Just added an AMP to the CL, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005 | 11:25 AM
8th Gear

Just added an AMP to the CL, but...

I just added Fosgate P4004 to my 2001 acura CL. I used RCA line converter from Best Buy. The AMP does work and there are sound coming from my Punch subwoofer. The AMP does 200Watt X 2 channel to my two 12" woofer. The only problem I have is the bass from the subwoofer is not strong enough or not loud enough. I was thinking this could be due to the head unit not having a bass setting. Do I need to add an EQ to make the bass sound good and loud or do I need a stronger AMP. I already tried to adjust the level of the AMP, but it still not good enough for me.

Before I have the Acura CL, I have Acura Intregra. I used JVC head unit, Sony Amp (this is older amp and has less power than Fosgate amp), and with the same woofer. The bass sound really good and loud even though the Sony Amp was not that powerful. From this comparison, I believe the Acura CL head unit is preventing a good bass signal to the Subwoofer.

Last edited by Xrock; 08-08-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:30 AM
Instructor

is there a gain setting you the rf amp?
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:34 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NICKTL
is there a gain setting you the rf amp?
Yes, there is front gain and crossover setting. I already attempted to adjust them, but it does not sound as loud as I wanted it to.
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:15 PM
Instructor

is the rf amp going straight to the stock hu? did you disconnect the stock amp and take out the 9" stock sub?
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:35 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NICKTL
is the rf amp going straight to the stock hu? did you disconnect the stock amp and take out the 9" stock sub?
As I mention, I used RCA line converter for the signal to the RF AMP. Acura CL stock stereo sytem does not have a normal RCA input to the AMP, so I used the sound signal from the speaker line by using the RCA line converter. I still used the factory AMP to power up the stock speakers. I just used the RF AMP to power my subwooder. There is no 9" stock sub with this car. There is no bass at all with this car when using stock audio system, that why I decided to add RF AMP to my two 12" sub.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:10 PM
Drifting

Does the line output converter have a gain setting? Set it to the max. If it already is, it still might be knocking the voltage down on the signal coming out of the head unit too much. You should use different LOC that converts speaker wire to the RCA's but does not reduce the voltage since your most likely using a signal that's preamp level. I believe soundgate makes such a LOC, i'll have to double check.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:15 PM
trill recognize trill

how much was the amp
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by VTEC11
Does the line output converter have a gain setting? Set it to the max. If it already is, it still might be knocking the voltage down on the signal coming out of the head unit too much. You should use different LOC that converts speaker wire to the RCA's but does not reduce the voltage since your most likely using a signal that's preamp level. I believe soundgate makes such a LOC, i'll have to double check.
Yes, it does. LOC is ICE AULOC. They are part of the Rockford Fosgate company or division. I try to adjust it, but it only helps a little bit. Does a different LOC make that much of a difference or better?
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:51 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by yunginTL
how much was the amp
I brought the AMP for about 180.00 dollars, including shipping and handling.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Xrock
Yes, it does. LOC is ICE AULOC. They are part of the Rockford Fosgate company or division. I try to adjust it, but it only helps a little bit. Does a different LOC make that much of a difference or better?
Yes it does. There are LOC's made to connect upto speaker wires after the signal is amplified, and then there are LOC's that are made to connect upto wires that are preamp level (before amplifier), which I think is the case in the CL. Depends on where you are tapping into the wires.
Old 08-08-2005 | 05:48 PM
El Presidente

yeah where exactly did u tap the wires from, because when i installed a system on a CL we took it from the rear speakers. Also, did u check ur powerwire?
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:36 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dark inspire
yeah where exactly did u tap the wires from, because when i installed a system on a CL we took it from the rear speakers. Also, did u check ur powerwire?
Tap the wiring from the back speaker (LOC). The power is tap directly from the battery using 4 Guage thick wiring. The remote is splice from the factory amp. I'm happy there are some bass to the car, but not over joy because it is still not enough. Maybe I need to replace the head unit with after maket one, which probably would cost a lot more than the LOC.

When you installed the LOC to a CL and I'm not sure which Amp you used, but does it sound good and have plenty of bass?
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:31 PM
Drifting

Does the CL have a separate sub like the TL does? If so, it might be limiting the bass to the back speakers from which you tapped into?

Tap the wiring from the back speaker (LOC). The power is tap directly from the battery using 4 Guage thick wiring. The remote is splice from the factory amp. I'm happy there are some bass to the car, but not over joy because it is still not enough. Maybe I need to replace the head unit with after maket one, which probably would cost a lot more than the LOC.

When you installed the LOC to a CL and I'm not sure which Amp you used, but does it sound good and have plenty of bass?
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:55 PM
Guinea Pig

Is your sub hooked up backwards?
Old 08-10-2005 | 02:20 PM
El Presidente

Looks like you did everything like i did, but did u use just one Channel into the LOC or 2. I hooked up a JL 500/1 and a 10W7 and it seemed to work fine.
Old 08-10-2005 | 02:21 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by VTEC11
Does the CL have a separate sub like the TL does? If so, it might be limiting the bass to the back speakers from which you tapped into?

as far as i know the CL does not have a stock sub, only two 6x9's in the back.
Old 08-12-2005 | 03:21 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dark inspire
Looks like you did everything like i did, but did u use just one Channel into the LOC or 2. I hooked up a JL 500/1 and a 10W7 and it seemed to work fine.
There is a left and right AV output. I used them both. My does work fine, but the bass coming from the speaker is not enough or should be more since this is a more powerful amp than the Sony amp which used to be on the Integra (same speaker was used). The only other difference is I have JVC headunit and could adjust the bass setting from JVC. I guess there is a limit when using LOC and headunit that does not have a bass setting. The only conclusion I could reach is, more powerful AMP (like 400-600 rms watt per channel or aftermarket headunit with bass setting w/better AV preamp).
Old 08-12-2005 | 03:28 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by CJams
Is your sub hooked up backwards?
It fairly easy to hook up or wire the subwoofer. There + and -. Just hook up + of the speaker to the + of amp and - on the speaker to - on the amp. Also it depend on the AMP, if it is a 4 channel or a 2 channel brigde or even 1 channel brigde and ect...