Help Hard Wiring my Sirius Stiletto into my 07 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Hard Wiring my Sirius Stiletto into my 07 TSX

Hi Everyone,
I just received a new Sirius Stiletto and I am interested in hardwiring it into my TSX. The problem that I can see is that it takes a 5V input, not a 12V input. Are there any 5V taps inside the fuse box for the TSX that I can plug in to? Also, if anyone has installed a Stiletto, I'm really interested in placement and your experience, so please post some ideas if you can. I am currently contemplating mounting it on the way left side of the car either on the vents over there or next to the sunroof controls. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Well, it seems like nobody's ever done this ... Anyways, I have been reading the DIY threads and I think I can take the center console out now. I still don't know where a good place to find a 5V output is however. I would really *want* to install the stiletto directly to the left of the nav screen (between it and the apolstry) but I'm not sure how feasible this is, and I can't find any DIY documents here that talk about taking the nav screen out of the dash. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For mounting it, there are some pre-fab'd mounts, like the Kuda mount for the iPod, which would work well. Of course the best solutions are always custom. If the stiletto includes a mounting bracket, a good place is the blank panel under the sunroof controls.

As far as powering it, just use a transformer. For instance, when I installed my slim PSTwo in my car, I used a cigarette lighter adapter, but then cut away the plastic and hard wired it behind the dash. The transformer still provides the stepdown (8.5v in my case) and can give you a clean install. There's plenty of room everywhere in that dash to hide electronics, trust me.

Really, a project like this isn't that hard, the hardest part is figuring out ahead of time where you want it and what you want it to look like. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, just post them here.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Thanks Reach! At first I was thinking of mounting it over near the sunroof controls, but I can't find any DIY threads about disassembling that area of the dash and I really don't want to wreck the interior of the car by making a careless mistake. I have a car kit (basically a dock for the vertically-oriented radio) and a bracket to mount the dock.

1. I somehow need to get the unit power, which I assume can do from the fuse box. I like your idea and will hit up a local electronics store for a female cigarette lighter adaptor.

2. I need to run the antenna somewhere, which I was thinking all the way to the rear of the car through the trunk. I had my previous antenna run alongside the windshied and mounted in the front center of the roof, but I don't really know how to do that in the TSX. I also don't know how to run it to the trunk, but I don't think that will be too difficult.

3. Then I need to either use my FM modulator and plug into the antenna of the car or figure out how to run it directly into the aux section of the radio/nav. I assume that I *could* just run a cable into the center console and use that aux input as I think it is the same as I would if I found it on the back of the radio/nav.

Thank you for your input!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jay427
At first I was thinking of mounting it over near the sunroof controls, but I can't find any DIY threads about disassembling that area of the dash and I really don't want to wreck the interior of the car by making a careless mistake. I have a car kit (basically a dock for the vertically-oriented radio) and a bracket to mount the dock.
If you remove the sunroof switch area (its easy, just look under it, you pull upwards and out from 2 slots) and shine a flashlight down there, you can see its actually a great mounting spot, if you want to use it. There's a few inches square where its just flat plastic on front, and flat metal on the back, great to sink a few screws into.

2. I need to run the antenna somewhere, which I was thinking all the way to the rear of the car through the trunk. I had my previous antenna run alongside the windshied and mounted in the front center of the roof, but I don't really know how to do that in the TSX. I also don't know how to run it to the trunk, but I don't think that will be too difficult.
Before you go and run a new external antenna, first install it and try it with the antenna loose in the car. If you've still got a strong signal, why disform the exterior lines of the car? internally mount it. I did this with a Pioneer navi in a toyota recently for sat + xm signal, and it worked great. I mounted it with body kit tape to the underside of the top of the dash. Hidden, but with a line of sight upwards through the windshield just fine. The signal will go through the 1/8" plastic just fine. For the TSX, you might want to install the antenna under the rear carpeted shelf. That's where the navi antenna is anyway, and they won't interfere w/ each other. If you remove 1 rear side bolster and the rear seat, its a really easy cable run. Just tape it down well to the metal under the plastic shelf.

3. Then I need to either use my FM modulator and plug into the antenna of the car or figure out how to run it directly into the aux section of the radio/nav. I assume that I *could* just run a cable into the center console and use that aux input as I think it is the same as I would if I found it on the back of the radio/nav.
I'd recommend getting an additional port via an aux solution. Look for either a usa spec pa11-hon2y or a DiCE R3 / R4 kit, whichever one is for your vehicle. They will add a new input "CD-C" and have line in ability. For this application I might go with the usa spec since it has full RCA line ins, vs 3.5mm stereo mini jack.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You can get 5V from a cigarette lighter USB charger. Or look up a part number like LM7805. I think you can even get one from radio shack. Only has pins: IN, OUT, GROUND
Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reach
I'd recommend getting an additional port via an aux solution. Look for either a usa spec pa11-hon2y or a DiCE R3 / R4 kit, whichever one is for your vehicle. They will add a new input "CD-C" and have line in ability. For this application I might go with the usa spec since it has full RCA line ins, vs 3.5mm stereo mini jack.
Interesting. I checked this out and it looks like a nice unit. I don't really *need* the functions that it provides for the ipod (unless it would also provide the same steering wheel functionality for my stiletto [I doubt that]) and I don't really think I'll need to use the aux input for much of anything. Here's my current plan...please feel free to critique it!

1. I bought the female cigarette lighter from Radio Shack last night. I plan on finding power in the fuse box somewhere for it.

2. As far as mounting the unit, I'm still up in the air. I think I can mount it to the far left air duct with an air duct mount that it comes with. I would much rather hard mount it however, so I'm still debating this.

3. I plan on trying to mount the antenna inside the car in the rear deck. I currently have it magnetized to the lock back there and the reception is not very good. I will try mounting it more towards the rear.

4. From reading on these boards, I think it may not be terribly difficult to run an 1/8" phono from the unit (wherever it is mounted) to the center console to plug into the aux input there.

All criticism and ideas are very welcome!! Thanks!! I also plan on photographing my progress to share with everyone.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

If that's your plan, go for it. My primary concern would be antenna placement, just keep playing around with that before installing to find a location you like first.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Hi Reach,
I am testing the antenna placement where you suggested, and magnetized it underneath the rear deck, near the nav dvd player. It works great! I think it may need a little tweaking, but I think this is the best place for the antenna to go!! Now to figure out the rest of everything!! Are there any DIY threads about removing the rear bolster and seats? I can't find any...I assume that it is really easy, but am being very cautious with the new car and all Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

jay427, search through the TSX section for DIYs and pictures on installing coilovers or lowering springs. I know they're unrelated, but you need to do the same dis-assembly to access the rear suspension area to get to where you want to go. Again, you can post up any questions here or in those threads about removing the components.

If you don't mind, keep updating this thread as you go with your methods and install / technique, it will serve as a good reference thread for others who are searching for similar installs. Include pictures if you can.