help with 4 ch amp install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 10:22 PM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with 4 ch amp install!!!

ok guys, i decided that it's time to upgrade the system. i'm not doing the subs just yet..i just want to do all the inside speakers..i got some MB Quart Q series 6.5 components..and boston pros 6X9's in the back..i also got a Alpine V12 MRV-F407..

The problem is: i went to al and eds, and they want 300 bux to do the install..i was like NO! so i wanna do it myself..i have installed systems before, but i never had to deal with BOSE! i had a few questions: 1. do i need a hi-lo convertor? where is the stock amp? does anyone have the helms manual so i know which colors do what? how do i take off the cover on the back of the car above the 6X9's and how many screws are on the doors to take off the panels. does anyone have a schimatic of this? i want as much info as i can get because i wanna do this myself...also i heard that you have to rewire the whole car because it's bose..thats what the al and eds guy said..but i think he was talking out of his ass because he wanted more money...also does anyone know a GOOD shop in WEST LA that would do this install for about 130-150 bux? the al and eds said they would do it on the phone before i got there..and they even asked me what car it was, but then when i went in, he's like Oh, it's BOSE so we gotta do all this extra shit..so gimme 300 bux...anyways, Thanks
-Sam
Old 08-23-2001, 10:49 PM
6th Gear

I checked with car toys. They told me they would install my speakers for $90 for the mb quart seperates in the door, $35 for the rear 6x9, and $50 for the amp. The deck install was free when I bought my eclipse, and they didnt have to use a converter. thats my 2 pennies.
Juicy
Old 08-23-2001, 11:46 PM
Instructor

What model/year car do you have? The schematics are in the "Extremely Useful Topics" section of the forum I believe for the 2001 CL-S.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:02 AM
ALi G in the House!

ok..i got those, but now which cables do i do what to..like which ones do i hook up the RCA's to..also what do i need to do to the RCAs? i have to splice them and take out the center cable? on the RCAs, which is the positive..the inside wire or the outside wire? which cables would be ch 1-4..also, where is the stock amp located? on the left or right side of the trunk? i got a 01 cl-s
thnx
Old 08-24-2001, 01:19 AM
Instructor

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=16&t=000012
Old 08-24-2001, 03:33 AM
ALi G in the House!

i saw that already..that shows where the wires go and stuff..but where is the stock amp? how to i get to it? what do i need to remove to get to it? and what are the wires i need to take and make RCA's out of?
MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE INFO!!
thanks
-Sam
Old 08-24-2001, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Relax, dude, it'll be ok. We all want you to succeed!

The Blowz power amp is hidden behind a panel (that's easy to remove) on the right side in the trunk of our CL's . This is from one of Jerry's posts on another thread:

Remove the trunk liner to get access to the stock amp by taking out marked screws. Don't forget to take out the jack panel and the jack as well. You also have to take out the tool container. Just pull it up hard (but carefully), it'll come off.

You'll see the factory amp located in front of the jack.
Check out the schematics and the other pix from the Helms Manual on the site that Jerry re-posted above. For the speakers, the pix will tell you the colors of the 8 wires you need to make up the 4 RCA cables for your NEW POWER AMP. (BTW, the inside post, or center, of the RCA connector is where the positive wire goes.) So, once you locate your Blowz power amp, you can rip it out (pull out the block connectors first), and start your chop 'n' splice operation.

Referring to the Helms pix, your 8 channels are:

Front: Left Channel (+) and (-)
Front: Right Channel (+) and (-)
Rear: Left Channel (+) and (-)
Rear: Right Channel (+) and (-)

You can figure out the correct colors fer yerself, O.K.?

You'll also need to run the "remote turn-on" wire (from your HU) to your new power amp as well (no special end termination needed). It looks like the white/yellow wire (check the Helms pic) for that puppy.

I'm sure you're aware that you'll need to install a dedicated heavy duty (w. in-line fuse) power cable from your battery (+) to your new power amp.

Happy "amping"

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-24-2001, 07:57 PM
ALi G in the House!

O WOW! thanks for the info! just one more question for you though..do i have to re-run wire to the speakers? or do i just use the other side of the stock amp to connect using the existing wires?
Thanks again
Old 08-25-2001, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Good point. I can see why you'd be tempted to want to run the front L & R outputs from your amp to the same wiring for your front speakers, but wouldn't it be easier to just run the L& R rear outputs from your new amp directly to the rear speakers? That's probably how I'd do it. Any opinions from da boyz???
Old 08-25-2001, 08:26 PM
ALi G in the House!

thats true, but what about the front speakers? also...there are only 4 wires to the front right? not 8? because i was thinking, wouldn't there be 2 sets to each side..so +-for tweet, and +- for midrage..i just need 1 set..so it doesn't matter which one i take right?
thanks
-Sam
Old 08-26-2001, 02:37 AM
Instructor

There are only 4 wires to the fronts because the new speaker components should have a crossover, which will be mounted in the door, that properly distributes the frequencies between the woofer and the tweeter. So 2 wires (+ and -) from each front channel of the power amp go to into each crossover in each door, and 4 wires come out of each crossover--2 for the tweeter and 2 for the woofer.

It does matter which channels from the power amp you send to the front doors, since you gotta make sure you send the RIGHT channel to the passenger's door and the LEFT channel to the driver's door.

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-26-2001, 03:02 AM
ALi G in the House!

ok..well hmm..this is getting a bit technical..anyone in los angeles area wanna help me out ?
Thnx
Old 08-26-2001, 07:44 AM
War Eagle!!!

it's easy bro, trust me. I was as worried as you are now when I hard-wired my first radar detector. Trust me, it's a peace of cake and when you're finished, you'll feel damn good...now here's my question guys...I bought an infinity basslink for two reasons: A) it's tiny (one cubic foot of space for two 10"s, one active, other passive, magnets facing each other) and B) it's self-powered (200watts). I have one in my girl's bmw and it sounds very nice, adds enough low end to make her happy without sending the neighbors to their local hearing aid shop...ANYWAY :razz: It comes with speaker level inputs and rca's. You can do one or the other, and I was thinking of locating my blows amp and running the speaker-level inputs out of the connector that has all the wiring, however I'm concerned with the level of voltage on those lines...would it damage the amp in the sub, and pull power from the rest of the system or would it work flawlessly and add a bit more bass without harming the current infrastructure? Also, who's had experience running a thick ass power cable through the firewall? I can tap the remote power-on lead from the same connector and ground the baby out in the trunk, but I'm concerned with which grommet is the easiest below our dashboard on the firewall?? oh yeah, it's a 2001 CLP if that helps
Old 08-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Instructor

"mo"

I think there's good info on this thread that I found using our forum's "search" feature:

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=13&t=000094
Old 08-27-2001, 03:45 PM
War Eagle!!!

Thanks Tech, it really helped...I've just finished it up...man, running that power cable was a beyotch!!! what's this tool you always talk of..'search'...hmm maybe I should try it sometime
Old 08-29-2001, 03:41 AM
ALi G in the House!

hay that was supposed to be a new topic! not part of this one. i was all excited that someone waz going to help me install this god damn thing, (which i'd like to say is still sitting in my house)!!! anyone know anywhere that is good and not tooooooo expensive to install amps and speakers in WEST LA!?
thanks