going beyond my skill level building enclosure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
going beyond my skill level building enclosure.

Ive never tryied to build anything like this before. And I looking for ideas to make what Im trying to do work out. Im trying to put a 12" sub in each rear passenger side of the body. I got 2 complete layers of edead in the body and foam 6" deep anywhere air would leak,and plan to caulk face plate from inside and go over that with more edead.Then I also need ideas how to mold in my pannels.Here are some pics of what I got so far.I dont know if this will work or be a complete fail.just put a couple of screws to see if the sub would clear everything,it does....
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is crazy I was thinking of doing that

Any ways I would go with all fiber glass in that area to strengthen it because I think that the pannel is going to move on the out side I would also use RF subs becasue they have alot of give with the amount of space in the enclosure.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrFluffy
That is crazy I was thinking of doing that

Any ways I would go with all fiber glass in that area to strengthen it because I think that the pannel is going to move on the out side I would also use RF subs becasue they have alot of give with the amount of space in the enclosure.
Glass is what I would like to do but never work with it ever,and dont know what products to use.Ive been trying to learn a little with the tube videos.But I was also trying to doing this the cheapest way,dueto the lack of experiance.I definitly need to reduce volume some how either way,cuz theres probally 3+ cubes in each side.and I only need 2 max.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM

I mean you could try doing it the way you started it may work if it sealed good but watch for the specs of the subs (enclosure space) some subs are not very forgiving with the amount of space you use.But you can use cotton stuffing to tune the sound

also if you are goin to use fiber glass make sure it doesnt touch anything it not suppose too!!!!!!!This maybe a good oppritunity to learn fiber glass because it hidden

For thw out side the only thing I could think of is custom moulded pannels . you guessed it more fiber glass !!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM

I will be putting more time tommorow.Sub will be in and I'll be trying to figure out air space.How? I dont know exactally.maybe try filling it with spray foam till it has the right cubes,then sounddeadening over that.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you wondering how to measure the volume of the enclosure, or how to adjust it? If you're wondering how to measure it, get a bunch of packing peanuts, and a box of a known volume. Fill the enclosure with the packing peanuts, then empty them out into the other box until it's full. That's 1x the volume of the box. Repeat this process until you don't have any more packing peanuts in the enclosure.

If you're wondering how to adjust the volume, you could fill it (the corners are the best place to start) like you were talking about with foam or whatever, then put more glass on top of it. That way, you'd have a good solid base for the internal edges of the enclosure...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 PM

I think hes wondering if it will work.

If it going to be sealed enough for the sub over whatever
I like the idea like I siad but hes got alot of work ahead of him!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mattastick
Are you wondering how to measure the volume of the enclosure, or how to adjust it? If you're wondering how to measure it, get a bunch of packing peanuts, and a box of a known volume. Fill the enclosure with the packing peanuts, then empty them out into the other box until it's full. That's 1x the volume of the box. Repeat this process until you don't have any more packing peanuts in the enclosure.

If you're wondering how to adjust the volume, you could fill it (the corners are the best place to start) like you were talking about with foam or whatever, then put more glass on top of it. That way, you'd have a good solid base for the internal edges of the enclosure...
I am trying to figure out what my air space would be.And the peanuts would be good but as you can tell by the pics,the volume for the sub goes above the sub.so before I could get a acurate measurement I would be playing catch.Any other ways of caculating air space acuratly in the way Im trying to?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Take the enclosure out of the car... Do the back panel(3-4 layers of glass and mat) in the car, then pull it out, and it should have enough strength to stand on its own. That's when you make your front piece, and you can make it to whatever spec you want...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 PM

If you want to do it the easy way (matt is not goin to like this) eyeball it and use a punch sub I did a couple of installs like this and I got good sound (not any thing crazy) but it took some insulation to tune it.

I used an MA audio sub with out the exact specs sounded like sh*t

Oh and Im saying all of this because I think unless you send alot of time and monney on this the sound is not going to be much better than good

To many variables
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Fluffy's right... A build like this is going to take a lot of time and effort and you'll learn a lot while you do it. The best way to learn is by doing.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tip: Remove the rear seats ASAP. If you decide to do it it's about to get messy..
Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Drifting

I say leave the seats in there that way you know what you have to work around... Just put some of the blue painters tape over the seat so that if you get fiberglass on there, it'll peel off with the tape.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually use cardboard to simulate items like that. I wouldn't want to ruin the seats.. It gets sooo freakin messy..
Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
SSM CL-S is in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolll