My bro got screwed on audio purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003 | 08:48 AM
Black is a ***** to Clean

My bro got screwed on audio purchase!

Hey,

Trying to get a second opinion here on my bro's situation. He got brand new parts from eBay from supposedly ruputable sellers with ratings in the 1000s. He got 1000/1 JL monoamp (subs), 2x JL w6v2 12" subs, 450/1 JL amp (speakers), and new front and rear speakers (Boston and another brand), and a cap. He had a box made @ Tweeters to fit the subs.

Roughly after 2 months are collecting parts from eBay..he goes to MyerAmco to have them install everything. The next day he goes to pick up his car and to pay rougly $780 for the install (damn!). Problem is....at his arrival the installers explain a "little" issue.

They claim the subs are blown! If you barely turn up the gain on the amp to the subs, the subs sound crappy. Also the cap shows a huge drop in power after that turnup in gain. They hooked up one of myeramo's test subs to our amp and it sounded pretty good..eliminating the chance the amp is at fault. They kept saying we shouldn't have gotten anything from eBay They also said if we continue to use this system after subs work...that we would need a YellowTop battery and probably a new alternator for the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We then went over to Tweeters who made/wired the box to see if they could find a better explanation for the blown subs. The guy there hooked up both subs to one of there "test" amps (JL 500/1) and after cranking it up a little bit..the amp was put into "safe mode", meaning the subs were trying to fry the amp.
He then took the subs out of the box and hooked up a power tester to each and one was reading around 4ish ohms while another was like 36ohmns! He also said not to buy from eBay!

Basically my brother is trying to get the seller to exchange his messed up sub(s) for new ones. The seller is claiming it has been two months which is suspicious to him and that he claims he tested the ohms before shipping. Basically the seller is saying "no warranty" which is fucked up. We should we do??? He bought though eBay and with PayPal, so there are outlets for complaints
Old 10-11-2003 | 05:33 PM
Yeehaw

tell your brother to send a scan of the receipt to the sellers to prove they were just installed recently and haven't been in use the whole time. that could help.
Old 10-11-2003 | 06:25 PM
-S namyaC-

The seller is bullshitting. You cannot test impedence with a standard DMM (digital multi-meter) or similar unit. All he could test for unless he has some $$$ equipment is DC resistance, which would easily be misiterpreted. Also, the DC resistance of a 4 ohm speaker should be lower than 4, around 3-3.5 ohms. The one speaker that is reading around 36 ohms, is prob fried. It sounds like the voice coil has melted some of it self together, or some of it fell off the back of the voice coil former (does it sound like a slinky?). Unless your bro messed with the stuff, I say it's the seller's prob.
Old 10-11-2003 | 06:29 PM
"hey...wanna f^&k"

or maybe the installers blew the subs. shit happens. but no way to really know now. did $780 include the "custom" box?
Old 10-11-2003 | 06:30 PM
"hey...wanna f^&k"

Originally posted by proaudio22
The seller is bullshitting. You cannot test impedence with a standard DMM (digital multi-meter) or similar unit. All he could test for unless he has some $$$ equipment is DC resistance, which would easily be misiterpreted. Also, the DC resistance of a 4 ohm speaker should be lower than 4, around 3-3.5 ohms. The one speaker that is reading around 36 ohms, is prob fried. It sounds like the voice coil has melted some of it self together, or some of it fell off the back of the voice coil former (does it sound like a slinky?). Unless your bro messed with the stuff, I say it's the seller's prob.
yeah, no speaker really reads 4ohm, they usually read under.
Old 10-11-2003 | 10:07 PM

The box cost extra from Tweeters. I'm gonna have my bro try some of your advice guys (email receipt).
Old 10-13-2003 | 05:26 AM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

check out ebays policy on defective products. they might have some help for you.
Old 10-13-2003 | 10:29 AM

It has seem that the seller has decided to cooperate a little bit I'm still waiting to hear how much cooperation he will provide!
Old 10-17-2003 | 03:25 PM
Balla on a Budget

Did the $780 inlcude any lube????