iPod Integration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Integration Questions

I was planning on integrating my iPod into my car but was not interested in spending $200+ on any sort of kit (ie., icelink, etc.) since my headunit has auxillary input jacks, I figured I'd just get a regular apple iPod dock (about $30 bucks) and just run a cable from that to the headunit.

The question is, has anyone ever had an iPod on a dock in their car, does the iPod stay in there, or will it fall out? The reason I like the apple dock is because it is so small and hopefully i can integrate it well into my dash. (97 3.0CL Auto)

Also, having power goto the ipod while its docked is not a must, but it would certainly be nice. I definitely do not want any fluggy cords coming out of my cigarrete adapter, so has anyone hardwired a dock or fireire cable to their car? I believe the iPod runs on 12V and 1amp max. I'm not sure how many amps are in the cars electrical system, probably more, is there a device that can convert the cars 12V ?amps into th 12V and 1 amp that the iPod needs?

If anyone has done this before, or has any ideas, please let me know, thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of car? What kind of deck do you have?

I don't think the regular dock will do a good job of keeping the Ipod in there. It's not very deep and the Ipod doesn't slide that far into it. I don't know how you drive...but I like to take turns kinda fast sometimes....

Anyway so you don't like these belkin products? You can probably find them cheap on Ebay.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=153999

For that power adapter, it provides the sound and the power to the Ipod. You could probably hardwire it into your car somehow. I don't have any experience with this myself but maybe Eld or Ou Sig can help out.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tsx536; 02-02-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You will still need the SHOND or the Blitz or Autotoys equivalent to access the AUX input for anythong that's not the OE optional disc drive. The "AUX jack" is NOT a jack in the sense that it's a standard connector - it's proprietary to Honda and the HU has to "see" an authroized source unit to turn it on. The SHOND-type adapter fools the HU into enabling the input.

If your car is an '05 and has factory XM, then you may have an issue.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, sorry, I didn't really specify, but the head unit is a panasonic CQ-DFX983U mp3/wma cd player, etc with a pair of rca input jacks on the back. By no means do I intend on controller the iPod from the head unit, I would just put my HU on the auxillary input mode and from there control the music from the ipod itself. Thanks for the ideas though. I just got a good idea for mounting it flat in the cup holder with some nice foam padding, etc, if I get anything done, I'll definitely post pics. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
You will still need the SHOND or the Blitz or Autotoys equivalent to access the AUX input for anythong that's not the OE optional disc drive. The "AUX jack" is NOT a jack in the sense that it's a standard connector - it's proprietary to Honda and the HU has to "see" an authroized source unit to turn it on. The SHOND-type adapter fools the HU into enabling the input.

If your car is an '05 and has factory XM, then you may have an issue.

Does the '05 TSX with XM not have an AUX connector on the HU? I thought XM was integrated into the HU.