ID MAX on it's way

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID MAX on it's way

Well, after popping my two IDQ 12s, I decided to upgrade to a single ID MAX 12. I should have it in a few days.

Looks like it's time to warm up my table saw for some box building!

My project list is a beyotch right now:

1) Install Alpine ERE-G180 in place of the AudioControl THREE.1 that was previously there
2) Cut front doors and build spacers to fit Image Dynamics 6.5 chameleon mids in place of the Image Dynamics 5.25 mids currently residing there
3) Build a box and install the 12" ID MAX sub that's on it's way

PLUS, I have to help a buddy of mine install a system in his truck and his daughter's car.

My point is to check my mods page over the next couple of weeks when you get a chance. I just purchased a new digital camera (Canon Powershot A70) and will try to document as much as possible so it may help you with your upgrades.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now that is what i am talking about... so what amp are you gonna use..
Old 05-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to see pics.

I am getting ready to install a pair of ID 12's myself. I am also going to replace my Alpine 7893 with an Indash screen from Alpine. Not sure which one yet. I have even been toying with getting rid of the 5 1/4" Chameleons and getting some 6 1/2" of something. The Diamond s600's look really good.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Racer

The amp is the infamous JBL BP1200.1

I thought the original dual 12" IDQs would spread the love and take the ~700W RMS. WRONG. Both were dead within 2 weeks.

I just purchased the 12" IDMAX V.3 D2 sub. I'm going to present a 4 ohm mono load to the ID and see how it sounds getting ~650W. If I get cranky, I'll go ahead and present a 1 ohm load to get the full 1200W capability. I'm guessing that I won't get cranky. I can't imagine needing more that the 4 ohm output of the amp.

I also have a set of IDQ 10s that I'm going to mount in an isobaric configuration in a "deathbox" (www.decware.com)

I'm just curious to see how they'll sound in it. Hell, I have them sitting around and can't use them, I might as well play with them. MDF is cheap.

There will be many pictures once I finally get the chance to get started.

Step 1 will be building the ID MAX box. Step 2 will be mounting the new Alpine EQ. Step 3 will be breaking out the jigsaw to mount the 6.5 mids. (You truly have to see these mids to believe how huge they are!!!)

Watch my mods page. I plan to document all of it. I'd like to think that my screwups might help the next guy do it right the first time!!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Advanced

I feel your pain. I am still preparing to put my system from the Accord in the TL. I have made the mdf spacers and the front doors are going to be tight. The FNQ 6.5s stick out 2" with the 3/4inch spacer. I hope the mat around the hole will bring the total depth out to just under 2 closer to 1.75, The 5.25 don't look like they'll be a problem. I'll still have to cut all four doors. I bought a bunch of heavy square magnets that I am going to stick arounbd the hole while I am cutting with the dremel. I hope it will catch most of the metal filings. If not a have a telescoping magnet I can fish around in the door with to get the rest. What kind of screws should I mount the speaker with? Self tapping sheetmetal screws? I was thinking about buying the plastics things like the stovk speakers screw into but don't think it will make a difference. The rear doors should be able to re-use the factory holes.

The Rockford PA2 just came in today and I fabricated brackets out of Aluminum to attach to to the bottom of my HU so it will look like one unit. I bought the burlwood abs from selectproducts and am making a faceplate like 2002acuraTL's. The match is exact to the side rails. I was thinking about making the face with an aluminum sheet that mathed the shift plate but it was no as easy to work with.

I'm still looking for ideas to mount the 3 amps and have the 2 twelves and still be able to use my trunk and spare. I want to do something like you have. What are the dimensions of the amp rack you built? How did you mount it, Screw it into the back of the seat frame? For me to be able to fit my 2x 500bd and 400.4 I need 29" x 14". That would put them all vertical and and snuggly fit up against each other. It should look pretty sweet except no one will see it because my box will be infront of it. I'd rather look at the pair of Aluminum Eclipse 12's though. I figure I can put the cap on the otherside of the rack and it will show through the ski hole if I opened it up. I'd like to build a wall too and just show the subs but I don't want the sound to get blocked from makig it threw the subhole in the back dash.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I venture into this next week would be appreciated. I took the week out of work so I can take my time and do it right. I have over 150sq ft of mat to lay in the process My 180amp alternator is in the mail so I'll have plenty of juice for the amps. 85amps at 800 and 180 at 1800 for $199 lifetime waranty. Its a direct fit and you don't have to mail yours in to get reworked.
http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/sto...putalternators
Old 05-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is one of my dream woofers. I love the IDMAX only wish I had a amp to power one of them.