Louder components

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Louder components

I have the alpine type Rs in my front door and I think they just arent loud enough. I use to have last years type Rs the all blue ones the SPR175a and I thought those were louder but the 176a are much more cleaner. THe amp I am using is fosgate power 550x and it pushes about 85 watts RMS. My gain are fairly low on the amp but not enough to underpower the speakers. I have no distortion what-so-ever at max volume, I just wish it was louder, (i do get distortion if i just touch the gain a tab more than what its at). I my whole system was professional installed besides my rear speakers. I was talkin to the shop manager and he says the next move I can make is just get type R components in the kicks and have my 550x power them to and let my CD player power the rear speaker. Or IF i get the Alpine SPX 177a's in the front door?

IS this audio Shizt a addiction or what
Old 07-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think that you have just gotten use to the sound of your components and that is why you think it is not loud enough.... and yess car audio is an addiction you always seem to want more... try turning your system off for a week and then listen to it again and make your decision at that time... oh one more thing.. you said that you speakers dont distort at max power... are you refering to your headunit all the way up... if so then i would say that your amp gains are set incorrectly... from how i was always taught you set the gains on your amps with the volume on your radio @ 3/4 full volume... and you turn the gains up until the speakers start to distort and then back it off about an 1/8 of a turn... or if you have the jl amps they tell you to turn then gains up until you have a specific voltage at the output of the amp.... oh one more question... what part of your components are you refering to as not being loud enough... the highs or just the whole speaker....
Old 07-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Yea I probally did get use to them but, since the Type Rs have a 86 DB sensitivity ands the Infintiys have a 90 DB would I get more sound out of those. I talked to the guy at circuit city and he was like with the power I am sending to those Type Rs my car should be rocking and I think that I am just to use to. Also I was thinking about gettin new amps but the dealer that did my whole install said it would not make a much differ if I went to the 300/4 from the 550x. What they did suggest was the 450/4 and some MB quartz components but i hate the sound of MB's ( i bet u are glad to here that huh shaw?). For now I will just leave it alone I guess.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think that you will see much difference upgrading to the 300/4.... i to do not like the sound of the quarts... i say just dont turn it up for a couple of days and then see what you think about it...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
dnd,
Before changing componenets, have you sound deadened your F/R doors? -both outer skin and inner skin. Maybe add another layer. Add a couple of stiffeners to the inner skin. Make sure your speaker flange has an air-tight seal against the baffle, and the baffle to the door skin. Try turning down the gain on your sub, it may be out of balance from your front stage a bit. Play around with your front stage HP xover point. Mark your original settings with a tape/pencil so you can always go back to your starting point. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

I think at this point I think I should also start worring about my ears. All my doors are sound dampened with Rockford DeadMat and both inner and outer skin. I think its just me gettin use to the sound and need to stop changing out my damn system. Everyone thinks my car is pretty loud so I might just listen to shaw and turn it down for a couple of days.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by shawhite
i think that you have just gotten use to the sound of your components and that is why you think it is not loud enough.... and yess car audio is an addiction you always seem to want more... try turning your system off for a week and then listen to it again and make your decision at that time
That is the BEST advice you could receive. You've grown accustomed to your system and are now starting to pick it apart. Not only should you not listen to yours for a week, listen to someone elses during that week. Your's will sound like a breath of fresh air after that. It's typically more common with subs than with components to have this affect, but there aren't really any rules on this.

Whenever I start to think mine is sounding off, I just listen to the system in my truck. Kenwood HU, Kicker 8" truck boxes, JBL 6.5s with a Profile 4 channel amp. VERY low budget but I drive the truck about 4 times a month. It REALLY opens my "ears" up to the system in my car.

Even better, listen to someone with the stock Blose system and then listen to yours...it's like falling back in love...:p
Old 07-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by bozzchem
That is the BEST advice you could receive. You've grown accustomed to your system and are now starting to pick it apart. Not only should you not listen to yours for a week, listen to someone elses during that week. Your's will sound like a breath of fresh air after that. It's typically more common with subs than with components to have this affect, but there aren't really any rules on this.

Whenever I start to think mine is sounding off, I just listen to the system in my truck. Kenwood HU, Kicker 8" truck boxes, JBL 6.5s with a Profile 4 channel amp. VERY low budget but I drive the truck about 4 times a month. It REALLY opens my "ears" up to the system in my car.

Even better, listen to someone with the stock Blose system and then listen to yours...it's like falling back in love...:p
My RSX system is a very very low budget system. When I listen to that and jump into the TL its like going to a concert. I do have a great sub and amp in the RSX but I have the factory deck with Alpine type S speakers in the front door. My amps is a US acoustic and Diamond Audio CM3 12" sub.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dnd2984
My RSX system is a very very low budget system. When I listen to that and jump into the TL its like going to a concert. I do have a great sub and amp in the RSX but I have the factory deck with Alpine type S speakers in the front door. My amps is a US acoustic and Diamond Audio CM3 12" sub.
Unless you're just looking for a reason to part with some dough, I'd leave well enough alone. I'm going to give mine a few months and then decide if I'm happy with it.