which JL's should Stephy get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which JL's should Stephy get?

hello everyone, (FYI: i have a 2005 TSX no navi. i am looking for no distortion and i listen to rap, techno i like bass, but want clear good quality. not just pounding...)ANyway so I have decided to first get some bass before i get my wheels. i went to this local place and this is what im thinking:

both JL AUDIO for subs & amps

SUBS: (one or the other)

2 CS210RG-W0-4
or
1 CVS110G-W3v2

powered by:

AMPS: (need to choose one of these)
250/I
e1200
e1400D

any of you know much about these?

I also thought about Alpine R's or even the new X.
Anybody know about Memphis M class amps & subs???
thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
JL is a good brand but they can sometimes be kind of expensive two. If you want good sound quality I would suggest the w3v2 and the 250.1 amp. I also would suggest another brand that may be cheaper than JL an dyou probably have not heard of is Memphis Audio. They are what I have and I had JL before them and I really like them a lot more than my JL's that I had. They have a couple different models I have the M3 subs and the 500.1 amp not the power reference amp but what ever the series amp above it is. If you want any more info just pm me.

I didnt even see your question about the Memphis M class subs and amps. Yes I know about them and I love them. I have one and I might even get two cause I love base. I used to have a JL W6v2 and then I switched to a Memphis M3 and it hits a lot harder than the W6v2 ever did.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get 1 12'' V.3 D2 IDMAX and a JL 1000/1 Monoblock
Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
tsxy

so it hits harder but how is the clarity? i dont want something ridiculous
Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I say get a JL w7. Best sub i ever owned, kinda pricey though. I like it better than my old IDMAX12.

Or just get the one CVS110G-W3v2
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would not use the Alpine, better performance and better deals to be had.

The Memphis is well thought of by some, especially East of the Rockies... I ahve so little experience with it I an't comment. Scott P here thinks well of some of their gear, I'd ask him speciifically.

The "slash" series is fully regulated, the "e" series is not and is cheaper, if you can afford it in your budget it's hard to get a better amp than the "slash" series. The w0 is not as good as the W3v2, so I'd go "e" and W0 on a tight budget and "/" W3 v2 on a better budget, which I suspect you can support : )

In talking to a local rep, I got no good recommendations, so I'd go to J and J and see how they treat you. It's a lot easier to add bass only than it is to add an amp playing mids and highs too... any of these close to you?

J & J Electronics, Inc

3240 W 63rd Street
Chicago, IL
773-476-1334
J&Jelectronics@ameritech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J & J Electronics, Inc

7433 S State Street
Chicago, IL
773-651-6728
Old 03-21-2005, 10:35 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
JL is a good brand but they can sometimes be kind of expensive two. If you want good sound quality I would suggest the w3v2 and the 250.1 amp. I also would suggest another brand that may be cheaper than JL an dyou probably have not heard of is Memphis Audio. They are what I have and I had JL before them and I really like them a lot more than my JL's that I had. They have a couple different models I have the M3 subs and the 500.1 amp not the power reference amp but what ever the series amp above it is. If you want any more info just pm me.

I didnt even see your question about the Memphis M class subs and amps. Yes I know about them and I love them. I have one and I might even get two cause I love base. I used to have a JL W6v2 and then I switched to a Memphis M3 and it hits a lot harder than the W6v2 ever did.
Acura is a good brand but they can be kind of expensive too...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stphy32
so it hits harder but how is the clarity? i dont want something ridiculous

sir, where you going to get these installed?

Also check out JBL amps, great amps for the price. IMO

carmedia1.com has them for good prices.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
The clarity of the Memphis M3 is very good in my opinion. The bass hits hard and clean.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

I say go for the JL's !!...thats what im going for
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by CedNBHTL
I say go for the JL's !!...thats what im going for
what are u getting?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
I say get a JL w7. Best sub i ever owned, kinda pricey though. I like it better than my old IDMAX12.

Or just get the one CVS110G-W3v2
yeah i hear those are supposed to be really good but i think that may be too much bass for me....
plus they are $$
Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Xenogen
Get 1 12'' V.3 D2 IDMAX and a JL 1000/1 Monoblock
i hope youre kidding
i dont need something like that
jl 1000 hahah
Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey

so u have the M3 huh? those i see on their website are all about power. the m-class says "takes sound quality to the next level"
do u know the diff b/w m3 and m class?
i want bass, but not shitty bass than i cant even hear the treble
Old 03-22-2005, 09:31 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by elduderino
Acura is a good brand but they can be kind of expensive too...
acura??
Old 03-22-2005, 09:40 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
sir, where you going to get these installed?

Also check out JBL amps, great amps for the price. IMO

carmedia1.com has them for good prices.
sir??? lol
yes mam, i am looking at getting them installed at mobil-tel. next to exotic sports cars on north ave. this place is a certified JL dealer and since they are right next to that car dealership they have installed on lambos, ferrari's, vipers, etc... so i would hope they could do my acura
Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 AM
El Presidente

i have one JL 12W3v2 and i like it, the bass is there and it is smooth. It doesn't shake the whole neighborhood but it is pretty precise. I would recommend that. I will be gettin a 10W6v2 in a bit and i will tell you how that compares.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by elduderino
I would not use the Alpine, better performance and better deals to be had.

The Memphis is well thought of by some, especially East of the Rockies... I ahve so little experience with it I an't comment. Scott P here thinks well of some of their gear, I'd ask him speciifically.

The "slash" series is fully regulated, the "e" series is not and is cheaper, if you can afford it in your budget it's hard to get a better amp than the "slash" series. The w0 is not as good as the W3v2, so I'd go "e" and W0 on a tight budget and "/" W3 v2 on a better budget, which I suspect you can support : )

In talking to a local rep, I got no good recommendations, so I'd go to J and J and see how they treat you. It's a lot easier to add bass only than it is to add an amp playing mids and highs too... any of these close to you?

J & J Electronics, Inc

3240 W 63rd Street
Chicago, IL
773-476-1334

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J & J Electronics, Inc

7433 S State Street
Chicago, IL
773-651-6728

hey they arent exactly close but i can definitely make a trip there. thanks so much for the info!!

who is scott p???

your last comment about adding bass but having mids and highs...
yes it would seem that adding bass would be easy but sacrificing mids and highs could tend to follow... i dont want to do that. im sure there are tons of shitty subs/amps that do this...
do u think the JL amps/subs i listed allow me to still be able to hear some mids and highs?
this is also why i am probably not interested in like a w7 b/c that i think may be too much bass for me?
i think if i had a shitty car i might go all out but i dont want to risk really affecting the car like seals coming lose and mirrors falling off.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
i have one JL 12W3v2 and i like it, the bass is there and it is smooth. It doesn't shake the whole neighborhood but it is pretty precise. I would recommend that. I will be gettin a 10W6v2 in a bit and i will tell you how that compares.
what amp do u have it hooked up to?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
El Presidente

what amp do u have it hooked up to?

JL 500/1
Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
tsxy

whats the rms on this?
do u think it sounds clear? can u hear highs/mids?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
El Presidente

whats the rms on this?
do u think it sounds clear? can u hear highs/mids?

yes you can hear the high's and mids. do you plan on running it off an aftermarket headunit or the stock one? the whole sound is pretty well balanced.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
tsxy

yes you can hear the high's and mids. do you plan on running it off an aftermarket headunit or the stock one? the whole sound is pretty well balanced.
the stock unit. it looks way too good to change it. i dont want it to look ghetto
what is yours? stock or aftermarket?

i may hook up my stock speakers to a better amp?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 AM
El Presidente

the stock unit. it looks way too good to change it. i dont want it to look ghetto
what is yours? stock or aftermarket?

i may hook up my stock speakers to a better amp?

im running off the stock HU for now, but will upgrade shortly. I would suggest gettin better speakers and an amp for them. But elduderino and a few other residents knwo moreabout that then i do as far as hooking all that up to a stock headunit. But you definately can. depending on ur budget, you can just hook up the amp n sub like i did, its worth it.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
tsxy

i didnt think u could hook up better speakers without changing the HU??
i do not, absolutly not want to change the HU b/c i love my 6 disk changer, XM radio, controls on my steering wheel, etc..
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 AM
El Presidente

i didnt think u could hook up better speakers without changing the HU??
i do not, absolutly not want to change the HU b/c i love my 6 disk changer, XM radio, controls on my steering wheel, etc..

ok, then im pretty sure you can hook everything up while keepin the stock headunit. Elduderino or TSX536, can confirm this though, because im not too familiar w/the TSX setup, i have a TL.

anyone else wan't to chime in?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 AM
esk
Advanced

The head unit is connected to an amplifier in the dash under the "not an ashtray". I think you want to replace that particular hw and keep the stock head unit.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

W7's sound good. Just make sure you get some dynamat
Old 03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT

So a soild european car
Old 03-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

who is scott p???
I am Scott P.

You will have to forgive me for not noticing this post sooner. Nonetheless it seems to me that you are lloking for a good sql style system on a bit of a budget. As far as it sounds you wouldn't want to spend the money for an M3 sub from Memphis. As far as comparisons go this is how you ought to look at JL v. Memphis

W7 = well nothing. JL went out of there way to construct this driver and to be honest there are very few companies that come close to competing with it. Unfortunately that compition comes with a fairly hefty price tag.

W6v2 = M3
Personally in hearing the two I think i might give a miniscule edge to the JL sub, but when you factor in price, average listening, etc I would venture to say the M3 sub is a better deal. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to say that it's a better sub. That is pretty much a subjective thing that each person is going to have determine on their own.

w3v2 = MClass
I'll be the first to admit I really haven't played much with the new w3's. What I can tell you is that the MClass subs are meant to primarily be run in small sealed enclosures and that even though you don't get as much overall output out of these subs you do get a great SQ expirience. These are the subs that recommend to my customers here in town that have that true audiophile ear...

w1/w0 = PR
I really know nothing about the JL entry level stuff other than other's opinions on them, as for the memphis stuff, it is entry level. Great for the price, but remember it's usually true in Car audio that you get what you pay for. . . .

I must say that I am fairly biased towards Memphis produscts given the hometown effect and the fact that as a company they go out of their way to take care me personally as well as my company. That being said I actually am not running any of their equipment in my car at the moment, and I'v never used any of their subs in my car

If you are feeling expirimental, do what I did. I took a flyer and tried Elemental Designs. I ordered a 12k a little over a year ago on a whim and in my eyes there hasn't been much to sway me that dollar for dollar there is anything better than it on the market. Best of all I go head to head against kids with multiple subs and 8-1200 watts and either beat them out or turn their heads when they see I'm running 1 12 off 200w of power. . .

So many decisions. . . .
Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, then im pretty sure you can hook everything up while keepin the stock headunit. Elduderino or TSX536, can confirm this though, because im not too familiar w/the TSX setup, i have a TL.

anyone else wan't to chime in?
First off, I like JL stuff myself. I've heard good things about Memphis, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I would go for a 250/1 and a 12" w3v2 in a sealed box. I run a 12w3v2 in my car with about 250-300 watts RMS going into it and I really like the sound. The bass is clean and I really think it balances well with the rest of my system.

I would recommend getting a bass knob aka gain control knob. I love mine because it allows be bump hard when I want and not bump at all when I'm driving through my neighborhood on the late night.

Sounds like she wants to keep the current factory highs and then just add a bass amp and woofer. This should be pretty easy to do for the installer. He can just grab sound for the amp by disconnecting the rear 6x9's and tapping into the sound there with a LOC/hi-lo converter in. The rest of the highs in the system will not be effected.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT
what does dynamat do? how much $$?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:18 PM
tsxy

hi scott P. really quick before i read everything, i was quoted $1000 for 2 m-class plus m-amp
do u know what sizes the m-class subs come in? your typical 10,12 & 15? i think these were 12's????
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Scott P
I am Scott P.

w3v2 = MClass
I'll be the first to admit I really haven't played much with the new w3's. What I can tell you is that the MClass subs are meant to primarily be run in small sealed enclosures and that even though you don't get as much overall output out of these subs you do get a great SQ expirience. These are the subs that recommend to my customers here in town that have that true audiophile ear...

So many decisions. . . .
SCOTT HELP
what is SQ experience mean??

what is an audiophile ear?

i am serious and a :noob: im sorry i dont know terms!!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Tsx536
First off, I like JL stuff myself. I've heard good things about Memphis, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I would go for a 250/1 and a 12" w3v2 in a sealed box. I run a 12w3v2 in my car with about 250-300 watts RMS going into it and I really like the sound. The bass is clean and I really think it balances well with the rest of my system.

I would recommend getting a bass knob aka gain control knob. I love mine because it allows be bump hard when I want and not bump at all when I'm driving through my neighborhood on the late night.

Sounds like she wants to keep the current factory highs and then just add a bass amp and woofer. This should be pretty easy to do for the installer. He can just grab sound for the amp by disconnecting the rear 6x9's and tapping into the sound there with a LOC/hi-lo converter in. The rest of the highs in the system will not be effected.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Scott P
I am Scott P.

If you are feeling expirimental, do what I did. I took a flyer and tried Elemental Designs. I ordered a 12k a little over a year ago on a whim and in my eyes there hasn't been much to sway me that dollar for dollar there is anything better than it on the market. Best of all I go head to head against kids with multiple subs and 8-1200 watts and either beat them out or turn their heads when they see I'm running 1 12 off 200w of power. . .

So many decisions. . . .
\

i went onto elemental designs and did not see a 12k. i see 9kv.2, 11kv.2, 13kv.2 & 16kv.2
which one do u have? can u send me a link?
also what amp are u using?

do u feel that u get good highs and mids?
i dont want just pounding i actually want to hear my music, ya know?

where do u order at? their website?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Tsx536

aww u soo smart, thats why i you hehe

how do i get a bass knob? i want one! how much did u pay for all your stuff?
what amp are u using?

maybe eventually i change amp in my stock unit
Old 03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
El Presidente

aww u soo smart, thats why i you hehe

how do i get a bass knob? i want one! how much did u pay for all your stuff?
what amp are u using?

maybe eventually i change amp in my stock unit

the bass knob is around 30-50 buckz and im sure you can get it from any JL Authorized Dealer, or even eBay. My friend is sending me a Bass Knob!

oh yeah the part number is: RBC-1
Old 03-22-2005, 02:34 PM
VP Electricity

SQ means sound quality. It's the difference between hearing music that sounds like it might be live, and hearing special effects like those in a movie. The special effects are impressive, but they aren't about musical performance.

An audiophile is someone who A) enjoys music most when it's played back on a high-quality system, and B) Has never heard a song all the way through because after 10 seconds he hits Pause and says, "there -did'ja hera that!?" : )

Audiophiles use words to describe the sound of different components, especially speakers, the way Paul Giamatti talked about wine in the movie Sideways. That's not bad, I'm just being a little self-disparaging, because I am certainly an audiophile (especially compared to my wife, who can enjoy a song she likes on a crappy mono Am station. I usually can't.)

As an example, I used to sell a well-known brand of amps, component speaks, and subs. The speaks were not great in the SQ department. But they were pretty bulletproof, and if someone came in who was just gonna turn it up as high as they could as soon, as they could, these were good products for them - they didn't sound GREAT, but they didn't blow up, either - and they sounded impressive. SQ wasn't the issue - durability and loudness were.

So one of the things that happens when people assemble good systems is that they notice things they never noticed before, and become more of an audiophile than they were. It's fun, and I really believe that part of the appeal of "hi-fi" as a hobby is the rush you get listening to a well-known song and hearing aspects of it come out that you haven't heard before.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:35 PM
El Presidente

^ took the words right out of my mouth

Quick Reply: which JL's should Stephy get?