Lines in navi screen. I'm yanking my hair out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 07:46 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Lines in navi screen. I'm yanking my hair out!!!

Hey guys. I tried everything to get rid of the lines in my navi screen after doing the nav 2 dvd conversion. I took all the hints and pointers I could find by searching through the forums but can't fix it.

Tried:
different ground points (many different places)
changing grounds on neg. terminal to 2 gauge cables
using noise filters (three different kinds)
running wire in different locations away from other wiring

Does anyone have any other ideas, or how you solved the same problem?
Any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:13 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i think when u do the navi converter there will ALWAYS be lines...its just a matter of how many bad the lines are...the filters i think only improve the quality not rid the navigation completely of lines......try PMing ELDUDERINO or STREETEFFECTZ im sure they can help you out
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

When you talk about the filters. Are you talking about putting the Ground loop isolator on the RCAs?

You should try putting an inline power filter on the power input of the nav2dvd unit. I know CJams went through the same thing. Maybe he can help you out. Where ya at CJams ?
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:19 AM

Well, I had noise in the audio, but I was able to cure that by getting better rca's and running them differently. I tried the in-line power filters, that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Forgot to add, I even tried grounding directly to the battery.
Old 12-11-2005 | 01:02 AM
Still here

I had problems when I did this myself. I had to do 3 things to get rid fo them:

Power filter on the DVD player.
Real 75 Ohm video cable, not just a regular RCA cable.
Run the video cable way WAY far away from any other electrical source or wiring.
Old 12-11-2005 | 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pistacio
Well, I had noise in the audio, but I was able to cure that by getting better rca's and running them differently. I tried the in-line power filters, that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Forgot to add, I even tried grounding directly to the battery.
Is this a unit from Vsolokov?
Old 12-11-2005 | 01:52 AM

The unit is from the recent group buy, Dom's nav unit.
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pistacio
The unit is from the recent group buy, Dom's nav unit.
Dom knows his units in and out.. I wouldn't hesitate to call him.. I have not heard any "line" issues with his units.. Just Vsolokovs old unit..
Old 12-12-2005 | 11:02 AM
Guinea Pig

Did you try putting an in-line POWER filter in? That would be a filter attached to the 12v power line supplying the 12v to the nav conversion unit. It has 3 wires on it. 1.Ground 2. Wire comming from 12v power source(battery). 3. Filtered power out running to doms unit. That should fix it! Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005 | 08:36 PM

O.k...After messing around with it a little, I finally managed to get the lines out of the screen. It turns out that my capacitor or amp was causing interference. Once I disconnected my 12v (at the battery) going to the cap, which in turn connects to the amp, there were virtually no more lines on the screen.

Now next problem, noise from the dvd player audio outputs. I tried different grounding points, grounding straight to the battery, ground loop isolaters at the dvd player output and the head unit input, in-line power filters (lots of them), and still can't get rid of it. None of the above worked. I also tried moving the dvd player away from everything and placing it on top of a peice of 1" thick wood.

I'm pretty sure the dvd player is causing the problem because when I unplug the rca's at the dvd player (still plugged in the aux. input at the head unit) the noise is almost non-existant.

Is this still a grounding issue? Does it matter where I'm getting the power from for my dvd player? Currently, power is at the console power port-same for the nav unit.

I'm completely stumped on what my next move should be. Any more suggestions???
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:33 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

lol i just got my nav to dvd converter yesterday and i am having the exact same problems!!! they are realy pissing me of.. the lines are so annoyng on the screen but the peeeeee sound is worse...let me know if you figure anything out ..please!! you know what im going thru lol...

where are you getting your power from... your amp?? cuz i have the same set up..
i have a cap and amp and the cap gets the power streight from the battery...where did u hook up the nav converter power to to get rid of the lines on the screen?
Old 12-17-2005 | 01:19 AM

Blueglows, make sure your nav converter is no where near your power wire or cap or amp. I thought mine was far enough from them, but it wasn't. The converter is mounted under the rear deck. I left my cap disconnected for now, it was mounted under my nav drive in the trunk. Power for the converter was taken from the center console aux power port. I forgot what color the wire is for power, I had a wire there since I had my air ride in. I grounded everything to a bolt in the back of the trunk, behind the carpeted panel near the driver side taillight. There are factory ground wires (like, six of them) on a ring terminal already attached there(for the lights, I think?).

I have BARELY any visible lines in the screen now, the best i've had it so far (I'm a bit of a perfectionist). As for the sound issue, it turns out my dvd player has a 2v output and my aux input adapter for my head unit is only rated for 1v. So, I turned down the sound level in my head unit for the aux source and adjusted the volume on the dvd player. I now have a faint hiss sound but that also is barely noticeable.

If you change your ground and power wires, you will probably take care of all of the problems your having, it just takes time. Hope that helped, my fingers are tired, lol.