Fixed - Radio refuses to take radio code

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another confirmation that entering the code in an underground parking garage works 9/23/2013. 2000 Acura TL 3.2.

I'm the original owner of this car, and while this isn't the first time I've ran into this problem, the dealer "fixed" it for free before. This week I replaced the battery myself, and the code didn't work. The dealer insisted on $65 to remove and "flash" the radio. Mmm-hmm. Either ignorant or greedy, not sure which is worse.

I found this thread, parked in the lowest floor, middle part of my work parking garage. Made sure there was no line of sight to the entrance and as many walls surrounding as possible. Turned the key, turned on the radio, the display showed on Err4 from the previous attempts. First try, code accepted.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear antennae disconnect worked for me. It was fast and effective. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Once the bloody radio doesn't accept the code anymore, do you always have to remove the antenna cable to input the code? I plan to work on my car in the upcoming weekends and I can't stand to have to be doing this every week just to get my radio back.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You have to either:
1) Remove Radio Antenna Cable
2) Park in underground garage where radio signals are weak to non-existent

Did the antenna remove today - not THAT bad - pictures don't really show location - just feel lower corner that's exposed after molding is removed - I had to move a group of wires out of the way with one hand, and feel for the antenna cable with the other. It comes out easy enough. Punch is code and push back antenna cable in firmly.

Post by Mezacan916 explains it, step by step
Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

radio code on 2003 tl doesnt work but...

Originally Posted by death
Symptom: After disconnecting the battery the factory radio refuses to take the dealer provided radio code. Radio cycles through codes Err1-9 continuously.

Fix: Disconnect the FM/AM antenna from the radio and then re-enter the code.

Pics:

Required Tools:
1 small flat head screw driver
1 small philips head screw driver
1 pair of needle nose pliers, the smaller the better (optional)

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your vehicle when performing the DIY steps. Please use your better judgment when bending and removing interior pieces.

DIY Steps:
1. Remove burlwood trim piece from center console by popping it out using a small flat head screw driver. Start at the edge nearest the rear of the car.

2. Remove the 3 philips head screws holding the side panel in place.

3. Pop the lower dash piece (found bellow the steering wheel) towards you starting with the piece with intersects with the side panel under the dash. It should pop off and hang.

Before performing step 4 you may want to warm up your car. This will ensure that the plastic interior piece is less brittle.

4. Gently bend the side piece and wiggle it until the two prongs pointing toward the rear of the car are free. Once the two prongs are free pull the side panel straight up and out towards the driver side door.

5. You should now be able to see the left side of the factory radio. In the small hole bellow the radio you will see a black cable wrapped in foam. This is the AM/FM antenna line. Gently reach in and pull or push the cable away from the radio. It should pop out quite easily. You can also use a pair in needle nose pliers to pop it out.

6. Place your keys in the ignition and turn to the on position. Turn the radio on and enter the unlock code (5 digit code). The radio should come on but have all static. This is due to the fact that at this point it no longer has an antenna.

7. Turn the key to the off position.

8. Follow the above mentioned steps in reverse order. First attach the radio antenna and confirm that it works.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Thanks it worked..another screw or two but it worked thanks for the insight.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

Thanks to who recommended the foil

Had the same problem as others and didn't want to disconnect the antenna and didn't live near an underground garage. I had entered the correct code several times and kept getting the ERR message.

Covered my rear windshield with 3 sheets of aluminum foil, 1 layer deep (covering the antenna) and entered the code. Radio accepted it the very first time.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I just experienced this problem a few weeks ago...

Taking the necessary center console panels off to get to the antenna lead was not a big deal... The antenna plug was a little challenging to get to, but nothing a pair of needlenose pliers didn't solve...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

Symptom: After disconnecting the battery the factory radio refuses to take the dealer provided radio code. Radio cycles through codes Err1-9 continuously.

Pics:

Required Tools:

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your vehicle when performing the DIY steps. Please use your better judgment when bending and removing interior pieces.

DIY Steps:
1. Remove burlwood trim piece from center console by popping it out using a small flat head screw driver. Start at the edge nearest the rear of the car.

3. Pop the lower dash piece (found bellow the steering wheel) towards you starting with the piece with intersects with the side panel under the dash. It should pop off and hang.

Before performing step 4 you may want to warm up your car. This will ensure that the plastic interior piece is less brittle.

4. Gently bend the side piece and wiggle it until the two prongs pointing toward the rear of the car are free. Once the two prongs are free pull the side panel straight up and out towards the driver side door.

5. You should now be able to see the left side of the factory radio. In the small hole bellow the radio you will see a black cable wrapped in foam. This is the AM/FM antenna line. Gently reach in and pull or push the cable away from the radio. It should pop out quite easily. You can also use a pair in needle nose pliers to pop it out.

6. Place your keys in the ignition and turn to the on position. Turn the radio on and enter the unlock code (5 digit code). The radio should come on but have all static. This is due to the fact that at this point it no longer has an antenna.

8. Follow the above mentioned steps in reverse order. First attach the radio antenna and confirm that it works.

This worked for me about an hour ago. Pulling out the antenna was difficult and putting it back was more difficult, but I managed. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

Smile quick fix

had this problem also. drove me crazy for 5 days. didn't want to pay 100.00 to have acura fix it. tried the parking garage thing too. didn't work. here's what did: we are in Memphis tn. no under ground parking garages around here. there is a tunnel that the airport runway goes over. we drove through it.half way through we entered the code and boom! radio works! I giggled all the way home. make sure the radio is showing "code".we had ours off also and turned it on when we entered the tunnel.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

Still doesn't work. Losing my mind here.

Please, guys and gals, if anyone has gone through this, help me out. It's been over a month. No radio. Both antennas are currently disconnected. Car is in pieces. Code does not work. Not on battery. Not on "on." Not in drive or park or underground or in a pond (next move) the code is correct. In three places on my car and also the Acura website. Someone, please help.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the pictures and instructions . Finally solved this radio code to program . 03 TL Type S
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the pictures and instructions . Finally solved this radio code problem . 03 TL Type S
Old 06-26-2016, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

Wallah!!! Presto

Worked easy as 1 2 3
🌊🌊🌊🌊

Acura TL 2003
Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 PM
6th Gear

Same issue in 2007 MDX

I'm experiencing the same issue in my 2007 MDX. Anyone else get this issue in an MDX before? Any tips?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Originally Posted by shon914
I'm experiencing the same issue in my 2007 MDX. Anyone else get this issue in an MDX before? Any tips?
did you try and follow the same steps in here?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 PM
6th Gear

I've tried the underground parking with no luck. Haven't tried anything with the antenna yet (given the instructions on this tread are not for the 2G MDX).
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by shon914
I've tried the underground parking with no luck. Haven't tried anything with the antenna yet (given the instructions on this tread are not for the 2G MDX).
Looks like I was using the wrong S/N this whole time! Previous owner got the radio replaced (stuck CD) and the S/N I was given when I bought the car was the S/N for the old radio. Got the new S/N and codes and worked like a charm.
The following users liked this post:
SaucyM (05-28-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Going underground works! Tried it and worked like a charm. The point is to lose signal, same as the antenna being disconnected. Thanks guys!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

Pics:
Attachment 55048
Attachment 55049

Required Tools:

DIY Steps:

Works