iPod IceLink connection with Navi

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also asking, because the icelink wire has no brown or orange wires like the blitzsafe harness does...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vkewalra
I was just skipping the obvious: it's not going to work.

Dension changed the cable. You could cut off the female adapter from the pre-spliced cable you have and splice that onto the new ice-link. just twist the wires from the female adapter onto the wires from the ice-link's cable ( but don't cut those wires). Then wrap them with electrical tape. I soldered the wires together just to make sure.

Or you don't have "grow some balls" and just order this:
http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/...4_127_5510.php
As far as earlier posts have said it's a premade, snap on splitter.
Are you sure that won't require any splicing? Even with the old IceLink and SNHOND3 adapter, using that particular harness required splicing. I don't see why it would be any different now.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Life's a beach

Geeze...wire splicing, a y-harness, soldering, whatever....just to be able to play tunes on a unit that has a sluggish UI, no cd-text capability, limited playlist functionality, no real elegant way of installing it, and will disable your $2000 navi unless you also do the splicing and install a y-cable?

I'm thinking no thanks...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Racer

Actually, you have full control over everything if you use the ipod UI, and it works quite well. Not to mention it is the best and most cost effective solution at the moment. The install is much simpler than it sounds.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:19 PM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
Geeze...wire splicing, a y-harness, soldering, whatever....just to be able to play tunes on a unit that has a sluggish UI, no cd-text capability, limited playlist functionality, no real elegant way of installing it, and will disable your $2000 navi unless you also do the splicing and install a y-cable?

I'm thinking no thanks...
Well okay.. actually disabling your 2000 dollar navi is quite difficult unless you do something really stupid. And actually I think the ipod dension i link is a very elegant solution. Think of it this way. You have an ipod. You have it at home, and you sync up your collection. You bring it to your car, and you can run any of your playlists. You decide to go run and your ipod is in your car. No more hassle of burning cds, a not too bad install giving you are a little gutsy, and the opportunity to buy bigger and badder ipods as you see fit.

The effort is worth it. Especially when you have many people on this forum willing to help you.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Racer

ok it works. i spliced the extra harness into the icelink harness and held the wires together with wire twister tops (whatever theyre called). it worked, but then the wires came apart so i invested in a 7 dollar soldering gun and went to town. works great now. the sound is great. i put the cradle in the glove box and hend it to the bottom with one piece of mounting tape. i dont think ill drill it into any part of the car since this is working great. i didnt have to take a single tool out for the entire install.

and i can easily claim, as everyone else does, that the denison UI is slow and sucks balls. once switched to the ipod UI, its the same speed as usual.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's too bad I won't have time to complete this install before my 25 hour road trip next Friday
Old 05-08-2005, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

I hope to be getting the Y adapter tomorrow, so i'll let you guys know how that works. Has anybody else used that Y adapter?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Racer

Here's my question ... currently I have Sirius plugged into a Blitzafe Aux-Input adapter, and I want to keep that as well.

When I saw the pic of the earlier revision IceLink, I was happy to see it just plugged into the CD Changer port on the aux-input adapter and used regular RCA cables to connect, so I could just get a source switcher and toggle between iPod and Sirius.

But the new revision is just once piece, so I wouldn't be able to do that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the older revision that pluges into a seperate aux-input adapater, or if some other company makes one that does?

-vasu
Old 05-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Racer

Unhappy

alrighty... this is an update to my 'successful' install of the icelink plus for a navi tsx. lets just say i got done with a 2 hour round trip road trip, and before my garage door closed, i had ripped the icelink out of the car. i am returning it tommorow if its the last thing i do.

1. it is buggy. i had to pull over two times and turn the car off, and then turn it back on with the ipod out of the docking cradle so that the car recognizes it as a cd-changer. also, if i kept it in the cradle but was listening to the radio, then turned the car back on and tried to switch to the ipod, it wouldnt work without a restart of the engine.

AND

2. my navi voice was being tempermental. it worked on the way down but not on the way home. you could hear the radio mute, but then no voice came out. i checked the settings to see if maybe it was turned off but it wasnt, and it wouldnt work even if you hit the voice button to repeat the last command or if you asked it what time it was.

not to sound negative, but this whole process of integrating a 'simple to use' ipod into a navi tsx is more trouble then its worth and i dont have the time to deal with it anymore. im just going to return it, and go get myself an itrip. i could care less about the static, as long as i can hear the song in regular radio quality, not have to splice crap, not have to restart the car to listen to a song, or have my navi not work, ill be happy.

ill just wait until acura comes out with something someday or until cars have these things as standard equipt.

OH, and may i just throw this into the mix of complaints... the dension user interface blows goats... there is a 3 second dealy every time you press a button and the font is so small you might as well crash on purpose and just get it over with. who the hell looked over the UI and said 'this is great!'?

back to my final complaint... you cant access any playlists when using the apple UI. you have to either control it via the ipod, get an external remote, or access the songs via the 'All Songs' option.

one good thing about this whole piece of crap, is that it sounded good when you had the right song on. certain songs sounded a little low, but that was my own fault because i ripped them in regular aac, instead of a higher bit rate or lossless rate. the songs downloaded directly from itunes or ripped at apple-lossless, sounded just as crisp as the cd version i had in my changer. thats pretty much all i was impressed by.

i know other people have different opinions, but this is my experience and something i think navi owners should look out for. this icelink seems to be great for non-navi but theres too many annoyances with it...

Last edited by MoFocker; 05-08-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoFocker
alrighty... this is an update to my 'successful' install of the icelink plus for a navi tsx. lets just say i got done with a 2 hour round trip road trip, and before my garage door closed, i had ripped the icelink out of the car. i am returning it tommorow if its the last thing i do.

1. it is buggy. i had to pull over two times and turn the car off, and then turn it back on with the ipod out of the docking cradle so that the car recognizes it as a cd-changer. also, if i kept it in the cradle but was listening to the radio, then turned the car back on and tried to switch to the ipod, it wouldnt work without a restart of the engine.

AND

2. my navi voice was being tempermental. it worked on the way down but not on the way home. you could hear the radio mute, but then no voice came out. i checked the settings to see if maybe it was turned off but it wasnt, and it wouldnt work even if you hit the voice button to repeat the last command or if you asked it what time it was.

not to sound negative, but this whole process of integrating a 'simple to use' ipod into a navi tsx is more trouble then its worth and i dont have the time to deal with it anymore. im just going to return it, and go get myself an itrip. i could care less about the static, as long as i can hear the song in regular radio quality, not have to splice crap, not have to restart the car to listen to a song, or have my navi not work, ill be happy.

ill just wait until acura comes out with something someday or until cars have these things as standard equipt.

OH, and may i just throw this into the mix of complaints... the dension user interface blows goats... there is a 3 second dealy every time you press a button and the font is so small you might as well crash on purpose and just get it over with. who the hell looked over the UI and said 'this is great!'?

back to my final complaint... you cant access any playlists when using the apple UI. you have to either control it via the ipod, get an external remote, or access the songs via the 'All Songs' option.

one good thing about this whole piece of crap, is that it sounded good when you had the right song on. certain songs sounded a little low, but that was my own fault because i ripped them in regular aac, instead of a higher bit rate or lossless rate. the songs downloaded directly from itunes or ripped at apple-lossless, sounded just as crisp as the cd version i had in my changer. thats pretty much all i was impressed by.

i know other people have different opinions, but this is my experience and something i think navi owners should look out for. this icelink seems to be great for non-navi but theres too many annoyances with it...
There must have been some negative enhancements to the newer Ice-link as the older version that I have works great. I've had mine installed for over 4 months and still no problems with it recognizing the iPod or with interuptions with my Navi. The wiring must be different when modifying the Honda harness with this newer Ice-Link model.

Beware that you'll be disappointed with the sound quality in the iTrip. I have one to use in my wife's car as well as rental cars I use when out-of-town for work. It works but the static can be so bad that you may not want to use it as a daily option.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Racer

sigmachi96, is your 4 month old unit the one that uses 2 modules (aux input adapter and seperate ipod control module), or the single integrated unit?

-vasu
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by vasu
sigmachi96, is your 4 month old unit the one that uses 2 modules (aux input adapter and seperate ipod control module), or the single integrated unit?

-vasu
It uses 2 modules as seen in the pictures at the beginning of the thread. I suspect the wiring on the new Ice-Link has changed slightly so that the splicing of wires must be different on the newer Ice-Link.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

I have just researched the ice link but this blitzsafe will work as well right? Its plug and play? I have Xm and the navi, How do I disconnect the navi? Thanks guys.

Blitzsafe
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Racer

It will work as a simple auxillery input, but you won't have any control over the ipod itself with the TSX stereo or the ability to charge the ipod.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Racer

does anybody have any experience with that neo aux unit for the ipod? its at mp3yourcar.com. im sure a wire is needed to make it compatable with the navi (what else is new...).

oh and one more question. when i was doing my whole splicing and dicing, i messed up the Y harness that came with my blitzsafe. The branched off portion is fine to re-splice together, but the the blue wire on the long harness is too short (I didnt leave enough slack). Is there anything I can do to salvage this or a specific harness I can get from Honda? Im assuming no since this is the harness that theoretically goes from the blitzsafe adapter into the headunit...

anyone know if they make a set of rca or stereo cables to plug into the blitzsafe, that has a docking connection at the other end? ive searched high and low yesterday and today and im concluding that nothing like that is made...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
Followed the great instructions in the FAQ thread and the results turned out great! It took me about an hour since I took apart the center console to run the Icelink to the armrest.

I got a great deal from "genghis82" as he was selling his parts as he couldn't use them in his TL.

Enjoy the pictures...

Hey, i just noticed something... what is that cable you have plugged into the adapter next to the two rca cables? i have the same plug on my blitzafe but have no clue what goes in there?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:47 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

It the output to the Ice-Link. They all feed into the same wire that goes into the Ice-Link module.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Racer

oh ok i see it now. i guess thats one of the changes in the icelink plus is that its just one wire? would be super if it WORKED! argh!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Mine is the newer version (1 module) and I've had no problems with it. I determined what wires to splice based on the location. It's not too tough:

just pull the plug currently where the ice-link connector would fit into.
match the location on the plug those 3 wires are to the wires on the ice-link plug
- use the female end of hte accord harness
cut open the insulation on the ice-link plug
find the appropriate wires and take of the insulation from those
mate the right wires (twist the two together and if you want solder)
reinsulate the wires with electrical tape
plug the ends into the appropriate places in the car
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Racer

sigmachi96, is the 2 peice module that you have an icelink plus, or icelink 1.1? Also, what store did you get it from? Does the box look like the colorful ipod boxes used for the newer revisions IceLink Plus?

I'm trying to find the old 2 peice module so I can still use Sirius radio
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

sigmachi96, is the 2 peice module that you have an icelink plus, or icelink 1.1? Also, what store did you get it from? Does the box look like the colorful ipod boxes used for the newer revisions IceLink Plus?

I'm trying to find the old 2 peice module so I can still use Sirius radio
The module I have is the v1.1. I purchased it from another member who couldn't get it to work on his TL and I do not know where he originally bought it from.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Racer

sigmachi96, with the 1.1 version, when you've got the iPod docked ... does track name information display on the iPod itself?

I heard some weird Dension UI loads, but you can revert back to the iPod UI ... when you have the iPod UI running instead of the Dension one, do you lose steering-wheel/radio controls?

I'm going to get an iPod Photo, which displays album art as well, and I'd like that to show up and retain steering wheel controls...

I've gotten the vibe that to use the steering wheel controls, you lose the iPod UI, so I was just wondering about that.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

sigmachi96, with the 1.1 version, when you've got the iPod docked ... does track name information display on the iPod itself?

I heard some weird Dension UI loads, but you can revert back to the iPod UI ... when you have the iPod UI running instead of the Dension one, do you lose steering-wheel/radio controls?

I'm going to get an iPod Photo, which displays album art as well, and I'd like that to show up and retain steering wheel controls...

I've gotten the vibe that to use the steering wheel controls, you lose the iPod UI, so I was just wondering about that.
If you look at my original photos at the beginning of this thread, you will see that the iPod UI remains while docked and being used. I have full steering wheel controls (volume, track fwd/back).
Old 05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Racer

thanks! must find a v1.1 !@#
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Racer

I'm still confused why there are problems with the new module. I don't think the IceLink unit itself is any different... it just bypasses the auxillery input converter. Unless I am missing something...
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Racer

i just got off the phone with dension ... man their tech support people don't know english that well.

anyway, it seems that the their is a new icelink coming out by the end of the month (two weeks is what he said) taht'll allow up to 4 more aux devices to be plugged into the car.

I asked if it'd support Navi tsx's without a y adapter and that question seemed to break him. I told him that currently, a new cable needs to be spliced in to work with the Navi, and his response was "no splicing, it wont use that port" ... so obviously he just didn't know.

-vasu
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Racer

i just got off the phone with dension ... man their tech support people don't know english that well.

anyway, it seems that the their is a new icelink coming out by the end of the month (two weeks is what he said) taht'll allow up to 4 more aux devices to be plugged into the car.

I asked if it'd support Navi tsx's without a y adapter and that question seemed to break him. I told him that currently, a new cable needs to be spliced in to work with the Navi, and his response was "no splicing, it wont use that port" ... so obviously he just didn't know.

-vasu
i am really not bashing even though it sounds like i do alot, but the dension support staff are dumbasses. i have spoken to a few of them the past few months trying to research this icelink and i received more contradicting answers then you could imagine. ' its comming out next week, its comming out in 2 months, 2 weeks, its out already, it works with a navi, it doesnt work with a navi, whats a navi?'. its nuts! one guy had told me the same thing about the navi though, that 'you just need one cable and no splicing'. just shows they dont know what theyre really talking about i guess. maybe soon or one day theyll make a harness for navi models. its not like a gps is that rare of a commodity anymore...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverG35
I hope to be getting the Y adapter tomorrow, so i'll let you guys know how that works. Has anybody else used that Y adapter?
are you buying just the y adapter cable or the whole aux unit? i have my blitzsafe but now my y cable is ruined (cant splice it anymore) so i was going to maybe buy a new cable. do they sell them seperately anywhere?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:19 PM
10th Gear

Ok I finally installed the Y-cable made for accords with the new ice link and it works perfectly on my gf's 2005 TSX. The navi works fine and the XM radio still works too. When the Ipod isnt plugged in you can use the XM. Heres the link for where I purchased the cable
Y-Cable . I highly suggest this cable so you dont need to do any splicing at all. Also, thanks to vkewlara for the help and answering my questions.

Last edited by SilverG35; 05-10-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Racer

congrats on a successful install.

that harness in your link, for 30 bucks, is a premade y harness? so if i buy that, it will be ready to plug into the radio, accept the plug i removed, and plug into the blitzsafe?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MoFocker
congrats on a successful install.

that harness in your link, for 30 bucks, is a premade y harness? so if i buy that, it will be ready to plug into the radio, accept the plug i removed, and plug into the blitzsafe?
Yes its a premade Y harness, you plug the end into the headunit and on the Y you plug in the cable you unplugged from the head unit and the plug from your blitzsafe (assuming it is the same plug as the one that was plugged into the headunit)
Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Racer

anyone know if they make a cable that plugs into the blitzsafe audio input but has a dock connector on the other end? i would guess that something exists similar to a Monster Icable but with a dock connector instead of mini headphone jack... i cant find one though.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Racer

for anyone interested:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/...-adaptor-ipod/
Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Racer

im just taking OVER this thread arent I . i just found out they sell this cable at walmart for $22. seems like a great thing since i did like my ipod connected using just the blizsafe, but wasnt happy with the headphone jack sound using an icable...

im going to snatch one of these up tommorow and if someone can confirm that accord harness fitting into the blitsafe unit, ill go pick one of those up tommorow as well; and do a write up even though most of you know more about this then me.

thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Racer

http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/sto.../ipod_aux.html

like the Nyko cable, but also provides power to the ipod.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Racer

thanks. i think im gonna stick with the nyko one. anything that involves less wire work is right up my alley. i get about 12 hours on an ipod charge so battery charging isnt a big deal to me.

do you know if that honda y harness in the post above, would fit directly into the blitzsafe port? im going to stop by the dealer today to pick it up and i bought my adapter with me so i can test it in the car... if not i guess ill just see about ordering one from somewhere else.

does anybody know about that other ipod accessory... I forget the name of it but its basically an adapter that goes into the dock port, and you can stick a firewire or usb plug into it. i was too lazy last night to see if apple makes rca to firewire/usb plugs, but if they do it seems like thats another alternative? im sure theres some problem with doing that because im not usually one of the people who comes up with ideas that make sense...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 AM
10th Gear

I thought I would never have to post anymore posts regarding the ice link but from my experiences, this new version is a real POS! After I installed it and assumed that it was working successfully, it has been more tempremental than a girl on PMS. First it can no longer be controlled on the steering wheel and the Dension UI is no longer working. Second about 50% of the time it disables the navigation system. Me and my gf are so frustrated with this thing that im ripping it out of her car for the final time tomorrow to take it back to Best Buy. The main problem with the ice link I think is the new version of the software that enables the ipod to be controlled through the steering wheel. I think it causes a conflict with the navi and dension never thoroughly tested their product out before releasing it. If you try to purchase the Icelink with a navi, be warned.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 AM
8th Gear

I have a non nav tsx, does the icelink plus, work without any cutting of wires and harness etc. I am in canada and a friend is bringing one from BestBuy in the states for me this weekend so I was wondering if I should even open the box or not.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Racer

If you have a non-nav, it should just be plug and play. The reason navigation users are having issues is because the port that the Icelink plugs into, in where the navigation plugs into. So you either need a Y harness or do some splicing to get it all hooked up.

-vasu

Quick Reply: iPod IceLink connection with Navi