help picking audio components

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help picking audio components

okay.. well im finally gonna start setting up my system.. i got a couple things already.. i have a jl audio 12 w7 sub.. i have a 1000/1 jl mono amp.. and i got 300/4 jl 4 channel.. and i already have a headunit in mind.. so now this is where i need help..

what kind of components should i get.. in my last car i had boston pro 6.5 components (which i love) but are kinds pricie and i cant really afford them now.. i also had some mb quart psd216 components before also.. i like how both of them sound but i think i can afford the psd's more then the boston pros. does anyone know about the jl xr components? or someother components that might be good..

also.. what is the sound difference with co axil and just standard components..

i also need help getting a Capacitor.. not sure how many farads or what brand would be good..

also.. what should i use for dampening.. i know dynamat is a big name.. but its kinda expensive.. does anyone know of anything else besides that but works just as good or better..

okay.. well that all i can think of that i need.. if im missing anything let me know.. thanks..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Your cap will not help your fully-regulated amps a damn bit.

If you have headlight dimming issues, get a Yelow Top and upgrade your big 3 wires under the hood (alternator feed to battery, battery ground, battery to fuse box).

I like cascade vb2 vinyl. WHen I lived in SD, I did my car in asphalt-based material and that summer it smelled like roofing tar. Bad. Check Parts Express.

With a coaxial, you technically can get the same sound in frequency response that you can get from components. The issue is that usually you don't, because the tweeter is smaller and the crossover is worse. But some coaxials (Morel Integra, etc) kick ass.

But they don't help you with elevating the stereo image. Good tweeters that play low will help you do that if you mount them up at the top of the door.

But you may not want to afford a set of DLS, Morel, Dynaudio, or ALpine X.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by any chance does anyone know what size yellow top better i would need.
im pretty much trying to collect all the parts i need so i can get everything put in at once..

how about a cap.. what info do you know about that..?

thanks..