link to pictures of 2005 TSX completed install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
link to pictures of 2005 TSX completed install

So I finally finished the hard part of installing my system. I just have to swap out the front door speakers and it'll be what I like to think of as done for this iteration. Yes, it'll all get upgraded at some point, I'm sure. A link to the pictures page:

05 TSX Sound System Installation

I've also included a few links to where I got the LED's and carpet on that page. The amps don't seem to have very good voltage regulation on them (no surprise for what I paid), though they do sound good overall. Probably will be the first thing I upgrade. Whenever I turn any power hungry accessory on the initial power draw causes a short "dropout" from the amps. D'oh!

I've got a friend who said he could loan me a cap to throw in there until I get around to upgrading the amps to see if that helps. This is definitely a transient type of issue, so I'm thinking the cap might help (I realize that capacitors don't supply "magic" power, and don't increase power available or anything like that, but are commonly used in voltage regulation applications.) If anyone has suggestions or comments on this idea, please let me know.

Now, I know that we have an alternator on the TSX that puts out roughly 105A, and it's typically assumed that the car uses between 60 and 80% of that, allowing for some extra. I have only added the two amplifiers one 200W RMS (2x100) and the other 240W RMS (4x60). So theoretically I could be drawing as much as 17A + 20A = 37A from that (using 12V to calculate.) The LED's are drawing no more than 40mA total , so not even worth considering. That brings me to about 35% of our alternator output when I've got the level cranked.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks pretty nice.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, it's obvious that you went to a lot of work.

I have two questions:

1) What's the internal volume of that box? It looks like behind-the-seat truck box - hoping it's the right volume.

2) I just can't say that securing 4GA wire under the car in a rubber hose with wire ties holding it to the brake lines sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it was a LOT easier than running 4GA inside the car to the trunk... but I'd be really worried about a wire tie letting go, a loop of wire sagging, and the brake line getting tugged on at speed. I also am not confident in the protective ability of rubber hose against road debris.

If the rest of your work is all done, it's not much more work to re-route that 4GA, and I'd strongly suggest it.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino

I have two questions:

1) What's the internal volume of that box? It looks like behind-the-seat truck box - hoping it's the right volume.

2) I just can't say that securing 4GA wire under the car in a rubber hose with wire ties holding it to the brake lines sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it was a LOT easier than running 4GA inside the car to the trunk... but I'd be really worried about a wire tie letting go, a loop of wire sagging, and the brake line getting tugged on at speed. I also am not confident in the protective ability of rubber hose against road debris.

If the rest of your work is all done, it's not much more work to re-route that 4GA, and I'd strongly suggest it.
Running 4 guage through the cabin of a TSX is VERY SIMPLE. Just thought I'd throw that in there
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

I have two questions:

I used the spec sheet that came with the sub to build it. Sealed enclosure of 1 cubic foot interior accounting for the sub size, loose packed fiberfill. As to the a lot of work thing - I'm a detail kind of person, and don't mind putting a little elbow grease into making something showcase my personality. Thanks for noticing

I guess I'm just leery (sp) of putting anything through the firewall. I've read about the various options we have on our car, and looked at all the threads relating to it here, but don't really like any of them. I liked whoever had the idea of running it through the chassis, though couldn't quite figure out how to feed it without a fishline. Maybe I just need to bite the figurative bullet and do it. If it'll ever stop having crazy / rainy / snowy / random weather here in Boston....
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

So I realize this thread has been dead for 4 years, but thought I'd give an update on how it's holding up. Every time I have the car up on the lift for an oil change / tire rotation, I do a walk under and check everything. None of the zip ties have even started to come loose, and there are no chips or signs of wear on the hose containing the wire.

By comparison, the factory installed O2 sensor wire on OEM harnesses has been ripped off the car three times by these New England roads... Last time, I used zip-ties on that as well instead of spending $20+ on a new harness, and haven't had a problem with it for over 2 years now.

Oh yeah, and please don't crucify me for resurrecting a dead thread.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job man!

Props!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
niiice install! i actuallly have my amps in the same exact spot.. i would love to fabricate a mount like you did.. i just have them going into the board thru the floor and trunk tray.. i may look into this more!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

it may be easier but not safer. Any debris can chip the coating and ground out your system. advise, any day u feel boring, throw the cable through the car's interior. no sweat