merged forums.. one big happy family now

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:42 AM
honk not beep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merged forums.. one big happy family now

wow.. im used to the av from the tsx forums only but i guess we are one big happy family now =). From the former tsx av forums, i say a big welcome to everyone.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very cool... We are going to have a great base for information..

While everybody is looking at this thread anyways.. a question.

What's the highest SPL (db) level any one here has ever hit in their Acura?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 AM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Smile

I apologize in advance if there is a better place to post this. Most of the threads that contain suggestions have a mod direct to THIS thread, however it is now closed, and I don't see another place to say this.

Traffic-wise I can see how it makes perfect sense to combine all the audio/video forums into one. From a social standpoint, I can see benefit in sharing audio / video mods with users of all models of Acura. Generic audio / video info also could benefit from a combined community (like the "Car Audio basics, or, SQ for noobs" thread). But the problem is, most of the modifications associated with audio and/or video are very specific to each model and even year of car.

I for one was already a bit frustrated trying to find threads that pertained to adding an aux input to the 2005 TSX w/Navi, which due to the addition of XM in '05, is a different thing than 04/Navi not to mention the two non-navi models. Now it seems I'll have to wade through threads regarding CL, RL, TL, and RDX audio, and no telling how many permutations of those there are.

From this point forward (assuming the forums stay combined) it would be a good idea to put the car model in the thread title, however since all the existing threads were created with the assumption they were already segregated by car model, that info is missing, so searching existing threads has now become much harder. Thread titles like "Removing door panels step by step pictures" and "FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!" have less meaning now.

I also think the location of the audio/video forum is less prominent now, and even less likely to be frequented. This is obvious to me by the number of audio/video related threads that are now popping up in the main TSX forum (and maybe the others).

My suggestion is to add "Audio / Video" directly in the main list for each car model maybe at the bottom or even directly under "Problems & Fixes". It seems to me that it would be just a relevant as "Tires, Wheels, & Suspension", and has an even better reason to be separated by model than "Racing & Competition".

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful. I appreciate the effort, and I think the Acurazine site and forums are top notch. I just figured I'd share my opinion while things are new, and still possibly evolving and changing.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:44 AM
honk not beep

Hey Mega,

I tend to agree on you there.. with the coming of a merged forum comes the problems of finding information more efficiently. The av forums have a unique problem because of this consolidation. It would be nice during posting to force which model of car the post is for so when we scan the list we only see the interested posts. If not, we may have to enforce some rule in the subject header to make it easier.

Also, I'm not too happy with av being an "off topic" forum. Av is not quite off topic. Before when av was in the tsx forums, we got quite good visibility and browsers. I know this might sound super complicated but maybe there is a way to "soft link" posts. So let each respective car forum keep their av forums, but then those posts are forwarded to a global av forum. When someone has interest in a very general topic they can scan the global av forum, and those are only interested in the av in their car can browse in their forum. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

yes big improvement, job well done.
good to see rep system gone - good riddence.
Hope single-sign-on will be next.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the look of the site, and the merged forums. One annoyance is that when I read the TSX threads and then hit "Mark All Read" it wiped out all the new posts on the "Off Topic" forum also. Any way we can make "Find New Posts" and "Mark All Read" forum specific?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
I like the look of the site, and the merged forums. One annoyance is that when I read the TSX threads and then hit "Mark All Read" it wiped out all the new posts on the "Off Topic" forum also. Any way we can make "Find New Posts" and "Mark All Read" forum specific?
That shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's happening?

This doesn't happen to me.

TSX and Off Topic are actually two completely seperate forums. Hmm. I'll look into it..
Old 01-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to put down the mods or any of their very hard work at all. But I tend to agree that it is now a lot harder to locate information specific to the model of the car. Now when I search for things, a lot of times I don't know what model Acura the information is related to. When the threads were created, the majority of them were created with the assumption that they would be placed in a section specific to each model.

Maybe either we can some type seperate thread listings for each model. Or if the Mods could somehow do a universal insertion of the Vehicle model in the subject line of all of the old threads, to show what forum they originally came from. Like inserting TSX in each thread that came from the TSX section. I'm not sure if they can track where each thread came from still. But it's just an idea.

I do like the fact that there are a lot more people to talk to though. The more knowledgeable people the better. It helps me learn a lot more.

Just my guyz.

Also, thanks again to the mods and everyone that made this conversion happen. I come from a technical background and I know how hard something like this is. Most users tend to take things for granted that it will all magically work and don't realize how much work is necessary for the implementation. So kudos to you guyz..!

Last edited by Tsx536; 01-14-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:25 PM
The Creator

Like I've said. We've found that the majority of frequent A/V visitors, spent time in the same forum on all communities.

Likewise, MOST A/V information is rather generic amongst the Acura brand.

Furthermore, A/V never received a large amount of traffic. It is our hopes that having a small amount of traffic from 3 communities will spur a large amount of conversation.

In the end, I think it will be to everones benefit. But we'll see. If it doesn't work... it doesn't work. Never something that can't be changed.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The way that the TL section had info seperated by model was a workable method IMO... since most of this info is for DIY folks and not theoretical discussions, it makes finding pertinent info harder. Subsections for vehicle-specific data would be a fix, and are the way I would cut the baby in half, if anyone asked me.

Now the other model owners will never get to read an ElD-BM thread as it develops...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:21 PM
The Creator

Sub sections are certainly a viable option, and will be considered as things evolve. Good idea

For now though, its been but a few days. We need to let the dust settle.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah a subsection would be great, whenever you guys have the time to implement this. I understand though soopa....You guys need to get some rest now!!

You guys accomplished a lot in just a couple of days. I know how it is...I work for a tax software company and we specialize in electronic filing. Today...is the official first day of tax season! I had to make a big push, just to make sure everything was ready for today.

It's time to chill now!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:03 PM
The Creator

Tell me about it. I work for the Dept. of Tax & Finance. Busy week.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
That shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's happening?

This doesn't happen to me.

TSX and Off Topic are actually two completely seperate forums. Hmm. I'll look into it..
It happened to be before as well. I just hit it a few seconds ago and it cleared out the new posts from RDX and TSX sites for me...
Old 01-14-2005, 04:10 PM
The Creator

hrmmm. K. will figure it out.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Really? Nice man....!!

What do you do there? I write the tax calculations for NY state & city in our software so I work with people from the NY Dept. of Tax & Finance quite a bit. I wonder if you ever come across any of our stuff.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:52 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Thumbs up

Like I've said. We've found that the majority of frequent A/V visitors, spent time in the same forum on all communities.

Furthermore, A/V never received a large amount of traffic. It is our hopes that having a small amount of traffic from 3 communities will spur a large amount of conversation.

In the end, I think it will be to everones benefit. But we'll see. If it doesn't work... it doesn't work. Never something that can't be changed.
Thanks for the reply... sorry if you are having to repeat yourself, I didn't see your other post(s) on this subject.

I think the issue boils down to this:

There are really two types of users here. One type (me) uses Acurazine as a resource of information, and the other type uses Acurazine as a social place to converse with other Acura owners. Type one prefers the information to be organized to maximize finding what you are looking for, and type two prefers a larger base of people to chat with.

If some clever method of maximizing both types of use can be achieved, then great, and if not, I'm still going to be a happy forum member. I haven't received my car yet (coming end of the month, '05 SS/EB/Auto/Navi) and when I do, I'll probably become "type two" anyway.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 AM
CEO of IMHO

I have expressed my discontent with the audio/video "reorg" to the moderators via email, with considered rationales for re-separation.

Here's a question for the mods: How many threads have you closed in the last week around people unhappy with the "merger" vs. the number of threads prior complaining that things were too separated?

Food for thought.

Jon

PS - I really like 'dude's idea of creating sub-forums by model. This is the classic "third way" of thinking that is sorely missing in today's increasingly black and white, divisive society.

Sub-forums by model essentially combines the needs of the mods for merger with the needs of many of its power users for separation.

Brilliant, elduderino.

Mods, why spend another day postponing the implementation of a great idea when it can be done today? Carpe Diem!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:54 AM
The Creator

Jon, you need to give it up. You've expressed your discontent as you say... more times then necessary.

Countless posts, e-mails. Etc. If our replies are not good enough for you... LEAVE!!!

It is a big internet, I have 50,000 members, we've received plenty of good words, plenty of bad... I don't have time to go round and round with you.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Blackbird baby..

Old 01-16-2005, 12:06 PM
The Creator

Old 01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
CEO of IMHO

Soopa,

C'mon, man. I believe the above was my first public post about the topic. Is that beating a dead fish? Does that justify such a threatening response? I don't think so -- especially since I believe all of my thoughts on the matter have been thoughtful, moderate, generally respectful, and solution-oriented.

Offering me to "LEAVE!!!" isn't a very friendly or moderate sentiment in my opinion. I'd prefer not to leave. I'd prefer to stay and to help make the forum the best it can be -- through my input and content.

I invite you to look through my posts throughout the years on your forums (TL and TSX). You'll see that my posts have been very helpful and insightful to others, and very respectful and mature. I would appreciate the same treatment in return.

Jon
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

awesome and responsible management to analyze user behaviour in web metrics.

good thinking
Old 01-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Soopa,

C'mon, man. I believe the above was my first public post about the topic. Is that beating a dead fish? Does that justify such a threatening response? I don't think so -- especially since I believe all of my thoughts on the matter have been thoughtful, moderate, generally respectful, and solution-oriented.

Offering me to "LEAVE!!!" isn't a very friendly or moderate sentiment in my opinion. I'd prefer not to leave. I'd prefer to stay and to help make the forum the best it can be -- through my input and content.

I invite you to look through my posts throughout the years on your forums (TL and TSX). You'll see that my posts have been very helpful and insightful to others, and very respectful and mature. I would appreciate the same treatment in return.

Jon
Jon

Easy easy easy.......

I'm sure you appreciate all the work that the management team has done on this free site... Let them work through it...I'm sure the management team will be happy to solicit your fine opinions once they have sorted through all the immediate qa issues.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:27 PM
The Creator

Jon, perhaps I was mistaken, if so... my apologies.

The fact remains, I have answered your discontent privately, as well as provided public answers to others answering the same question.

Need it really be repeated?

Let us do our jobs man! I said we would analyze things, and find what solution works best. The old way DID NOT work best. This new way may not either... we are working to find a middle ground.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
CEO of IMHO

Jerky,

Thanks for trying to help out -- I actually thought I was being easy-going: The only exclamation points I used was in a quote, and I just want to make sure the moderators take my critique in the right context by looking through my posts so that they know who I am (i.e., that I'm a member in very good standing with the community and not someone who critiques at the drop of a dime).

Regarding the site: I wouldn't have 300+ posts on Acurazine if it wasn't a great forum. I'm just trying to add to the discourse and help improve the site.

Is this not the right thread to actually share my opinion on the audio/video 'merger' publicly? Mods & fellow members, please advise, because I am frankly confused by the reaction my post seemed to generate.

Jon
Old 01-16-2005, 12:46 PM
The Creator

Jon, again... my apologies.

I just felt as if this need not be repeated over and over. The question was raised... and answered.

We will analyze forum usage to find the best possible solution. Until then... I'm closing this post.