... can't remember the details... but the design or combination of parts and adhesive didn't allow for thermal expansion and contraction enough...

The aluminum domes would crease as they heated and cooled.

Anyway... it's actually a warranty item... the person should return it to an authorized JL dealer and they'll replace it.

so if the comps are still under warranty, go for it and get that tweet replaced. you may be able to simply get the tweet replaced instead of having to pull out the whole set from the doors/sails...! let me know if this helped ya out.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Systek,

Thanks for doing that! That would explain why it did'nt happen until recently with the outside temps being as cold as they have been. I can see how going from 20F to 72F and back at least once a day could do this. I ordered these online through Austin 519, so I guess I'll have to try to bring them back to a local dealer.

Which forum did you post this on?

BTW, check your pm.

Thanks again,
Iggy
Old 01-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Burning Brakes

www.caraudioforum.com

also, im, email or call austin to ck on warranty replacement, but i believe the stuff he gets his hands on is covered under mfg warranty. (he tried getting me to go w/jl as well, but i got a much better contact at kicker )
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 AM
Burning Brakes

someone else posted as well:

Originally posted by TBirdboomer
it's a problem known in jl xr's.. the way they're made..there needs to be a pinhole placed in the "surround" around the metal dome at the factory to allow the area behind it to vent when they begin to heat up.. some of them didn't quite get that hole, and domes collapsed, warped etc.
it was brought up here and explained some months ago..
here's the link to that thread in case u want to monitor it:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=123422
Old 01-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

BTW Iggy....Did you have to cut any metal in your door to mount the mids? They are a 6 1/2? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Racer

Nice work Systek. That is a very odd circumstance. I didn't think Iggy had done the damage himself. He seems very meticulous when it comes to this.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bozzchem
Nice work Systek.
all in a da...errr nites work...
Old 01-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro

Hey Iggy,
Sorry to hear/see your damage. I just read the thread and was at a loss as to the cause... other than mechanical damage. Severe temp changes could cause that as Systek has pointed out. I wonder if extreme summer heat in Vegas or Phoenix, etc. could cause the same thing???

Anyway, my hat's off to systek for his work in solving the mystery. This board continues to be a great place for answers...

One would think that there is some sort of distortion being caused by the distorted shape... But it sounds like it is minimal to you. Hopefully you can get them exchanged through some sort of warranty. If not, do as others have suggested and TRY not to look at them... I know that's easier said than done. You and your job demands attention to detail, so I know it must suck. At least it's not dimples on your leading edge!

Good luck!
Southy
Old 01-18-2003, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Southbound
...my hat's off to systek for his work...Southy
all i get is a hat's off hell, bow down and recognize....jajajaja

j/k
Old 01-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Southbound
Hey Iggy,
I wonder if extreme summer heat in Vegas or Phoenix, etc. could cause the same thing???
I doubt if desert heat would do the same thing. The drivers are designed and manufactured for "normal" summer temps. I doubt if the temp differential between 120 deg outside and the air going full tilt would be enough to shrink the aluminum enough to deform.

On the other hand, sitting overnight at -30C then having the side window vent blasting +30C air directly onto the driver definitely does the trick. It's the quick change from well below freezing to well above freezing that gives the death blow to a lot of aliminum drivers.

New Hampshire is far enough north for this to happen to you.

I had a set of aluminum tweeters installed in my 90 Integra for a short while. After replacing both of them once I had to install an interior car warmer to keep the interior just above freezing. The problem went away, but my power bill suffered....