Helpin a Car Audio Newb choose the right shit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helpin a Car Audio Newb choose the right shit

These 'which amp or sub is better' threads just don't seem to work...so I'm going to try a different approach.

I am a confused individual who needs lots and lots of answers. Car audio just isn't my specialty, as I seem to understand nothing (ohms, watts, channels, this and that). However, I do know that I like CLEAN, crisp sound. Sure, the systems that POUND sound great, but it's not something I can see myself driving with everyday. I don't want to deal with rattles, with extra batteries, or caps or things of that sort. I am a simple man with a simple plan. A sub, an amp, and a new HU to run the whole thing. Now a good year 1/2 - 2 years ago, I had 1 12" w6v2 on a POS amp and I loved the thing. It sounded awesome. And I know it would have sounded a MILLION times better on a good amp. I also had 1 10" Infinity Perfect which sounded great too, but was underpowered. Plus, lately I've read that alot of people hate on the Infinity's because they blow easily and blah blah blah.

So basically, all I want is something practical that sounds great and isn't a pos set up, you know? On the other hand, I hate it when people say "why don't you get the w7, or 2 of this or 3 of that." That's not what I'm looking for. Just 1 sub, nothing more. I am planning on spending around no more than ... oh $500-600 on a sub and amp (and wiring?)

Now, the following contenders seem to be highly recommended by members on the board:

JL W3v2, W6, W6v2
Eclipse Subs (dunno what model?)
IDMAX
Kicker L7

So, I need to know which is the best for SQ I suppose, and also should I get a 10 or a 12? Then, I need to know what amp to run. Now I've seen everyone say to get a JL 500.1 but those go for $300 + on ebay even used, so F that. So I want a good list of amps that I can run off of each, and which would be best. Also, when it comes to wiring, can I get a kit for like $20-30 on ebay? Or what? Also, for a box, how much does it usually cost to get one made at a shop?

Thanks for all your time and consideration for helpin a fellow board member out

`John

Edit: On ebay there is a 8" w7 for like $290, would that sound pretty good?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:49 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
still have a 12W3V2 for $120 if you want it
Old 08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Got a Job!

wow still no help...

brian, I really appreciate it However, most likely I'd be getting a w6v2 over a w3v2
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Dem1K
wow still no help...

brian, I really appreciate it However, most likely I'd be getting a w6v2 over a w3v2

Dont forget about your budget, cause getting a system adds up quick...sub, amp, amp kit, plus install...and a cap if you want to keep your lights from dimming...

go ahead and count 150 as your ampkit
and another 100 if you want a clean semi-custom look...for install

so that leaves you w/ ruffly: 250-300 for your sub and amp...
Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Got a Job!

no I know..i meant $500-600 for just the sub, amp, and amp kit...plus, I thought amp kits were like $40?

anyways, I have a buddy who can custom make the box for me and install everything for like $150. I'm going to stray from the cap, because I don't think it will be needed with such a light system. I had 2 12" alpine type-r's in my previous car running around 800w or so and no dimmage.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 PM
I NEED MONEY!

no I know..i meant $500-600 for just the sub, amp, and amp kit...plus, I thought amp kits were like $40?

anyways, I have a buddy who can custom make the box for me and install everything for like $150. I'm going to stray from the cap, because I don't think it will be needed with such a light system. I had 2 12" alpine type-r's in my previous car running around 800w or so and no dimmage.

as long as you have the hook ups you will ayte....thats the only way i got my system done for like 700-800...retail it turned out to be 2000...I saved a good bit of money
Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Got a Job!

that's the prob, I don't have any hook ups
Old 08-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Got a Job!

so here's the deal...I just bought

now, I need to get an amp wiring kit, a head unit, and someone to make me a box and install this shit for my retarded ass...

So I was looking at amp wiring kits and I fell across a few that crossed my mind...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713179761&rd=1

whats the diff from these two, besides the YEL?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713344645&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713226575&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713306382&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713210430&rd=1

and a WHOLE LOT more, but those are the ones that stuck out...do you guys have any input?

Then, I was thinking of getting this HU:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713290457&rd=1

Will this all work fine with the stock speakers and stock amp? If I want to change the speakers and amp, what do i need? Components in the front and coaxials in the rear? I'm pretty damn confused

Lastly, is there anyone down in the SFV that can help w/ the install?

`John
      Old 08-05-2004, 03:38 AM
      wcb
      Intermediate

If I where you I would look at getting Image Dynamics IDQ12v.2. Fits nicely in a small sealed box (.66 cubic feet) and it is not a power hungry sub. You could the JL 250/1 and have a very nice sub setup for 350 or you could get the JL 500/5 and have an amp that could drive your whole system in the future for ~$650.

I have the IDQ12v.2 and and two JL audio amps and my system sounds great, plenty of power and bass that can not your fillings out and was able to maintain most of my trunck space.

Bill
      Old 08-05-2004, 11:39 AM
      Flap.

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
      and a cap if you want to keep your lights from dimming...

go ahead and count 150 as your ampkit

part of the problem is that people offer misleading/wrong information.

a capacitor will enhance the clarity and fidelity of your system, by storing power close to the amp there will be constant clear sound during base peaks. if your lights dim its time for a new alternator.

the 10w7 sounds like a good sub for you, they are widely recognized for sounding larger than they are while maintaining decent efficency, and sound quality. one of these in a normal carpeted mdf box with a decent amp and a .5 farad cap should be close to within your means.

i dont know what costs are being included in an "ampkit" but a decent amount of 4 gauge , some ring terminas, a fuse, and some mid grade rca's can all be had for less than 100 dollars.

goodluck.

no one is ever hapy with their first setup.
      Old 08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
      Got a Job!

I appreciate the help...however I already bought a JL 12w6v2 and JL 500/1 amp as I posted above. I just need help w/ the other shit (speakers, amp kit, amp for speakers, etc)
      Old 08-06-2004, 10:04 AM
      Flap.

I appreciate the help...however I already bought a JL 12w6v2 and JL 500/1 amp as I posted above. I just need help w/ the other shit (speakers, amp kit, amp for speakers, etc)

o0o i see, id look at the alping head units, and those amp kits look fine... you can piece one together that has some better components.

speakers... well this will start to get expensive... you get what you pay for.

you can get the JL XR copmponents here for less than 300.
      www.onlinecarstereo.com (ive purchased over 1500$ of stuff from them, they are great)
      remember that then you will need speaker wire...

as for the box.... i would really recomend that you make it yourself.

shops will rape you on box construction. if you have a circ saw / table saw, and some basic tools you should be fine. use 5/8 mdf deck screws, liquid nails on the joints, and caulk the seams, just make it to mfg specs and youll be set. a big sheet of mdf is like 20 bucks, versus 100 for a box from a shop... you can carpet, paint... wtc it to your liking.

i would also encourage you to install the system, it really isnt that hard either, if you havew a ffew not so dumb friends, and are willing to do some reading first, you can save some big bucks here. you could go half and half and pay someone to install your headunit, if all the cutting and connecting isnt your thing.
      Old 08-06-2004, 04:46 PM
      URL Not Found!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
      I have two eclipse 8712s! Hit hardddd , however; fairly expensive. then again, you get what you pay for! Great quality subs! i highly recommend