how do you get the dvd nav to play movies??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you get the dvd nav to play movies??

i was told this is possible, thanks.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

You need a video converter to take a ntsc signal from your external dvd player (the navi one won't play movies) and convert it to and rgb signal.

Pioneer made one called the avc-rgb1 that could be modified to work. It is no longer in production.

I don't think anyone has come up with a substitute, so as far as I know you are SOL.

If you do find something that will do the trick, you will need to find a way to get audio into the stock system. RF modulators suck big time ass... but StreetEffectz just came out with a converter that plugs into the CD changer input in the stock deck that would work awesome! There's a thead floating around recently about that part.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Advanced

well the douchebag salesman at the dealership lied, big surprise. meh, im over it.

playaz
Old 10-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by PlayaZ
well the douchebag salesman at the dealership lied, big surprise. meh, im over it.

playaz
He did not lie to you. Lying would be if he knew it could be done and he told you that it couldn't be done. He honestly doesn't know it can be done and 99% of the dealerships do not know it can be done and as far as he knows it can't be done. Only a few of us know how to do it, it's called modifying your Navi to do something that it was not intended to do; but you know what it probably can't be done at this point because the parts are nowhere to be found.

Why don't you focus on building a good relationship with your dealership instead of calling them liars, come to hear for the answers you don't get from them (because they don't know everything) and forget about people trying to deceive you for no good reason.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Advanced

well he did lie because he said that i could," go to car toys and for like 20 bucks they will reconnect a pre-installed wire that is disconnected for legal purposes, and it will play movies."
Old 10-18-2002, 07:21 PM
Red X

supply and demand. streeteffectz has something, but it costs a grip. glad i got mine done. check the sig
Old 10-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Red X

and here is my sig
Old 10-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Advanced

a question slightly of subject.

will i lose my navigation voice if i change to an aftermarket head unit? thanks, u guys know ur shizzle
Old 10-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Yeesh forget about playing stuff thru ur NAVI, that screen is tiny
Old 10-19-2002, 04:01 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, it's a small screen, but who cares. look at the pics:

yeah, now tell me you wouldn't something clean and bad ass looking like that in your car

http://www.angelfire.com/super/types...onversion.html
Old 10-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Advanced

thats what im talkin about!! i read about the dvd nav conversion and dl'd it from ur web site. i had some ?'s though. wheres your switch and ps2? thanks.

PlayaZ
Old 10-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

PlayaZ,

To answer your questions...

i have a deh-p8400mp cd player by pioneer. i also have the ip bus to rca conversion cable so i can input audio into the deck.

1. i need to know how to import video into the nav screen with some sort of switch like u did so i can use my ps2 in the car.

2. also, if i install this deck, will i lose the talking directions function that came with my navigation?

3. also, will my steering wheel controls become useless for volume control or is there some sort of way to integrate them. i hope that i did not overwhelm you with my questions, and thanks for all ur help.

1. You need a ntsc to rgb converter like described earlier in the post. Then you will need a 12v 4 pdt relay. They have those at radio shack. You will hook the 4 wires (rgbc) from the navi system and the 4 from the convert and then hook the other side of the relay to the wires leading to the screen. You will then need to run a switch to the front of the car to control the relay.

2. yes you will lose the navi voice if you change the head unit.

3. Yes the steering wheel controls will not work with an aftermarket deck.

So the answer is... leave the stock head unit! Plus the stock deck looks much better than aftermarket ones in the space in the das... imo that is.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:05 PM
Advanced

i am a firm believer in stock=crap. i pay good money for stereo components for them all to do what theyre supposed to. i wouldnt mind leaving in my sotck deck, but i have 4 amps that run my system. i have an amp for my fronts, and amp for my rears, and 2 for my subs. i dont think that i can run all 4 from the stock hu, theres not enouh outs. i wish i could mcdan, i wish i could, but thats just not an option for me. i guess ill just have to eat the steering controls and lose the voice navi, meh im over it. bose is good for stock, but its not competative or impressive.

playaZ
Old 10-19-2002, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I have an aftermarket amp running from the stock deck.

You could easily run 4 amps from the outputs of the stock deck, but you might need to run it through a line booster (like the AudioControl 4.1) to get the signal strong enough.

Don't forget you're throwing away the 6 disc changer function too!

Our stock deck is made by Pioneer, so I bet the eletronics inside aren't all that different.

I have been heavily involved in car audio for years, ( i used to have 4 amps and 18 speakers in a previous car) but the advantages of leaving the stock deck outweighed the disadvantages, at least to me.

At least take to a top-notch shop so you have the best chance of getting the custom faceplate that will go around your aftermarket deck to look as good as possible.

Just make sure you keep the stock one or the resale value of the car will be hosed too.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:08 PM
Advanced

do you know what the voltage output of the stock deck outupt(S) are and how many there are. i would likea non fading sub output function
in my 8400, i have high volt outputs (4.8v) and yes this does make a difference when you are amping. i have heard of these line boosters, but have not used them, are they any good?

i would love to chat with you more mcdanjw, my email is playaz0429@hotmail.com if you wanna share knowledge and pics. lemme know what comes up

PlayaZ