RL: Finally stepped up to the big times...kinda

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had good luck with the welding supply store www.wiresupply.com for 4 gauge and 1/0, and they had some 2/0 pretty cheap lately as well
Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well ive been busy working on this car all day. Spent 9 hours(kind of leisurely) working on this. I am in love all over again with this. Everything is so loud and clear. There are so many features and settings and i still have to get used to this from my double din.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm speechless lol. Goob job on your build man. Anyway, did you cut off your stock battery terminal and screw to an aftermarket terminal? My negative battery terminal is loose, so I just wondering how did you do it. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
I'm speechless lol. Goob job on your build man. Anyway, did you cut off your stock battery terminal and screw to an aftermarket terminal? My negative battery terminal is loose, so I just wondering how did you do it. Thank you.

I used marine terminals so i can easily disconnect them. I did the big 3 but i wanted to keep the factory wiring in place so not to mess anything up. And thank your for the compliment. Ill be taking everything out this weekend hopefully to make it look pretty.

Last edited by Jimmay; 06-16-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Where did you get those marine terminals? I need one because most of the terminals at Autozone require me to weld it on.Thx.

Stop messing around with the sound system, its already looking good
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Racer

Where did you get those marine terminals? I need one because most of the terminals at Autozone require me to weld it on.Thx.

Stop messing around with the sound system, its already looking good
I actually got them at autozone but i know i just picked up a pair from walmart. I need to move my 4 channel amp, so i have to make a rack for it. Then i need to cover the box and shit. Im hoping to get alot of it done this weekend. I also need to order leds and stuff. There will be pictures once im done.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Pro

Best terminals I have ever used are the Monster thin multi-ring ones. See:

Of course they cost a bit, but they are infinitely reusable. I don't really like Monster stuff very much but I do appreciate the level of quality and detail on these terminals, and the ring terminals that connect to them as well.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Best terminals I have ever used are the Monster thin multi-ring ones. See:

Of course they cost a bit, but they are infinitely reusable. I don't really like Monster stuff very much but I do appreciate the level of quality and detail on these terminals, and the ring terminals that connect to them as well.
those are nice. When i replace this battery upfront maybe ill spring for a real terminal. I just like the quick disconnect of the marine ones.

Did you put a new terminal on the factory wire? And is that on the Flex? Ive always had a soft spot for those cars, and it looks like you put all your equipment in it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Pro

Yep its my Flex. And the wiring was completely redone to accommodate this battery and these terminals. I unwrapped all the grounds and powers and re-wrapped new longer, bigger wiring. It was, to say it nicely...an ordeal. But that's the way the audio game works.

And I redid the factory ground as shown in the bottom of this pic...because the factory one was not even to bare metal. Thanks Ford.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Racer

You sir, are an artist.

It looks like that engine will be fun to work on. How does it sound?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Jimmay, what processing are you using?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmay
You sir, are an artist.

It looks like that engine will be fun to work on. How does it sound?
the engine or the system? engine is meh but sound system (while still a work in progress) is amazing. MS8 processing FTW.

I wouldn't call myself an artist. Talented hack.. OK.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Racer

the engine or the system? engine is meh but sound system (while still a work in progress) is amazing. MS8 processing FTW.

I wouldn't call myself an artist. Talented hack.. OK.
What ever you want to call yourself, youre work is always so clean. I need to step it up.

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Jimmay, what processing are you using?
Im using the 9887s crossover. Why do you ask my good sir?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmay
What ever you want to call yourself, youre work is always so clean. I need to step it up.

Im using the 9887s crossover. Why do you ask my good sir?

Thanks dude!

Here's some inspiration, just finished my sub box.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Racer

Wow fourthmeal. That looks sick. I still havent messed with fiberglass, but i want to try and make some tweeter pods for the dash, but idk yet.

I have everything out right now. I need to modify the floor, make my amp rack, cover the box. I hate having no bass(although i lowered the crossover on my mids and it gave it a little extra punch.)
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Racer

Wrapping with this microfiber "suede" is a learning experience. There is no give to it what so ever. Spent probably close to 8 hours last night working on my trunk floor and the panels for the amp. Aiming to get everything finished up by next Saturday. I also have to work on my womans car...my friends wall..and work. I need more hours in the day.

Here is my 4x4 with no box in it. Usually have no finger gaps and the car sits level.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi Jimmay, did you get to replace the speakers by any chance? I want to install an infinity kappa speaker to replace the front OEM speakers. I don't plan to add an amp, I just want to replace the speakers. So i need to know whats the ohms impedance for the OEM speakers to match the aftermarket speakers. Thx.
I have a 96 RL BTW.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Racer

Hi Jimmay, did you get to replace the speakers by any chance? I want to install an infinity kappa speaker to replace the front OEM speakers. I don't plan to add an amp, I just want to replace the speakers. So i need to know whats the ohms impedance for the OEM speakers to match the aftermarket speakers. Thx.
I have a 96 RL BTW.
I did replace them, but i do not remember what impedance the factory speakers are. Im thinking 4 ohms but i could be wrong.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Drifting

oem's are 2 ohm i believe
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Pro

Sometimes I wonder if people have ears.

Most Kappa installations I've heard are unlistenable.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Really^-^, how about JBL or polk audio?
Anyway, I guess I need to get the OEm speaker out and double check the ohms. Thx anyway.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Pro

Really^-^, how about JBL or polk audio?
Anyway, I guess I need to get the OEm speaker out and double check the ohms. Thx anyway.
Keep in mind its not Infinity the brand, its the Kappa model. They do some strange things with that speaker line, like use materials that are harsh on the ear. They sound "detailed" at first, but what actually is happening is over-exaggeration of certain frequencies, which contributes to irritation and listening fatigue.

JBL which is owned by the same parent company as Infinity is one of my more favored lines of speakers. Especially bargain subwoofers, and I own an JBL MS8 processor which is a great product for what it was made to do. JBL speakers can be a little harsh as well, but I would rate them better than Kappa.

Polk actually is one of my favorite brands when it comes to budget bargain equipment. They are smooth and forgiving, but tend to not stand out in demo rooms because of this nature. In a car, with reflective surfaces everywhere and compromised locations of the speakers and the listener... this smooth forgiving nature really pays off. Especially if listened to every day, all day long. Listener fatigue is less apparent.

Now there are bajillion (is that a word? My spell check says no but my heart says yes) other brands that you can go with. Massive Audio, JL, Boston Acoustics, Cadence, Dayton, Aura, Image Dynamics (which are discontinued, might be able to find a KILLER deal), HAT, Zapco, Helix, Pioneer, Kenwood, man I could probably go on for an hour and miss some of the best. Point is, all these brands would be out of business if someone made the best speaker for everybody and everybody's budget. But they don't. We also haven't even talked about the DIY brands, the ones where you pick out your own woofer, your own tweeter, and "roll your own" setup which is how I do it in most cases.

I can tell you that in your case where you don't want to add an amp...you need to pay close attention to the efficiency of the speaker. REAL close. High efficiency has a trade-off but you need it with only 10W of relatively clean head unit power. So look into that.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Racer

Keep in mind its not Infinity the brand, its the Kappa model. They do some strange things with that speaker line, like use materials that are harsh on the ear. They sound "detailed" at first, but what actually is happening is over-exaggeration of certain frequencies, which contributes to irritation and listening fatigue.

JBL which is owned by the same parent company as Infinity is one of my more favored lines of speakers. Especially bargain subwoofers, and I own an JBL MS8 processor which is a great product for what it was made to do. JBL speakers can be a little harsh as well, but I would rate them better than Kappa.

Polk actually is one of my favorite brands when it comes to budget bargain equipment. They are smooth and forgiving, but tend to not stand out in demo rooms because of this nature. In a car, with reflective surfaces everywhere and compromised locations of the speakers and the listener... this smooth forgiving nature really pays off. Especially if listened to every day, all day long. Listener fatigue is less apparent.

Now there are bajillion (is that a word? My spell check says no but my heart says yes) other brands that you can go with. Massive Audio, JL, Boston Acoustics, Cadence, Dayton, Aura, Image Dynamics (which are discontinued, might be able to find a KILLER deal), HAT, Zapco, Helix, Pioneer, Kenwood, man I could probably go on for an hour and miss some of the best. Point is, all these brands would be out of business if someone made the best speaker for everybody and everybody's budget. But they don't. We also haven't even talked about the DIY brands, the ones where you pick out your own woofer, your own tweeter, and "roll your own" setup which is how I do it in most cases.

I can tell you that in your case where you don't want to add an amp...you need to pay close attention to the efficiency of the speaker. REAL close. High efficiency has a trade-off but you need it with only 10W of relatively clean head unit power. So look into that.
if you were a girl, id propose to you....on another note I just finished my trunk. Hit a few bumps, but i think it turn out ok for this being my first complete build where i actually finished the box. This was my first time wrapping with vinyl and suede but i think i did alright. Im happy with it for now, but i already have another setup in the works
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Pro

Lmao.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

QFT!!

I had some 6.5 Kappa comps in my accord before and god they hurt my ears... I had to change those things out ASAP!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Racer

Its that time of year again for me. My friends parting out his system, so Ill most likely be buying subs off him, and maybe some other random shit. Going to be redoing alot of shit. I want a completely (or as close to) noise free system. Probably ditching the rear fill. Im thinking about 2 12s firing in. Also might deaded the roof(it flexes like hell) and possible the floor(for comfort purposes). Pretty much redoing everything, minus the front stage. I did pick up a new 4 channel to run it though. Look for more pictures in the near future as this will be done before the first of the year, maybe even December.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Racer

Well i was bored the other day, and decided to clean up the spare tire area. It was an absolute mess down there before. I had my rear fill amp down there, which i took out of the car. I need to spend a day cleaning up all the wiring in back. This is nothing extravagant but it is 10 times better than what was down there. I need to clean up the wiring a bit more but i needed to trim them down and i dont have any ring terminals at the moment.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Racer

Picked up my new woofers. Kinda excited to try these out.

TC Sounds 3hp motors
TC Sounds white honeycomb nomex cones
Sundown NSv2 coils
Eclipse SW8100 baskets (10" spyder landings)
Quad layer 10" spyders (2 soft, 2 medium)
8ga direct leads
High roll rubber surround
3/4" brass spacers between backet & motor
Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
can't wait to see the new build
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
can't wait to see the new build
Thanks, me either. I just picked up a sheet of birch and 1/4 sheet of pine for trim panels...along with a gallon of resin. Going to try making 45s in the corner out of it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
vtec kicked in yo

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nice to see another acura build. but with only 1 sub you shouldhave done a 4th order ported through the skihole. i love them like that
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by antonio3rd
nice to see another acura build. but with only 1 sub you shouldhave done a 4th order ported through the skihole. i love them like that
I had a 4th order(4 sa 10s) going through the ski pass(kinda) but didnt do what i wanted it to do so i tore it out. It probably wasnt designed well and the subs got stinky(voltage was fine, gains set conservatively) . I measured for my new box today I just need to design one.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Racer

Well, Im changing some things around now. Going to try out a single 15 setup. Going to spend a little more time on the enclosure process and try and pull some decent numbers with this setup. Also going to be redoing the front stage. I think im going to try out Crescendo Audios new 8 inch PA mids. Also might switch to a set of AQ super tweeters(theyll fit where my tweeters are located now).

Sub details
Oz Audio Power Series motor
Recone by PSI
Triple tinsel leads going to each terminal
4 inch coil

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Nice.

Ditch the crescendo mid and go for the sundown. Better FR
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Racer

Nice.

Ditch the crescendo mid and go for the sundown. Better FR

hmmmmm. you have me thinking now. I love me some sundown products. The only thing i dont like is they are 8ohm. Id like to not wire together so i can maintain my time alignment and such.

Last edited by Jimmay; 02-18-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Drifting

You got a budget for one?

These will sound much better than both the sundown and crescendo..4 ohm, too.

http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-6ND430-1.htm
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Racer

You got a budget for one?

These will sound much better than both the sundown and crescendo..4 ohm, too.

http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-6ND430-1.htm
Kinda. Thats one reason i was going to try out the crescendos. Dirt cheap and theyve gotten decent reviews. I think i may be mistaken about the sundowns. They have a preorder for the 6.5s and they are offering 4 and 8 ohm versions so im going to shoot them an email.

Where do you find this stuff? Ive never herd of this company.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Drifting

18sound makes some of the best pro audio stuff on the market.

All that cheap stuff that folks on caco and floridaspl like is nothing compared to real pro audio.

Check out the following

18sound
JBL
B&C
Beyma
EV
Faital<My Fav

Last edited by eggyhustles; 02-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Racer

eggy,

I looked into some of those brands and they are all out of my price range

SO either crescendo, or sundown it looks like.

Quick Reply: RL: Finally stepped up to the big times...kinda