I need some help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
I need some help?

I have a 2 pairs of Alpine speakers for my '99 Acura 3.2TL. For the front I have a pair of SPR-17LS Type-R 6 1/2" 2 way Components and for the rears I have a pair of SPR-17LP Type-R 6 1/2" 2 way Coaxial Speakers. I got a good deal on these speakers, $180 for the both. I just got back from Audio Jam on Route 40 in Bear, DE. They salesman told me that the speakers are to deep and he recommended I get some Kenwood Exceleon b/c they are more shallow. Is he telling me the truth or just trying to make a sale? Because I could have sworn I heard people on here talking about installing these speakers in our Acura's.
And secondly he quoted me a price of $1100 for a basic (nothing custom) install which included relocating the brain of my already installed IVA-D300, installing a 4 & a 1 channel amp and a 1 Farad cap to the back of the seats, both sets of Excelon speakers and installing them, a ported box for 2- 12's and installing it, Dynamat in the trunk and around the speakers in all doors. All power wires and rca cables would be supplied by me...is it me or is that kind of high?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The depth will be fine as long as they use mating/speaker spacers which you can find the info for here
Now on the diamater you might have to cut some metal"not for the faint at heart". Even then there might be an issue with the speakers not being flush with the door panel once installed with spacers. Eld will know more about this.

As far as the price goes it all depends on how good they are. Have they ever done a Acura TL before??? Id wana know and not "erm ahh yes" proof but "show me the money" proof.

Last edited by optomos; 07-09-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:41 PM

So do you think I should just go with the speakers he's recommending... he says the fit much better and they sound the same if not better. He didn't have any of them on display for me to listen to. Have you ever heard Kenwood Excelon speakers...if so are they any good?

He showed me a couple pics of Acura he did... I think I may just try and do it myself, thats alot of dough for just labor. I could see if it was custom labor, this is a basic labor i'm talking about.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:06 PM
I=X - optomos

Are you wanting to upgrade everything or just the speakers? What is your cuurent system setup & maximum your willing to spend on equipment.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:03 PM

At the moment I have a Alpine IVA-D300 touchscreen dvd player, CHA-S634 CD Changer, a Directed 1100D amp and the speakers that I mentioned. By the end of the week I should have the 2 12" Type R's, Alpine MRV-F345 for my highs, and all the wires and etc.
As far as a budget goes I figured I world be spending about $400 for a basic install b/c I just get it installed before the summer's over and I would save for a custom install next summer.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:31 AM
I=X - optomos

If you dont want to make any holes then I would use CDT Braxials.

CDT
a/d/s