Fixed - Radio refuses to take radio code

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed - Radio refuses to take radio code

Symptom: After disconnecting the battery the factory radio refuses to take the dealer provided radio code. Radio cycles through codes Err1-9 continuously.

Fix: Disconnect the FM/AM antenna from the radio and then re-enter the code.

Pics:
Name:  IMG00060.jpg
Views: 20519
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  IMG00059.jpg
Views: 16278
Size:  38.4 KB

Required Tools:
1 small flat head screw driver
1 small philips head screw driver
1 pair of needle nose pliers, the smaller the better (optional)

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your vehicle when performing the DIY steps. Please use your better judgment when bending and removing interior pieces.

DIY Steps:
1. Remove burlwood trim piece from center console by popping it out using a small flat head screw driver. Start at the edge nearest the rear of the car.

2. Remove the 3 philips head screws holding the side panel in place.

3. Pop the lower dash piece (found bellow the steering wheel) towards you starting with the piece with intersects with the side panel under the dash. It should pop off and hang.

Before performing step 4 you may want to warm up your car. This will ensure that the plastic interior piece is less brittle.

4. Gently bend the side piece and wiggle it until the two prongs pointing toward the rear of the car are free. Once the two prongs are free pull the side panel straight up and out towards the driver side door.

5. You should now be able to see the left side of the factory radio. In the small hole bellow the radio you will see a black cable wrapped in foam. This is the AM/FM antenna line. Gently reach in and pull or push the cable away from the radio. It should pop out quite easily. You can also use a pair in needle nose pliers to pop it out.

6. Place your keys in the ignition and turn to the on position. Turn the radio on and enter the unlock code (5 digit code). The radio should come on but have all static. This is due to the fact that at this point it no longer has an antenna.

7. Turn the key to the off position.

8. Follow the above mentioned steps in reverse order. First attach the radio antenna and confirm that it works.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed!
The following 5 users liked this post by death:
dt00021 (05-28-2020), H3br3w__Hamm3r (03-20-2013), harrylj (07-12-2014), startrek (12-31-2014), texholdem (07-15-2012)
Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to deal with the radio code business today as well. I had the card with my code on it, but radio wouldn't take it. Did the lookup at radio-navicode.acura.com which confirmed the code I had was in fact valid, however the site also listed another possible code! That code didn't work either though.

So I then I thought about the remove-the-antenna thing. But I felt wouldn't it just be easier to disconnect the antenna from the radio via the antenna coil in the trunk vs. unplugging it from the radio? Tried it and my code still didn't work, unfortunately. Then I gave in and disconnected the antenna from the radio. Worked first time with the code that I had on the card. Seems the bottom line is you have to have the antenna unplugged from the radio.

On your #3...if you don't want the dash piece to hang and possibly be pulled, take off the driver's side fuse box and there's a screw holding it in place. Disconnect the blue connector and then you pop the dash piece off completely.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 PM
There's no Acura in

And also, if you're having trouble getting the antenna back in, I found it's best to align the antenna cable vertically so that the connector is upwards. Then push it away from you so that it goes up & in...then stick your fingers and press it into the radio.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the pic's! It really helps! I'll try it tomorrow. I've done every thing but pull the antenna wire.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Instructor

I hate this! This will be my third time doing this! Is there any other way? WTF?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by andramir82
I hate this! This will be my third time doing this! Is there any other way? WTF?
Read my post and you will never have to do this again and again. I spent rougly less than $4 for the 2 antenna extension cables.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=antenna
Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
4th Gear

Hey, did you guys know if you take your TL to an underground garage and enter your code the radio will start again? Trust me it works. I paid $100+ to reset my radio twice prior to knowing this trick. My battery died and the radio would not accept my code. Then i took it to an underground garage... and now i'm listening to lil wayne.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 PM
MANI88

yea.. LOL i got myself into it about 2 wks ago.... after hearind stuff here on the site and from friends... i went to a local IKEA garage... drove down to the basement level of it, input the code and VOILA!!! i was surprised cuz i had tried puting in the code like a million times.... but sadly same code didnt work till i took it to the garage.... factory glitch....
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Pro

Hey guys, my battery tanked after 7+ years... not bad, got a new one, changed it myself, and of course the radio code did not work. I am the original owner with the original radio card and it still did not work. I was pretty pissed. Did some searching over here, was a bit lazy to pull the side panel to unplug the antenna, so I tried a few other things first. Here is what worked for me:

I dont take credit, I saw it on another post, but I figure it may help someone searching for this problem in the future:
(this is for a 2002 typeS)

turn the key (dont start car)
hold 1 and 6 simultaneously
turn radio on
it displayed 2 4 didgit codes (I wrote them down, but didnt need them)
display then read "err4" ("4" b/c thats how many times I tried entering my code before I assume)
then I input my code from my radio card,
radio turned on like magic
sweeeeeeeeeet

thanks to everyone's help on this board

- Nick

Last edited by Turboara; 01-04-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
If taking it to an underground garage actually works, it must just be because the radio receiver cannot receive any signals there. Same as if the antenna cable is unplugged. Does that really work??
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
There's no Acura in

Turboara, interesting I'll have to try this out, but have the feeling I've already tried this (retrieving the S/N then trying the code).

I just hate pulling that side panel off 'cause I feel like I'm gonna break it every time I do it. The only thing that has worked for me was unplugging the antenna from the back of the radio (haven't tried the underground lot yet or fully surrounding my car with metal).
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Drifting

A metal building might work too.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
6th Gear

that look complicated here is a really easy way of doing it, happens to me all the time. if your radio dos no accept the code the 1st time just keep on entering the code (Err1-9) until it takes you back to Error. now disconnect your battery wait like 10 sec and plug it back in. now turn on your car and your radio you should still see Error do not enter the code. drive it around for a few min or half a day or wait till next day. next time you turn on your car, turn the radio on and enter the code repeat if it don't work. i had to wait up to 2 days so it takes the code but it will take it. i don't know if you guys are willing to wait but if your like me and don't really like taking your car apart then it's a perfect way. anyways hope it work for you guys.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Advanced

$hit, i took my panel out and now i'm having a hard time putting it back in, tried the antenna thing still didn't work either, will try the underground parking next, damn Acura, stop bragging about how advanced your car is, for a $35k car i can't even get my radio going without taking $hit apart, $hit.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ontherockx
that look complicated here is a really easy way of doing it, happens to me all the time. if your radio dos no accept the code the 1st time just keep on entering the code (Err1-9) until it takes you back to Error. now disconnect your battery wait like 10 sec and plug it back in. now turn on your car and your radio you should still see Error do not enter the code. drive it around for a few min or half a day or wait till next day. next time you turn on your car, turn the radio on and enter the code repeat if it don't work. i had to wait up to 2 days so it takes the code but it will take it. i don't know if you guys are willing to wait but if your like me and don't really like taking your car apart then it's a perfect way. anyways hope it work for you guys.
That's too many hoops to jump through- I hope I don't have this problem. Mine has accepted the code each time I had to do this.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
There's no Acura in

The 'antenna method' has never NOT worked for me...I guess make sure you have the correct code.

I still think this is an amusing issue, would like to get to the bottom of it. But taking off that side panel is such a hassle (to me). You should heat up the panel to make it more pliable vs. brittle (for those of us in colder climates).
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Totally agree, taking the side panel off is a huge pain in the *ss. Getting it back on is an even bigger pain due to the angle and the two prongs which need to slide in.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

okay, it got down to about 5 degrees last night adn when i turned my car on this morning it said "code" and didn't work... so i tried the 1 adn 6 thing with the power button adn that didnt work, now it reads ErrE... i called my acura dealership and she said only way to retrieve code is from serial number on back of radio so i can pay 110 for them to do it or rip apart everything myself? WTF, nice to wake up with this on my birthday right... somebody help me!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
There's no Acura in

1) Do you have the radio code?
2) Did you try what's mentioned in the first post of this thread?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Intermediate

if you dont want to take apart the panel, just drive it around and try the code at random times. eventually it works.

First time I reset the battery, i drove it around the block and it worked in 15 mins. Second time it worked on my third day of driving. Seems random to me. You can try the garage trick others have mentioned too.

Try not to get locked out or you'll have to pull the fuse to reset it. Just enter it in like 2-3 times then try again later.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by totaledTL
If taking it to an underground garage actually works, it must just be because the radio receiver cannot receive any signals there. Same as if the antenna cable is unplugged. Does that really work??
That would work as long as you can cut the signal receiption current; the same as removing the antenna.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 PM
There's no Acura in

I'm curious as to what the Dealer does. Do they use the disconnect antenna method or the 'go into an area of high RF attenuation'?

I noticed on my replaced transmission invoice the radio code was printed on it, which leads me to believe they had to enter it to replace the transmission/torque converter/pcm.

Don't know about the reliability of this site but it claims to be able to email you your code within 30minutes->24 hours for the price of $19 if you know the serial number: http://www.radio-code.com/Acura-Pay-Page-radio-code.htm

Last edited by newperson; 01-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 AM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by newperson
I'm curious as to what the Dealer does. Do they use the disconnect antenna method or the 'go into an area of high RF attenuation'?

I noticed on my replaced transmission invoice the radio code was printed on it, which leads me to believe they had to enter it to replace the transmission/torque converter/pcm.

Don't know about the reliability of this site but it claims to be able to email you your code within 30minutes->24 hours for the price of $19 if you know the serial number: http://www.radio-code.com/Acura-Pay-Page-radio-code.htm
Or you can call your Acura dealer with the serial number and get the code for free. There's even a way to get the serial number to show up on the display so you don't have to take the stereo out to look at the serial number.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

Op, thanks for info, just did this and took me about 25 minutes, and it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. I even finished with one screw left over lol.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by effen
Op, thanks for info, just did this and took me about 25 minutes, and it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. I even finished with one screw left over lol.
Happened to me the other day. Just put it in your console, and you'll figure out where it goes one day. It won't hurt. It's most likely a trim piece, so it's not life threatening. haha

Why does removing the radio antenna help this? What does the radio antenna have to do with this at all anyways?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
4th Gear

Once again undergorund garage worked for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ninja2113
can you tell me which garage in brooklyn you went to? I need to try this.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ninja2113
i am also having this radio code issue, I also live in Brooklyn. Which underground garage can I go to in Brooklyn or N.Y.C?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danatny
i am also having this radio code issue, I also live in Brooklyn. Which underground garage can I go to in Brooklyn or N.Y.C?
I got my radio to work without going underground by using this link: https://radio-navicode.acura.com/

just enter you vin and info...it will ask for the radio serial # which you can get from your radio by holding the 1+6 button while turning it on.

the link will guide you through and give you the code at the end.

good luck!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

ecaf005, I have the radio code but it wouldn't take it, so on my 9th(was about to go insane) try I went underground. Did what Ninja2113(thanks) said go underground, luckily I know there's an underground garage that I try on Sunday and to my freaken surprised it WORKS!!! Underground does work, I would suggest you guys to try underground first before disconnecting the antenna. Thanks for all the advices, good luck to you all. 1 problem solved, 2 more to go, my freaken horn does not work properly, works sometimes most of the times it doesn't ever since the SRS message appear, have any ideas guys?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

Oh sorry guys been a while... i went to kings plaza mall. You have to reset code on the first level towards the back of the parking lot.... stay away from the exits.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
SSM CL-S is in

thanks bro this helped a lot
Old 07-21-2009, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

before taking your whole deck apart u should consider entering the code in an area where there is no radio reception. Theres no underground garages where i live, but the mountains by my house worked perfectly.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Once again, I'm gonna revive a dead thread. I recently had my battery disconnected to reset the CEL. I was trying the antenna removal method in order to get my radio to work and I found out that the antenna is not in the place it's supposed to be in? Where else can the antenna be? I know I have one cause I can receive AM/FM channels. Someone please help me out. I included 2 pictures.

The 1st pic is where the antenna should be but it's not there, (under the slotted metal)

The 2nd pic is a random pic I took in between the radio deck. Could that possibly be the antenna cable?

Let me also bring up that I also pulled the radio fuse but to no avail. Radio still won't accept the code. I also tried driving to an underground parking structure to see if the radio code will work. No luck. Seems like the only solution would be to pull the antenna (only if I knew where the heck it is).

I also tried looking around to find that little antenna piece but still couldn't find it. Awkward..

Last edited by xtremex626; 08-15-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

If you reach behind the radio you should be able to feel the FM cable connecting to the back of the radio in the lower right corner area. The cable may not be visible from the side since it probably goes up the back of the radio.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Correction... lower left corner when facing radio. Pictures of the back of your radio can be found in this ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
No wonder.. I had to really look back there then I found a black plug and just pulled it out.. thanks for the help!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the tips

I have been looking at this problem and wondering what to do with a misplaced card. The underground thing worked for me. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Distinguish Yourself.

my radio on my CL got that err1 code on the weekend and i couldnt stand the silence in the car. haha, this fixed it. thank you death! acurazine never disappoints!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you to all on this thread and a few other threads, especially Ninja2113 who lobbies hard for the garage trick, for the help with the ridiculous radio code issue. I only registered on this site to say thank you and to confirm that the underground garage thing worked for me.

That tip saved me over $100 bucks and time and frustration of requesting reimbursement from Acura corp. (Believe me, I would have pressed them hard for reimbursement, especially since I am in market for a new car.) Also, I am not mechanically inclined or brave enough to perform the other good solutions documented here.

My experience: make sure the radio message is "code" and not the error number. Drive to garage with your radio OFF. Go under at least two levels. With car still running, turn on radio. At "code" prompt, enter your radio code. Radio should go on.

Before going to garage, after getting a new battery, I spent two days inputting the correct code multiple times and nothing would work. Both Sears guys and I maxed out on attempts, so I let car rest over night and got the "code" prompt again this morning. Went to garage as mentioned above and solution worked.

As an aside, I had this problem twice in two months, inconveniently before two long road trips. My battery was serviced a few weeks ago and the correct code did not work for a few days. Took car to Acura dealer - helpful, but they were not going to waive costs and I was prepared to pay $$$ and take it up with Acura Corp later. Anyway, the service manager input the code serveral times before he was going to formally service the car. Nothing worked. After resting it a few times, he accidentally turned the key again while the car was already on - oops - but he tried inputting the code right after that one more time and the code suddenly worked. We thought we were on to something with the jolt to the system, but maybe that jolt cleared the error messages, and because this Acura service area was one level down in an urban garage, the radio signals were blocked and the code could then be accepted. Acura dealer graciously did not charge me anything, so points for them.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience - the ease of this fix makes it worth a try if you are having this problem.

Thanks again to this community.

Threepath
The following users liked this post:
harrylj (07-12-2014)

Quick Reply: Fixed - Radio refuses to take radio code