HELP Replacing the Stock BOSE Speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 AM
2001 3.2 CL-S-TOTALLED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking HELP Replacing the Stock BOSE Speakers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone replace the existing stock BOSE speaker with an good aftermarket one like infinity's?

If so did it sound as good or better than the stock?

Did you need to add an amp to the stock stereo?

I want it the look stock so I just want the change the 2 front (5 1/4) and the 2 rear (6x9)

I am keep my stock stereo so it looks stock but want better quality sound.

Please advise... Any other recommendation would be greatly appriciated?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you can...the stock Bose speakers are 4 ohm (not 1 ohm like people like to think). You will get better sound but the highs will be VERY bright because the stock EQ boosts the highs alot to compensate for the shitty ass Bose speakers, and the stock amp wont give much power.

You can try it to see if its good enough for you, you can always add an amp later

BTW you can search for this topic - its been discussed lots
Old 02-04-2005, 01:54 PM
2001 3.2 CL-S-TOTALLED

Originally Posted by ou sig
you can...the stock Bose speakers are 4 ohm (not 1 ohm like people like to think). You will get better sound but the highs will be VERY bright because the stock EQ boosts the highs alot to compensate for the shitty ass Bose speakers, and the stock amp wont give much power.

You can try it to see if its good enough for you, you can always add an amp later

BTW you can search for this topic - its been discussed lots
Great thanks, Sorry I am a newbee on here so I was not aware of it being discussed prior.

Csilva
Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 PM
2001 3.2 CL-S-TOTALLED

But I would still like some option in which type of speakers to go with the stock head unit and amp,

Money is not an issue, just want to know what's out there that will work best with the existing system since I want stock looks but better sound.

and If I need to add an amp then so be it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by csilva
But I would still like some option in which type of speakers to go with the stock head unit and amp,

Money is not an issue, just want to know what's out there that will work best with the existing system since I want stock looks but better sound.

and If I need to add an amp then so be it.
if thats the case, then you need to get a line output converter...to take the speaker level outputs and have RCA outs, and you need to get an aftermarket amp. What speakers? Well man thats up to you. Take a few CD's that you really know every sound on, and go to a store to listen to some speakers. Its very hard to tell you anything about that - there are so many brands and everyone has their favorites. I wouldnt recommend going to Best Buy or anything - go to a more caraudio shop to hear some better quality speakers.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Uh... if the 2001 CL has a factory amp - and I think that it does - and it has a Bose EQ - which it sounds like it does - then the signal going from the OEM head Unit to the Bose EQ is NOT amplified. In that case you do not need a Line Output Converter. You MAY need a balanced adapter, but from what I hear it may not be balanced (Derrick?). You may just need to hack a set of RCA's and splice, like we do in the TSX...
Old 02-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Racer

Yes, you can get to the preamp loop via the black harness connector that goes to the Bose EQ--better sq than using a LOC. (See my sticky thread on 2nd gen TLs).

The factory amp is actually inside the HU--the preamp loop is provided to allow OEM customization to different models of cars. (It also serves as a line driver for the sub amp).

I don't believe they're balanced, because there is one common and one each signal: Left, Right, SUM (for the sub). I believe balanced preamp signals require three wires. (Not a musician, so I don't ever see balanced lines). I know that when I had my Audio Control 3.1 installed, putting the jumpers to 'balanced' made the sound worse.

The stock HU will work fine with an amp and speakers. Be prepared to buy a sub too--because you'll play hell trying to get the lound turn-on thumping out of the stock sub if you connect it to anything. (That requires keeping the Bose EQ or using a line driver, btw).

There's a ton of posts on using the preamp outs from the HU--I tried to link to a couple of the more relevant ones from my sticky.

A word of warning: everybody that I've ever talked to that went down the road of adding on to the stock system ended up replacing everything eventually. For me, it was a painful process--I wish I had just designed my system from the ground up the first time.