My car uses a lot of gas when I use my subs..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone considered the fact that you put at least 75 lbs of audio hardware in your trunk, effectively making the car heavier?????

I guarantee that is why you have poor fuel mileage, that and the fact that you probably sit and listen to your new stereo with the engine running more.

-Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 PM
My baby's daddy

...as well as the likelihood that he's screaming down the road at 55mph in first gear, unable to hear the engine begging for mercy, wondering where all that static is coming from.

he stated he used a toggle switch so we can rule out weight.

You should lean as far forward in your seat as possible. It helps to shift the weight forward in and takes some load off the engine. I do this in my VW bus and it helps alot!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sic TL-S
I have 2 12" Kicker Comp VR's installed in my 2003 TLS, along with a 600 watt Kenwood amp. I had the system hooked up to a toggle switch, for when other people drive my car. Anyways, when i run the subs, my car eats a lot of gas. I only get around 280 miles per tank, maybe less, when i run my subs. When I don't run my subs, i get over 300 miles per tank. Is this normal or what? Also if i buy a cap, would this solve my problem? Ive asked several audio shops about my problem, and they all told me that this shouldn't happen. They state that the subs and the fule system have nothing to do with each other. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think maybe the Bass is causing your brain to vibrate and your eyes are not focusing on the right numbers!!!!!!! LOL. J/K
Old 10-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Hahaha...this is too funny....
but seriously...I think I know whats causing the problem.
It must be the big magnets from your speakers causing the rotation of your rear tires to slow down.
try putting a pice thick wood in between speakers.....or just let your speakers stick to the underside of your trunk lid...that way the magnetic pull does not affect the tires free rotation...
try it and let us know how it went.!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
This thread is amazing. One person asks something somewhat dumb but ok.. I can live with that. We get a few smartass answers to his question which people take completely seriously...

wow..

Any by the way, the transwarp inducers in your amp may be inhibiting the spark timing.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:14 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sic TL-S
Hey guys, I'd like to thank the people that took this thread seriously. I still haven't found a solution to my problem, so for the time being, I'm not going to use my subs. If I can't find a solution at all, I may just sell the system, and get something different down the line. Anyways, thanks for your guys help.
how much over 300 miles do you usually get per tank without running the subs? do you consistently get 280 miles per tank with them on? it could seriously just be coincidental. my miles per tank can easily vary from 300-400 depending on where/how i'm driving, and i usually fill my tank 2-3 times a week between driving to work and personal driving.

personally, i would use the subs. sucks friggin rule. 30 miles per tank difference is nothing. and if you're ONLY getting 280-300 to begin with, then i would assume you're doing more in-town driving. because on the highway i have gotten up to 430 miles on a tank. i would call it driving habits. take a long highway trip this weekend. drive to the destination with the subs on, drive home with them off. use the cruise and lock a constant speed. refill your tank in between and at the end. fill it until the pump handle clicks off and then record how many gallons. come back and tell us what your mileage was and then we will figure it out. i think this is a good experimental basis.

i have one more possibility in my head, but i will hold it until we talk more.

SSTS
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Instructor

This is one of the funniest threads i've read in a long time.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bello425
This is one of the funniest threads i've read in a long time.

i'll admit, it was funny when i first read it too. but c'mon guys, just think of how our first stupid question was. we all had to learn sometime.

and i notice my last post had a sentence in it that says "sucks friggin rule". that was supposed to be "subs friggin rule". ah well.

seriously though, we need to help educate anyone out there who seriously doesn't understand these things. i know not everyone was born with automotive skills or had the convenience of having someone around to teach them.

in all reality, it could be circulating ground currents from improper amp hookup. improper grounding will fuck your car up. had it happen to me on my last ford. anyone who doubts what i'm talking about can surely look it up in any college textbook for engineers. and if anyone here wants to question my credentials, i have a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from manhattan college in NY and minors in physics and math. i work in power generation/transmission and have seen this before in transmission systems where circulating currents develop in ground loops (unwanted obviously). now i'm talking about 345kV systems, but it does happen on smaller scales.

do i think this is necessarily the case here? no.

do i think it's just the way he drives and coincidental perception? yes.

like i said though, let him try the experiment i typed out and see what happens. even the impossible can happen sometimes.....

besides, i like laughing more at the VW jetta forum guy who painted his front calipers AND his rotors with a can of spray paint. anyone remember that thread?

SSTS
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Holy shit. We actually have 3 people that say "Amps lower gas mileage". I hope you 3 continue your jobs of licking salt off people's driveways and NEVER find postitions of power and auth :wtf: ority or that company is doomed.
Dude, I hope you didn't think I was serious. Note the :wtf:

I can't understand what this guy could be thinking. I can't see any difference in mpg with the amp on/off. Much less a 10% hit.
Look up "sarcasm".
Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM
My baby's daddy

i miss this thread