Icelink Plus Mini-Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Snow Trooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icelink Plus Mini-Review

Well, I got my icelink plus today, and have it installed. I managed to get it installed and mounted in about 45 minutes. Most of my time was spent trying to get the screws for the panavise mount installed. Anyways onto the goods...

I installed the icelink on a non-nav, so I do not have an answer to the burning question of whether or not ID3 tags are displayed on the screen. What I can comment on though, is the software. The icelink plus has the option of using it's own software to interface with the ipod and an option to use the ipod's native interface. I've found that Dension's interface is really clunky and incredibly slow. The TSX's CD controls are used to navigate the menu. Basically forward and backwards are used to move up and down the menu, while FF and RW are used to move forward and backwards through the options. I can see how this would be a pretty simple thing to use if there were separate buttons for FF and RW on the stereo, but in the TSX's case... it is not a simple thing. Having to hold down the FF and RW buttons causes some options to scroll through two or three options. Often, it is an issue of timing and luck to select the option that you want. I was hoping that the icelink would make use of some of the alternate commands on the 1-6 disc buttons but this wasn't the case. The only buttons that seem to do anything with the icelink are the forward and back track buttons (used to select tracks and select options while held down), the disc selection buttons (used to scroll through play lists, or select the config menu when the 6th disc is selected), and the random track button.

I found Dension's "improvements" in functionality to be a lesson in frustration. I ended up setting up the lcelink to access the iPod's native UI, which turned out to be much easier for executing tasks more complex than switching tracks. So my verdict... the "PLUS" is more frustrating than a feature. Maybe Dension can release a software update that will make the icelink's UI more friendly with the TSX in the future. Till then, the plus doesn't seem like a real improvement over the previous version.

If anyone has any questions or theories on how to use the system better... feel free to ask and I'll be glad to test it out.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Nice writeup, thanks!

I'd forward that to Dension too... they may make you a beta tester for SW upgrades...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Snow Trooper

Hmm yeah I was thinking about that. I think my overall feeling is that it's not worth the upgrade over a regular icelink. I absolutely love being able to control my ipod with the steering wheel controls, but the new features don't really seem too worthwhile.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:45 PM
honk not beep

in the new icelink, a couple of questions..

a) if you are at the end of a playlist and you press next on your steering wheel, does it go back to the playlist menu or go to the next playlist?

b) how well does the playlist traversal work? They said if you use the next button on the cd-changer you can go forward to the next list.

c) if you are on the last playlist and press the 'next' button on the cd changer, does it cycle to the first playlist or go back to the menu?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
At what step do you choose to set up the interface? I have the ICE-link too but have yet to attach. Where did you put your iPod connection? I just opted for the regular cable and want to run it up to the center console glove box. Did you have difficulty removing the console trim? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Couple of questions on the Ice-Link - I already have the SNHOND3 adapter hooked up and am currently listening to my iPod through that. With already having the adapter, can that be utilized to connect to the Ice-Link? Basically, what are the actual connections from the non-nav stereo, ultimately to the iPod.

And also, how did you mount the iPod? I didn't see a TSX proclip mount on the site?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Snow Trooper

Palidanx:
a) I'm not too sure about the playlists since I don't really use them, yet. I basically just put my iPod on random and listen to all of my songs.
b) The playlists are scrolled with the Disc +/- controls. (buttons 5 and 6). It seems to have a bit of a delay when you push the button. It usually switches like 1-2 seconds after the CD Changer display changes disc numbers.
c) Once again, my use of playlists isn't very extensive so I can't really answer this question at the moment. Maybe I'll make a few dummy playlists and try this out in a few days when I have some time.

Miner:

The interface comes on by default. In the icelink UI you have the option to switch back over to the standard iPod interface. I put my connection on my center console next to the big cubby hole. I'll try to post some pics up tomorrow when I have some time. The cubby in the console came out pretty easily. I just pulled out the mat in there and gave it a good tug and it popped right out. The trick is to use the door to give yourself something to hold onto and pull. Just don't pull TOO hard or else it might break.

beldredge:

yes the icelink plugs into the SNHOND. It has the RCA cables comming out of it as well as a plug that goes into the PS2-looking plug, that's probably to send commands back and forth between the icelink and the icelink unit. Basically it runs like this..

SNHOND3 -> Icelink cables -> Icelink unit -> iPod interface connector.

I used the panavise clip... I personally think it looks much better than the proclip since there isn't that ugly mount that runs along the side of the console. The panavise flows with the car much better. Once again, I'll post up some pictures when I have some time... hopefully I can get to it tomorrow.

I hope that answers everybody's questions for now.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

tnguyen - thanks for the quick response!

Do you have a GFI in there somewhere, or does the Ice-Link somehow eliminate the need for that? Right now, like a lot of others, I have the SNHOND unit connected to a GFI from radio shack, and then to RCA outputs mounted in my console. I'd love to eliminate the GFI so I don't have so much stuck there under the radio.

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

The interface comes on by default. In the icelink UI you have the option to switch back over to the standard iPod interface. I put my connection on my center console next to the big cubby hole. I'll try to post some pics up tomorrow when I have some time. The cubby in the console came out pretty easily. I just pulled out the mat in there and gave it a good tug and it popped right out. The trick is to use the door to give yourself something to hold onto and pull. Just don't pull TOO hard or else it might break.

Thanks for the reply. By cubby hole do you mean the storage bin (pocket) under the HU? If so, did you drill a hole in back of the pocket to run you cable through?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Safety Car

I too have reset y UI to the iPod. The Dension UI was not what i expected but I am impressed with the sound quality. How did you get your Random button to work & what does it do?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

For the current IceLink Plus for the Dension website, do you need to purchase the SNHOND3 adapter, or does Dension include a connector that can plug directly to the HU for a Non-navi 04 TSX?

Last edited by normo; 03-07-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by normo
For the current IceLink Plus for the Dension website, do you need to purchase the SNHOND3 adapter, or does Dension include a connector that can plug directly to the HU for a Non-navi 04 TSX?
The adapter comes with the setup.