ICE Link works when COLD!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ICE Link works when COLD!?!

I installed a Dension Ice-Link last spring in my 04 TSX Navi. I bought the required Y-cable (not sure what kind now), but I get sound out of the ipod just fine. However, it's always made my Navi run slow or become unresponsive. I noticed recently that it seems to be associated with - believe it or not - the temperature. On a hot day, my navi is unresponsive (touch screen, voice, everything). On cool mornings everything runs smooth as butter. I have been testing my theory by setting the A/C to LO to see if i can get a quicker response, and sure enough, it works.

I'm not sure how the ice-link works, but I think it must pass-through the signals going from the touchscreen and button controls through to the HU, and I'm thinking the delays / unresponsiveness are due to some sort of process that goes on inside the Ice-link. And for whatever reason, the system runs better when cold (actually makes sense when you think about it... this is why our processors have heat sinks, fans, and etc - they just don't run well too hot.)

So my question:

How do I fix this?

-Change the install location: currently the ice-link unit is in the center storage area, basically under the cup holders - and the cable runs into the center console armrest. Is there a better (cooler) location? Where do you other ice-linkers have it installed?

-install a liquid cooling system? (kidding)

-call dension and hope they'll help me out?

-other suggestions?

has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm glad to at least have found some cause... for me ipod > navi (most of the time) but it sucks to have to choose.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Don't try to work around this - I see it as an incipient failure mode.

It's not a pass-through per se... but it IS a node on the network.

I think that the micro on the Icelink board is messing up the transmission. THey seem to run hot and the heatshrink on the top doesn't help.

DICE/Dension USA will upgrade your Icelink to a new DICE module for $50, if memory serves.

If it still has the problem, at least DICE units are more marketable.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Driven to Perfection

Wow. that's good news. I was actually looking at the DICE unit today as well. Do you know if I can use the same Y-cable? (I believe I have the P.I.E. harness)

What are the functionality differences between the Ice-Link Plus and the Dice?

Also, I see they have a new cradle with video out capabilities. I wasn't able to determine whether it is available yet, but I'd be interested in pairing that with Dom's unit... has anyone done that yet?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The wiring connections are identical.

The DICE will let you change tracks like the Icelink. The iPod controls are always enabled.

If you select disc 2 using the disc up/down keys, then the next/previous keys that were controlling tracks, change playlists. Disc 3, change Albums or Artists, I can't remember. Disc 4, change chapters if you have something with them, and Disc 5, change to the aux input on the DICE unit.

I would do the video interface if it weren't such a great way to get in an accident.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Driven to Perfection

I've heard about some compatability issues between the new 80 gig video and the Ice-Link. Does the DICE have any issues?

Also, do you know anything about DICE's HD Radio tuner?