iPod IceLink connection with Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dailo
What is the problem with the blitzsafe adapter? I was gonna go purchase one from bestbuy this weekend? Should I wait?
I don't know the details off hand, but it has something to do with it not disabling itself when not in use, and thus interfering with the head unit. Perhaps someone else can provide a better explanation?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Racer

wait wait wait. i have the blitzsafe for navi and the reason im selling it is because i want an icelink and was told by dension (see past posts) that the new model they just released a week or two ago doesnt need any additional special wires for the navi... now im confused. btw i just saw on best buy.com that they have the icelink and the icruze so to add to my confusion, i dont know which one is better to get. but has anyone else bought one from bestbuy and have experience with it working with navi straight out of the box?

the dension guy also told me theres no external adapter like the older icelinks; its all built into the main module.

SO Confused. also i think i read somewhere on here that the new icelink displays some special screen on the navi? whats going on???
Old 04-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Racer

That's what I've heard as well, but I haven't heard any updates as to the availability of this new "navi friendly" IceLink. The models I saw at Best Buy were still called the IceLink Plus, so I figured they were no different than the previous models. Perhaps it has been updated?

BTW, this is what is listed on the Best Buy website: "Vehicles with navigation systems may require an additional kit for compatibility (not included)."
Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Instructor

I picked one up today, didn't even have a blitzsafe adapter. Its just an ice link adapter and that's it. Works fine on my 04 TSX w navi, except I need to buy the y cable. Right now my navi don't work, and no sound of my left speaker. I will need to get a converter soon, i hope no sound from the left speaker has something to do with the navi and not my ice link.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Racer

It doesn't have a SNHOND3 or Blitzsafe adapter? Would you mind taking a picture of everything included in the kit? If true, this appears to be an updated model, and I will got buy one right now.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 PM
10th Gear

The ice link looked like it worked fine but it disabled the navi and you couldnt use the touch screen. I will take pics of what is included in the kit later on. I think I might try that y adapter.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Do you get any sound from the left speaker? I don't seem to be getting any sound from the left speaker, of course I don't have the y adapter yet still need to order it. I already installed it but pretty much I think its the updated unit. Just the ice link addapter with a wire that plugs direclty into my HU and another wire to the cradle. No Blitzsafe adapter or anything like that attatched to it at all.

Originally Posted by SilverG35
The ice link looked like it worked fine but it disabled the navi and you couldnt use the touch screen. I will take pics of what is included in the kit later on. I think I might try that y adapter.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Racer

Is there a model and revision number on the unit?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Instructor

I20-HONDA-R is the model and I see version 2.2 on the unit.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Instructor

Well I've been toying around with the IceLink Plus for a little bit and it seems to be pretty good. Only thing I wish is that in the Ipod User interface changing cds would also change play list, seems like I can only change songs and stuff through the steering wheel. But in the Dension UI I can't control anything with the ipod controllers, so that kind of sucks. For now I'll be using the Ipod user interface to do everything. Other than that, I'm glad I bought it! Just need the 2 port harness now to complete my install.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Racer

Interesting indeed. It definitely sounds like an upgraded version, so hopefully the navi integration works much better than the previous splicing method. Unfortunately, the guy at Best Buy wouldn't open one of the boxes for me to see the unit, so I can't confirm anything. However, I am pretty sure the 2.2 revision is new.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Its actually 2.02 I made a typo. But I would think all the ones shipped out to best buy is the same unit. I'll let you know if the harness I got works!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Instructor

so where are you guys mounting the ipod? Are you using a cradle mounted up on the dash somewhere...or are you resting it in the tray inside the center console (imho--i would much prefer that)?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Racer

Once I get mine, I plan on mounting it with a Panavise mount near the CD storage tray.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Mine just sits in my storage bin.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:47 PM
10th Gear

I never hit play when I had it plugged in but it did power up and the screen was different on the ipod. When you have it plugged in right now, is your touch screen navi working? I ordered that two port harness as well, hopefully it works. Do you have xm on your TSX?

Originally Posted by dailo
Well I've been toying around with the IceLink Plus for a little bit and it seems to be pretty good. Only thing I wish is that in the Ipod User interface changing cds would also change play list, seems like I can only change songs and stuff through the steering wheel. But in the Dension UI I can't control anything with the ipod controllers, so that kind of sucks. For now I'll be using the Ipod user interface to do everything. Other than that, I'm glad I bought it! Just need the 2 port harness now to complete my install.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Yeah my navi isn't working either is my left speaker. I do not have XM on my TSX. Can't wait to get it working!!
Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Life's a beach

I just read a Maximum PC Magazine roundup of ipod controllers. They gave a $1600 Clarion touchscreen system the top rating,, but the Icelink got a 4-star rating. Their one complaint, though, bothered me. They said the controls are sluggish with an iPod Photo (as opposed to regular iPod I guess). Anyone actually experience this?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
I just read a Maximum PC Magazine roundup of ipod controllers. They gave a $1600 Clarion touchscreen system the top rating,, but the Icelink got a 4-star rating. Their one complaint, though, bothered me. They said the controls are sluggish with an iPod Photo (as opposed to regular iPod I guess). Anyone actually experience this?
The dension UI is pretty slow, you're pretty limitted to the playlists you've made, the screen is not easily readable, the buttons on the ipod itself don't work, amongst other complaints about the UI. Now if you switch back to the ipod UI it works just as fast as you can hit the track change buttons, unfortunately you're limitted to those controls from the stereo itself.

For anybody hoping to get track/artist names on the nav system, you're out of luck atleast on the 2004, but I seriously doubt that's changed on the 2005, since as far as I know the ice-link works off of cd-text, which the TSX doesn't support.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Racer

Not necessarily... it appears as though Alpine is making a unit that will work with the navi screen. Of course, Alpine is the maker of the Honda/Acura navi, so they have a bit of an advantage in that arena.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Racer

Any update on the Ice-Link install with y-harness? I will be taking a cross-country drive in two weeks, and would like to have one installed before then if they do indeed work correctly with the navi. Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Instructor

The harness is waiting for me at home. I won't be back until friday night/saturday so I'll have to post back my results then.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

So the icelink saga continues..my gf got a loaner TSX w/o navi from the dealership because her windows would not roll back up. So I figure the ice link should work fine since it has no navi, except the music only comes out of the right speaker? Does it have to do with the XM? im assuming that the xm is automatically disabled when you plug in the ice link, since the Xm wont work with the Ice link plugged in. I think we are just going to return it because this thing has nothing but problems and if it wont work right in a TSX w/o a navi, im assuming it wont work either when I get the Y cable that we already ordered.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Racer

I may be mistaken, but in order to use the IceLink, don't you have to unplug the XM input? Perhaps you could post pictures of the new IceLink unit that you have, since it is considerably different than the one we are used to advising about.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
10th Gear

here are the pics..

Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Racer

Oh wow... it has gotten much smaller, and I presume it completely elmininates the need for any external auxillery input converter. If that's the case, the final wire (white connector) should just plug directly into the back of the head unit. I assume that is what you did, so if that is the case, perhaps you have a bad unit. Did you have to unplug anything, or was the port open on the back of the HU?

Thanks for the pics... it makes much more sense now, after reading through the other posts.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by daniel1113
Oh wow... it has gotten much smaller, and I presume it completely elmininates the need for any external auxillery input converter. If that's the case, the final wire (white connector) should just plug directly into the back of the head unit. I assume that is what you did, so if that is the case, perhaps you have a bad unit. Did you have to unplug anything, or was the port open on the back of the HU?

Thanks for the pics... it makes much more sense now, after reading through the other posts.
The white connector plugs underneath the headunit, i unplugged the one pictured below and plugged the dension in its place. I am starting to think that you might need a y-adapter regardless if you have a navi or not. Does anybody know where I can get the old dension unit, similar to what was originally posted on this thread?

Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Racer

ugh! can someone help.

i just got the icelink plus from best buy. i have a navi tsx and this is what i did. i unplugged the white plug under the radio and plugged the icelink white plug in its place. the unit powers up, but i cant press OK on the navi or use any of the controls...

i have a blitzsafe sitting here for a navi (with the Y cable) but i dont see how this would integrate into the icelink? i assumed one of the plugs on the y cable would go into the icelink unit first, but it doesnt fit into the socket... help!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Racer

ok i gave up, its impossible. none of the plugs are able to fit where they need too. i think dension changed the plug that goes into the actual icelink to a smaller size. the only way i can see it working is to splice the wires on the new smaller plug, with the Y cable i have from the blitzsafe; but theres no way im attempting that. i guess ill just return the unit until something easier comes out? unless of course someone has a miracle solution by 8pm tommorow
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Racer

First, you don't need the Blitzsafe adapter anymore. Dension has changed the IceLink design to eleminate the need for any other auxillery input converters.

Second, the reason your nav froze up was because you unplugged it from the head unit when you installed the IceLink. To use both, you need some sort of Y-adapter. I'm guessing that the standard Accord harness that has been discussed many times before should suffice, but it's hard to tell without having the unit in front of me.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:18 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoFocker
ok i gave up, its impossible. none of the plugs are able to fit where they need too. i think dension changed the plug that goes into the actual icelink to a smaller size. the only way i can see it working is to splice the wires on the new smaller plug, with the Y cable i have from the blitzsafe; but theres no way im attempting that. i guess ill just return the unit until something easier comes out? unless of course someone has a miracle solution by 8pm tommorow

You need a modified Honda harness...

Modified Honda Harness/Accord (P/N 08A31-0E1-010)
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
You need a modified Honda harness...

Modified Honda Harness/Accord (P/N 08A31-0E1-010)
Yep. I assume it will be the same procedure for the new IceLink, except the wire being spliced will come from the IceLink rather than the auxillery adapter.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daniel1113
Yep. I assume it will be the same procedure for the new IceLink, except the wire being spliced will come from the IceLink rather than the auxillery adapter.
My thoughts exactly. Before making any cuts I would validate that the wiring is the same on the new Icelink.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Racer

thanks for the replies guys. im not a good explainer, but what you all said is what i had meant.

i didnt try to use the blitzsafe, instead i tried using the Y cable that came with the blitsafe for my navi. the problem is that the plug (one on the far right in those picts) that is supposed to go into the icelink module, doesnt fit; its bigger then the plug/outlet. the splicing i was talking of was that in order for it to fit, im guessing you would need to cut that far right plug on the Y harness in the photo (and on mine) off, and then splice it with the smaller plug harness used to fit the icelinks socket.

it makes sense to me, but let me know if i confused anyone more ...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Racer

oh and this is so off topic, well not really, but it has been lingering in my mind for awhile now.

the y cable for the navi that comes with the blitzsafe or that people make themselves has a wire that says dash illumination written on it. is there any way to reseach if all the people having their center dash lights go out, have this unit installed? it doesnt seem like its too far-out of an assumption, but it got me thinking...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Advanced

It's amazing how few people actually read the earlier posts. I already bought the new ice-link from best buy and spliced in the accord harness cable:

Accord grey wire to ice-link green wire
Accord orange wire to ice-link yellow wire
Accord metal shielding to ice-link bare wire.

check out post #30. The dash lights did not go out.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Racer

i knwo this is going to come off as rude, and i dont mean to be at all. i dont think your understanding me.

i have this cable already, the Y cable made for the navi. its the cable that came with my blitzsafe for navi. now if you look at photo #4 in your tutorial, the plug at the end (far right) is the part that goes into the ice link / adapter / whatever. well it doesnt fit into the icelink plus; its too big. if it would fit, it would be a perfect solution; at least in my scenario.

the reason i purchased a pre made spliced cable is so i didnt have to do any splicing and what im trying to figure out is why my Y cable doesnt fit into the new icelink and if i need to cut the icelink plus plug (black one) off and attach it in place of the white plug on my Y cable that technically would have went into the blitzsafe module...

What im guessing through trial and error at this point, is that my Y cable is just not going to work, and that I need to cut off the female harness that was spliced into the cable and re-splice that onto the cable that came with the icelink. it just sucks that the plugs dont fit, unless im doing something wrong.

do they sell these plugs in the store? ie: can i go buy an adapter that will accept a larger plug and then the other end will be accepted into the smaller outlet on the icelink?

this whole process is SO annoying, im about to just throw the whole thing out the window and just drive with my headphones on...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Racer

yeah its me again with a dumb question.

if i grow some balls and decide to attempt this splicing tonight, what do you recommend is the best way to connect the wires? should i just use the twist-tops for them, or twist them and cover with electric tape? im not sure if one way is better then the other and only ask because i hear horror stories about people frying their wires over such little things.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Advanced

I was just skipping the obvious: it's not going to work.

Dension changed the cable. You could cut off the female adapter from the pre-spliced cable you have and splice that onto the new ice-link. just twist the wires from the female adapter onto the wires from the ice-link's cable ( but don't cut those wires). Then wrap them with electrical tape. I soldered the wires together just to make sure.

Or you don't have "grow some balls" and just order this:
http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/...4_127_5510.php
As far as earlier posts have said it's a premade, snap on splitter.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vkewalra
I was just skipping the obvious: it's not going to work.

Dension changed the cable. You could cut off the female adapter from the pre-spliced cable you have and splice that onto the new ice-link. just twist the wires from the female adapter onto the wires from the ice-link's cable ( but don't cut those wires). Then wrap them with electrical tape. I soldered the wires together just to make sure.

Or you don't have "grow some balls" and just order this:
http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/...4_127_5510.php
As far as earlier posts have said it's a premade, snap on splitter.
hey quick question... im trying to splice the wires now and the colors dont match up, but the pins/slots do. is it ok to splice the three wires together based on location (match them up), or do the wires HAVE to be the same color? the harness from the blitzsafe is color matched to the Y section that its spliced too...

Quick Reply: iPod IceLink connection with Navi