Help Installing Foldout dvd HU in TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Installing Foldout dvd HU in TSX

I was planning on installing foldout dvd hu in my 04 tsx and was hoping to get some help and suggestions. Based on the searching in this forum, I decided that I would try and connect the dvd hu to the stock (non-nav) hu and be able to switch between the 2 using the aux button.

1) In order to do this, what other parts do I need? I gathered maybe, aux converter and a ground loop inverter?

In terms of mounting, I like how the mp3 install kit looks, so I'd need to pick up the mp3 attachment kit.

2) Does that kit come with all those metal brackets? And thats what I use to secure the DVD hu?

3) What exactly does pac bypass kit do? Would I need it to control the new dvd hu with the wheel controls?

Thanks alot for any help. Please direct me to any threads that may be useful. I apologize if I was unable to locate any of these threads on my own.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You did a lot of great searching already, sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do and how to do it. Other people should look to you as an example.

1) Aux converter (I recommend usa-spec pa11-hon2y), no GLI necessary
2) MP3 kit (bracket and faceplate, but not the cd player) can be found online for ~$80. It will come with all the parts you need.
3) I'm not sure that there is a pac kit for the TSX. I do not believe you will be able to integrate your steering wheel controls. I could be wrong about this, hopefully uncald4 or another one of our pro installers will chime in on this point.

Please ask any more questions you have, I'll answer what I can, I'm sure others will jump in too. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Cruisin'

Hey, Reach, thank you for the quick reply.

For the usa-spec pa11-hon2y, is its high price tag due to its ability to let you plug and control your ipod?

On crutchfield its listed for $150, is there a cheaper place to order it?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 02:26 AM
Cruisin'

How does the USA-Spec connect to the DVD HU? Is my diagram below (yellow circle) correct? So I'll have to buy a wiring harness and crimp wires to the dvd hu wires?

Last edited by Vacura; 06-17-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Nope... I don't want to get out MS Paint, so its like this:

Stock HU --> (CAN BUS plug) --> usa-spec --> (RCA jacks red/white) --> DVD Headunit.

No crimped, cut, or soldered wires. I think its high(er) price tag is justified as it is a very solid unit, plug-n-play, direct iPod control, and the reliability of the unit, something other manufacturers lack.

The iPod functionality is very important to me, but I recognize that it may not be to others. I got mine for about $130 shipped from a random car audio website, but I wouldn't recommend them to others, as they shipped me the wrong one first and I had to RMA. Search around, you should be able to get it for a little less than $150. Try PM'ing our vendor "uncald4", he may or may not be able to help you out, I don't know if he's dealing parts right now. But, you need 10 posts to be able to PM, so build those up first.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vacura
In terms of mounting, I like how the mp3 install kit looks, so I'd need to pick up the mp3 attachment kit.

2) Does that kit come with all those metal brackets? And thats what I use to secure the DVD hu?
The kit is the metal brackets and the plastic trim piece, that's really all there is to it. There is also a cable, but you won't use it.

Just in case you aren't aware, the face of the OEM mp3 player is wider than a standard DIN opening. Mounting a DIN sized unit results in ~8mm gap between the unit and the opening of the plastic trim piece on both the left and right sides. There is also a 2mm gap below the unit, but you can only really see that if you at eye level to the unit, so it's basically a non-issue.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Spoon
The kit is the metal brackets and the plastic trim piece, that's really all there is to it. There is also a cable, but you won't use it.

Just in case you aren't aware, the face of the OEM mp3 player is wider than a standard DIN opening. Mounting a DIN sized unit results in ~8mm gap between the unit and the opening of the plastic trim piece on both the left and right sides. There is also a 2mm gap below the unit, but you can only really see that if you at eye level to the unit, so it's basically a non-issue.
Hey thanks for this piece of information. Maybe I'll think of something to minimize the gaps.

And another question, what will I do for power to the dvd hu? I thought I would at least need to solder a power and lead-turn on cord (so the Hu knows only to be on when the car is on). Can someone verify this?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Vacura; 06-18-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, you will just need to tap into a fused +12v acc and ground wire. Luckily there is a cig lighter right below the pocket with both wire you need, just tap into them and you'll be set.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Racer

^^
Also, if you tap the factory amp turn-on wire, you'll be able to power everything with one button.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Cruisin'

I just picked up the HU tonight. I'm looking at the wiring diagram in user manual and am not sure which of the wires I need to tap (red? or yellow?). I'm thinking red to the "+", and the black to "-" of the cigarette lighter. Could you guys point me in the right direction? Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Splice the red and black to the cig lighter, and you can get a constant +12v for the yellow wire from the fuse box. I would use an 'add-a-fuse' for a no-splice solution there that easily incorporates a new fuse. Remember to have your battery unplugged while doing that one.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Reach
Splice the red and black to the cig lighter, and you can get a constant +12v for the yellow wire from the fuse box. I would use an 'add-a-fuse' for a no-splice solution there that easily incorporates a new fuse. Remember to have your battery unplugged while doing that one.

Can you elaborate on the "add-a-fuse" to the fuse box? I'm guessing its one of those in-line fuse things I can pick up at radio shack or something but where in the fuse box would I run it?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

I found this while searching. Is that what I'm trying to do too?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes. Just concern yourself with the "constant power" part of that picture. Look how he has put in a device that has a fuse going sideways. That's an add-a-fuse. You can get them at radio shack. The one I got came with a 10amp fuse, and your diagram is asking for a 15, so just make sure you have an appropriate fuse too. All these parts are cheap.

I don't have any manuals or anything around me, but I think fuse #6 makes a good one. Its a 10a fuse labeled as for interior lights and stuff like that.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Lets say that I already have a fuse connected to the yellow wire, where is a good place to connect the yellow wire to? Still to the fuse box?

I wasn't paying attention to the wiring harness and the yellow wire already has a fuse connected for me
Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

No harm in having 2 fuses in-line.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

The Headunit has 2 sets of pre-amps, front (L&R) and read (L&R) which set should I connect to the USA-spec in?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Reach, thank you so much for answering my numerous questions and to Spoon to for his answers. This afternoon I did a preliminary install and wired everything up. I'm waiting for the mp3 mounting kit to come in to my local Acura dealer tomorrow. So hopefully everything will be complete by tomorrow afternoon.

Here a some pictures for now:

1. Safety fist. I disconnected the battery.

Followed the DIY here to remove the center console and other pockets.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=fuse

2. Before picture

3. USA-spec installed with the Monster RCAs running to the DVD Headunit.

4. Picture of where the USA-Spec plugs into the Stock Non-navi HU

5. Wiring the positive (red) from the HU to the white/red of the cigarette lighter.
And negative (black) from the HU to the black wire of the cig lighter. The Red cubed things are wire taps bought from Radio Shack ( I cannot emphasis how convenient the wire taps make wire installations)

6. Following Reach's suggestion, here is a picture of the mini 'add-a-fuse' from Autozone. I plugged it into one of the fuse spots that was not being occupied.

7. Everything wired up and working!

8. Enjoying some Star Wars

I must say, the hardest part was prying up the center console around the transmission. It took more strength than I thought to get the clips up and I pretty scared of the plastic snapping. My fingers hurt a bit, but in the end its worth it.

Thanks again to all who provided me with all the useful tips.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Curious, what flip-out unit is that?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Its the Jensen VM9312
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Even tho I've got navi, I want to drop in a flip-out one day so I can rock the dual-screen. I think I'm going to wait for Pioneer to put their iPod interface in the N4, or some improvements in speed and interface to the Alpine's.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Cruisin'

I picked up this Jensen VM9312 after reading numerous good reviews about it in crutchfield, cnet, and other websites. For the price of ~400 its pretty decent.

I'll post more pictures when the install is complete.