Install complete...(pics of install and finished product)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saltyone,
I have a couple questions about your stereo install. I noticed that you do not have Amps that are listed as having Ballanced Differential Inputs. Since your three.1 takes them in, do they convert them or somehow allow them to go into those ALpine Amps of yours? I am looking at getting some ALpine V POwer Amps (becuase of cost) but i am worried about the inputs. I will get a three.1 as well. I am looking at the smae set up as yours just different AMP and components. I am also going to get the same sub. I like the small enclosure it uses.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by harg311
saltyone,
I have a couple questions about your stereo install. I noticed that you do not have Amps that are listed as having Ballanced Differential Inputs. Since your three.1 takes them in, do they convert them or somehow allow them to go into those ALpine Amps of yours? I am looking at getting some ALpine V POwer Amps (becuase of cost) but i am worried about the inputs. I will get a three.1 as well. I am looking at the smae set up as yours just different AMP and components. I am also going to get the same sub. I like the small enclosure it uses.

The "Four.1i" does switch the balanced signal to unbalanced. If I ever changed over to something like the JL amps (why I would want to is beyond me...these Alpines are doing a great job!), I could switch the output on the EQ to balanced. I was worried about the output capacity of the Type R sub. I wasn't sure if it could keep up with my components. I had no reason to worry. I would estimate that I'm hitting somewhere around 135db with, to my ears, perfectly clean bass. I haven't opened her up yet. The gain on the EQ is still positioned center mass. This sub will freaking get low. Overall, I love it. I will be adding an aftermarket head unit soon though. I believe it will give me an even cleaner signal. I'm thinking about the Alpine W205 with navi. Good luck with your install.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

Heat

Originally Posted by saltyone
The "Four.1i" does switch the balanced signal to unbalanced. If I ever changed over to something like the JL amps (why I would want to is beyond me...these Alpines are doing a great job!), I could switch the output on the EQ to balanced. I was worried about the output capacity of the Type R sub. I wasn't sure if it could keep up with my components. I had no reason to worry. I would estimate that I'm hitting somewhere around 135db with, to my ears, perfectly clean bass. I haven't opened her up yet. The gain on the EQ is still positioned center mass. This sub will freaking get low. Overall, I love it. I will be adding an aftermarket head unit soon though. I believe it will give me an even cleaner signal. I'm thinking about the Alpine W205 with navi. Good luck with your install.
That is great news. I have 3 Rockford Fosgate Power and Punch AMPS. I may just use those until i can get the Alpines. Knowing all that i need is the "four.1i" to convert the signal, i can save a little money maybe. Then again, new car i should get new amps too right? My mono amp is only 300 Watts though so may be underpowered. Decisions..decisions!!

Anyways, the other question i had was do you have heat problems with the amps mounted between the seat and enclosure like that or are there fans that circulate the air to the amps? Seams like they are crammed into a small area. I was thinking about putting a couple small fans to keep air moving across them.

Again, thanks for the info. Really helped me out. I like the clean install you have and all the trunk space still. Need room for my golf clubs. I dont usually like to copy others designs but i may have to in this case. Now i just need to get a hold of mercman for that cable. I may just attempt to make my own. I am pretty handy with the tools myself.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM

damn, very slick setup!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I can't find my garage

mad props.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

I Love how detailed you have everything. With Pics it really helps others. I am currently installing 2 9.2" TFT LCD TV's. I wish I had the time and patience to take pics.

Thanks and Mad Props on Your Install.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
noclownn

That is sick!

That is an awesome install. Do you have a schematic or exact dimensions of that box for the amp and sub that is exactly what I am looking for?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by saltyone
Overall, I love it. I will be adding an aftermarket head unit soon though. I believe it will give me an even cleaner signal. I'm thinking about the Alpine W205 with navi. Good luck with your install.
in the quest for a better sounding system the installer i am speaking with is suggesting this piece of equipment

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PXA-H701

which can be tuned using this

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=RUX-C701

the end result should be a sound system that has more tuning options than most aftermarket headunits.

thoughts?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
man that amp rack is clean...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by jiggaman
in the quest for a better sounding system the installer i am speaking with is suggesting this piece of equipment

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PXA-H701

which can be tuned using this

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=RUX-C701

the end result should be a sound system that has more tuning options than most aftermarket headunits.

thoughts?

I like it also. It's main purpose is 5.1 processing with extensive sound processing. If you're changing the HU, which I'm doing soon, you'll have no problems. If not, you'll still need something to convert the signal from the stock HU. The 701 is made to accept unbalanced signals.

Everyone I've talked to that has one loves it. If you go with certain model Alpine HU's, you wouldn't need the stand alone controller...however, if the dimensions are correct, the controller would look very sweet mounted in the compartment above the "not an ashtray".
Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Real nice good job.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow very nice and clean. did you use the stock tweeter locations for your tweeters?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by zidenx
wow very nice and clean. did you use the stock tweeter locations for your tweeters?

Yep..... for now. I want to fiberglass the doors, add a separate set of components, and run a dedicated mid-bass. With the second set of tweets in the doors, I would keep the first set in the factory location to bring up the staging just a bit. I'll post some new pics soon....the new head unit will be going in very soon also.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:48 AM
I can't find my garage

nice set up
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
SNAFU

How's it going guys? Football's over, and sadly, so is basketball now....so nothing else to do but hang out and talk car audio again.

Any new systems out there worth looking at?

We're doing the custom dash in about a week. Installing Alpine touchscreen. I'm very tempted to change over to the new JL amps, and a single W6.....it's hard to resist.

Anyway, wassup?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice setup man... I thought the PDX amps had balanced inputs, I'm thinking of getting the 150.4 and using that without any active EQ, direct connection from HU to amp, I also have mercman's harness running it off the factory HU, bypassing the factory amp
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by duce2k
I thought the PDX amps had balanced inputs,

The Audiocontrol four.1 switches the signal from unbalanced to balanced before upping the signal voltage, and sending it to the amps.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that is one extremely clean setup, love the sub box and the amp rack

I hope to be able to do something like that sometime soon!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
SNAFU

Actually, I should have said "...switches the signal from balanced to unbalanced...", but I guess you knew what I meant.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
very nice. Im planning on doing a similar set-up soon. Does your car feel a lot heavier with everything in?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by eleventure
very nice. Im planning on doing a similar set-up soon. Does your car feel a lot heavier with everything in?

It does, but you get used to it. Everything felt a little different....acceleration, steering,...
Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Saltyone, I noticed that the Audio control only takes one pair of inputs, did you just run the rear harness inputs directly to the mono amp, or did you just use the one set of inputs into the Audio control and then split the output front and rear from the output side?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM
SNAFU

I hope everyone is doing well. It's been a while...

Time for an upgrade folks. After many months of trying to decide what would make the most noticeable improvement on SQ in the car, I have decided on the Audiocontrol DQL-8.

Features

Equalizer: Each of the line outputs (front, rear, and subwoofer) has its own graphic equalizer. In each band, both channels (left and right) can be adjusted simultaneously or individually. Each line output also has two programmable parametric EQ bands with adjustable width (1/12, 1/6, 1/3, 1/2, 1, 2, or 3 octave). The adjustment range is +/-12 dB in 1 dB increments.

Front: The front graphic EQ has 30 bands from 25 Hz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps. There are 59 bands from 25 Hz to 20 kHz for the two parametric EQ bands.
Rear: The rear graphic EQ has 19 bands from 31.5 Hz to 16 kHz in 1/2 octave steps. There are 59 bands from 25 Hz to 20 kHz for the two parametric EQ bands.
Subwoofer: The subwoofer graphic EQ has 14 bands from 25 Hz to 500 Hz in 1/3 octave steps. There are 33 bands from 25 Hz to 1 kHz for the two parametric EQ bands.

User Memory: There are eight memory presets to save equalizer curves, four for the main inputs and four for the auxiliary input. The memory is non-volatile, so it isn't lost if the battery is disconnected or runs dead.

Crossover: Crossover points for the front, rear, and subwoofer outputs are set independently. The front and rear high-pass crossovers offer 108 frequency options from 15 Hz to 8 kHz; the low-pass sub crossover offers 54 frequency options from 48 Hz to 1 kHz. The slope of all three crossovers is 24 dB/octave.

Subsonic Filter: The subsonic filter crossover point is adjustable; there are 24 frequency options from 15 Hz to 56 Hz. The crossover slope is 24 dB/octave.

Speaker Input: The speaker level inputs are compatible with nearly any factory stereo system, even most Bose systems. There are 4 pair of inputs that will accommodate up to 400 watts.

Channel Summing: The DQL-8 has the ability to sum together multiple input channels (4, 6, or 8) from the factory source unit into 2 channels. This is handy when the factory system has multiple, actively crossed-over signals sent from the source unit or amplifier(s). For example, in some vehicles there is an actively crossed-over tweeter, midrange, and woofer all in the front of the vehicle. The DQL-8 lets you take all of those signals and sum them together to get a high-quality, full-range, pre-amp signal without the use of any additional cables or hardware.

AutoMode Inputs: When there is no signal present at the channel 4 input, the channel 3 input automatically feeds the channel 3 and channel 4 outputs.

Auxiliary Input: There is a pair of RCA auxiliary input jacks on the unit so you can easily add an iPod, satellite radio, or other secondary source. The aux input is engaged by pressing the knob on the wired remote.

Balanced Input: Using the balanced differential input circuit on the auxiliary input cancels noise picked up in the transmission line between the DQL-8 and the source unit. The input can be set to balanced or unbalanced if needed.

Input Gain: The input gains for the 4 pair of speaker inputs and the auxiliary input are set independently. You can boost or cut the signal to match the source output to the DQL-8 input.

Output Level: The adjustable output levels allow you to increase the head unit's line voltage to the top of your amp's input range; up to 7.5 volts RMS. The output level is adjusted independently for each of the 3 pair of line outputs.

Auto Turn-on: The main speaker level input has a signal sensing circuit; the unit turns on when there's a speaker level input signal and turns off when the signal disappears.

Remote Output: The +12 volt DC remote output will trigger an amp to turn on whenever the DQL-8 is on. The remote's maximum current output is 1 amp.

Remote: The included wired remote controls either the subwoofer output level or the master volume of the entire system; which one is selected in the menu. The remote is designed to be dash mounted, within reach of the driver; it can be mounted under the dash with the supplied bracket, or the bracket can be removed and the knob and LED can be custom mounted through the dash. Pressing the knob engages the auxiliary input.

DDC Input: A wired Digital Dash Control (item number 161DDC) can be added to the DQL-8, giving you remote control of all the menu functions.

Ground Isolation: The power supply ground is switchable, in case of ground loop noise. The factory position is fully isolated (typically the best choice), but can be changed to Ground or 200Ω.

Terminal Blocks: The power/ground/remote in/remote out terminal and the speaker level input terminals are removable; the wiring is attached to the terminal block, then the block is plugged into the DQL-8. The terminal blocks will accommodate wire up to 12 gauge.

Specifications:
Maximum Speaker Level Input: 400 watts @ 4Ω
Maximum Output Voltage: 7.5 volts RMS
Frequency response: 10Hz-22kHz
THD: 0.01%
S/N Ratio: 105 dB
Balanced Input (aux) Noise Rejection: 60 dB
Input Impedance: 20 kΩ
Output Impedance: 150 Ω
Crossover Slope: 24 dB/octave
Subsonic Filter Slope: 24 dB/octave
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5247...rocessing.html

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/...ql8/index.html

We test fit the DDC in the flip down sun glass holder...it fit perfect and that will be it's new home. The Subwoofer/Mst Level knob will go down by the VSA button. The DQL-8 itself will go in the trunk on the right side flush mounted.

Install starts tomorrow. I'll post some feedback and pictures as soon as I have a chance.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM
SNAFU

Complete review by caraudio and electronics...

The equalization capabilities of this unit are probably the most advanced I have ever had the pleasure to use, and that includes the company of some pretty esoteric pieces used in the professional sound industry.

The power of this EQ as a tuning tool is compounded by the fact that you have the ability to tune each channel individually or as stereo pairs. You also can select the "Q" or bandwidth of the EQ filtering, from as fine as 1/12 of an octave to as wide as three octaves! You could choose to use the parametric EQ to make overall adjustments, and then use the main EQ to make individual channel adjustments that will then be overlaid on the previous settings. With the EQ, and the two parametric EQs, it's possible to make large corrections, and then make fine tuning adjustments even within those large corrections. Read that again. Think of it as having three separate and slightly different EQs connected in series, where you can adjust boost and cut, frequency, and filter Q and the end result is the cumulative response of your adjustments on all three. The DQL-8 allows you to not only EQ the system, but it allows you to make almost infinite adjustments on top of your previous adjustments! My son put it like this: "You can EQ the EQ that you've already EQ'd!" Have a look at the graphs for an example. There was a time when most of us thought a 1/3 octave EQ for each channel was plenty, but after you use this thing once, you'll be spoiled for life.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/...ql8/index.html
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
10th Gear

Very nice setup! I sent you a PM salty
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Registered TSXer

thats an awesome setup!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll take your old one if you're selling.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

really nice set up how much did it cost your?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Just happened to be lurking on the site and saw the new posts salty, so will you be selling the Four.1, if so I'm interested. I definitely need more sq and with no signal processing running between the OEM hu and the amps I need it.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but this is one of the cleanest installs I've seen on here, nice work
Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 PM
9th Gear

Very nice and clean install man. 10/10
Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
w202 on carlssons

super sick
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
SNAFU

Install of the DQL-8 is complete. Words can not describe how nice this processor is! Install took a week. My installer estimates close to a 3db increase on the subwoofer alone. The amount of tweaking that can be done is nothing short of amazing. The overall "depth" of the music is incredible. I highly recommend this product to anyone interested in keeping the stock HU.

The digital camera isn't working right now. I'll borrow one tomorrow and post the pictures of the install by tomorrow night.

I am selling the Audiocontrol four.1 and mercman harness...Someone has already offered to buy it and I've given him until Tuesday to get back with me. If I do not hear from him, I'll let you know.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM
SNAFU

Alright...took some pictures with the blackberry. Sorry about the quality.

Master Vol/Subwoofer Level control knob and source light...

Remote mounted in the flip down sunglasses tray. Tray still operates normally. Fit was perfect...

DQL-8 Mounted in the trunk...

Ipod cable mounted in storage compartment...

Another shot of the trunk...

Close up of the remote...

Again, I can not stress enough how much of an improvement this device has made for sound quality. I now have complete control of the entire system. At $1250 including labor, I consider it money well spent.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM
SNAFU

System Diagram...

The DQL-8...

Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

good looking setup!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by SandstormGT
good looking setup!
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,534 Posts
any pictures of how your power wire for your amps is run cause I am trying to figure out how I am going to run my power wire which is 0 gauge.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Nice clean install man!!!!

Quick Reply: Install complete...(pics of install and finished product)