FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well apparently the blitzsafe adapter does a bit more than just fool the hu to think there's a CD changer there. I think it also does impedance matching and balancing of the line, because it does appear that the audio line isn't a straight line level.

Elduderino, with the Aux3, do you get alternator whine?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjairam
Well apparently the blitzsafe adapter does a bit more than just fool the hu to think there's a CD changer there. I think it also does impedance matching and balancing of the line, because it does appear that the audio line isn't a straight line level.
I don't think so. I think it uses an audio MUX to handle the switching, but I don't think it purposely does any of that other stuff...and it is not a balanced line, I don't think. You are saying that the Blitz is a single-ended to balanced adapter, and I don't think that it is. Also, I think that you need more wires than are used in the car to create a real balanced line.

The AUX3, however, is transformer isolated on the outputs, which allows it to be used in line on balanced signals and introduce a single-ended signal (per soundgate). I've used it this way in GM vehicles with what Soundgate said was a balanced line from the XM and it worked just fine.

And how exacly does the signal appear to not be a line level?

I have a 2004, so I don't have one of these in our TSX at present (no need). However, I have installed them into several cars without any alternator whine.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get a whine from the Aux3. The whine usually comes from the amp or HU anyways.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by CJams
I don't get a whine from the Aux3. The whine usually comes from the amp or HU anyways.
Actually, whine is more of a holistic or systemic thing.

WHen it comes from a componsnt, it is the result of poor power filtering on the power input of that component.

But most of what we deal with on this board is ground loop noise (except for video gear which has a lot of power-line filtering shortcomings.)

Ground loops exist in the connection between the devices. Kind of like a tree in the forest...can't have a ground loop without both ends of the loop.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elduderino
And how exacly does the signal appear to not be a line level?
I assumed that it wasn't because when I tried it with another switcher (from PIE) it didn't work properly, and even when I wired it into the bus without the switcher, the output from my DVD player was much lower than with the blitzsafe adapter, and did not match the other sources (XM, CD).

Last edited by rjairam; 07-12-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:43 PM
VP Electricity

DVD Audio output is often VERY low... has to do with how they downmix the stereo left and right out of 5.1. Usually it's pretty crappy how they do it on the DVD decoder itself.

With Rosen-brand DVD systems which I did consulting on, they were actually the first to use a gain amp on the DVD input to help correct this problem - otherwise you had to turn the system volume up so high you could hear the noise floor of the FM modulator.

Don't know why it didn't work with the PIE, but that's why people hear very low level signal with DVD pplayers 90% of the time.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elduderino
DVD Audio output is often VERY low... has to do with how they downmix the stereo left and right out of 5.1. Usually it's pretty crappy how they do it on the DVD decoder itself.

With Rosen-brand DVD systems which I did consulting on, they were actually the first to use a gain amp on the DVD input to help correct this problem - otherwise you had to turn the system volume up so high you could hear the noise floor of the FM modulator.

Don't know why it didn't work with the PIE, but that's why people hear very low level signal with DVD pplayers 90% of the time.

The reason DVD players are low on output is because they do not compress the dynamic range sufficiently for regular (non-home theater) sound systems. DVD was intended to have normal dialog at a normal sound level, but still leave plenty of room for loud noises such as explosions etc.

But this low sound output was even with the TV tuner mode, which does not have the dynamic range of DVD.

And with the blitzsafe adapter in line, it played at a much healthier volume.

The switcher solution I had would have worked out nice except for that because I would only use the CD-C button but the audio level was bugging me.

I don't have a scope at home right now otherwise I would have taken it to the car and measured the voltage levels.

Last edited by rjairam; 07-13-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:17 AM
VP Electricity

I know what dynamic range is... and what compression is, too, which is why later "all-in-one" Rosen devices used a compressor on the DVD audio side.

Yeah, measuring things would have been good.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Would it be possible to hook up and Ice-link, navi and an rca output at the same time? Becuase I currently use a Y-cable harness to connect my ice-link and my navi so they can work at the same time. Would I be able to connect an blitzsafe or aux3 at the same time as well?? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
VP Electricity

I don't think you need or even can use an SHOND. I think you need an AUX3 wired into the audio lines of the Icelink. Then the Icelink serves as the AUX input enabling device, but you can throw a switch to select Icelink or two other inputs.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 PM
9th Gear

I think the solution you guys have been looking for has been available for a while now... PIE has something called the X3 switch + cable.
Foud them here
Old 09-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Racer

Good find quietcoolone. I would like to get more input from our electronics experts here on the forums, or maybe from someone who has actually tried this unit.

Here is a link from Blitzsafe's forums as a response to several requests for such an adaptor. They are requesting testers in the local area.

http://blitzsafe.com/blitz_forum//di...PagePosition=1
Old 09-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
I think the solution you guys have been looking for has been available for a while now... PIE has something called the X3 switch + cable.
Foud them here
sounds like a good solution. but for navi models, inm lost...i need all 3 units (the Y harness?) to get aux sound in?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

I sent a question to PIE asking if we needed all three units but according to the response I got it looks like we don't need the Y-Harness:

"You may keep the factory XM and navigation system by using these parts;

-PIE X3 Tripple Auxiliary Input Switcher (X3)
-PIE X3-HON03 2003-Up Honda T-Harness for X3 (X3-HON03)

Simply connect the X3-HON03 harness in-line with the WHITE 14-pin XM plug behind the radio. When the radio is in XM mode you will be able to switch out of XM audio and into any of the 3-auxiliary audio inputs.

Thank you
Victor C"
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Racer

tcnjlion41 great job for asking PIE directly. Maybe this is the solution we have all been waiting for. Ive already ordered all 3 pieces from Logjam Electronics last night, hopefully this is finally it!

I would like to still hear from anyone else who is going to try this, or has tried these parts.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:21 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I asked a similar question for my 05 MDX Touring/Navi (no res).

http://www.pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214

My order should arrive this Wed. If this setup works, it should work the same on a 05 TSX. You will still need the Y cable if you have Navi in your 2005.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:22 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Here is were I ordered them from.

X3 and X3-HON03 from PIE

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=856
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=857
Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

That would be great if this worked. Doesn't seem too expensive, but I'm not sure where to mount everything. I'd probably end up using the dangling 1/8" connector approach.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know if the iPod music link works with Accords? If it works with the TSX it should work with accords.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
does that with in the TL with navi?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Racer

Just got a reply from Logjam Electronics to a post I left in their forum.
http://logjam.d3datasolutions.com/fo...?showtopic=263

Logjam Electronics just received the X3-HON03 vehicle-specific cable from P.I.E. as their latest addition to their X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter system. The X-3 system has been out for a couple of years but the X3-HON03 cable, which fits many of the '03-'05 Honda/Acura vehicles, now makes it possible to have three auxiliary audio inputs and still keep your factory XM working. Then, with the addition of the HON03-F/MM 'Y' cable, the X-3 system will even work if you have the nav option.

Some additional installation notes, the connector you need to disconnect is up in the left side of the radio, not the connector at the rear of the radio. It is difficult to reach and the panels that would seem to make it easier to access are difficult if not impossible to remove. Use a knife to cut away the grey foam metal foil tape, then peel it back which will expose another 12-pin connector. Disconnect this connector and insert the HON03-F/MM 'Y' adaptor. Connect the X3-HON03 cable to one socket on the HON03-F/MM and the factory XM connector to the other socket. Finish the remaining install steps that come with the X-3 and you're good to go. Important Note: Before attempting this installation, actually, before buying the components, be sure your vehicle has the concealed 12-pin connector or this install will not work. If you have a non-navigation equipped vehicle, you can use the HON03-F/MM at the connector at the rear of the radio and not have to use the concealed connector.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

arch - I wish I could have read that post on Monday when I was doing the install. For like an hour I was beating my head trying to figure out where that connector was - finally I came across what I thought was it and cut away the foil tape that you mentioned - luckily it was it. I've had some problems with the functionality since install - XM sound only plays out of the right channel and my Ipod sound doesn't work at all. I've been in contact with PIE and DiscountCarStereo.com support and it looks like they are going to ship me a new set of components: X3 and X3-HON03.

Anyone else have luck with the install?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Guinea Pig

Luckily my setup works perfect so I don't need to deal with this issue anymore. But all the talk from all the manufacturers has proveed nothing to us yet. Has there been any solid proof from anyone that there is an actual plug and play device that works for 05nav and xm? The mfr will tell you it works all day long to get the sale, but has anyone used a fully functional plug and play device yet?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

I get mine today. Even though the install will be on a 2005 MDX/Touring Navi the idea should be the same for a 2005 TSX/Navi. Stay tuned.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Just got it. I'll try to install it before Friday and let everyone know the results. My install will be on a 05 MDX Touring/Navi but it should be the same for the 05 TSX with Navi as well. Cross your fingers that this allows XM and an external RCA connection to work

Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Racer

Awesome! I get mine friday, but I wont get time to play with any of it or have anything installed until next weekend. At least Sigmachi96 will let us know if it works.

tcnjlion41 I hope they were just defective parts and the replacements will work perfectly. Is your car a TSX with navi or no navi? Im anxious to hear about this finally working properly. All I ever wanted was a dvd player+tv tuner in my new car.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Great news everyone, the X3 works! I can use XM and my iPod at the same time in my 05 MDX Touring/Navi (no res). Rather than selecting the AUX button, you keep XM enabled and hit the selector on the X3. There is also a small power wire on the X3 harness (red) that I plugged into the MDX auxillary power outlet. I also didn't have to use the original spliter (HON-3-F/MM) since the X3 connector already has one by default. Here are a couple of quick pictures of the install.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Racer

Great news sigmachi96! Is it having any side effects or functionality issues? Sounds like everything is perfect. Other people with other adapters experienced issues with their nav voice guide only being active with the radio on, sound clips in and out after a couple of seconds then works perfectly. Just wondering if you noticed anything different.

My parts come in tomorrow! I cant wait, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to at least install the PIE components for now. I can just run a dvd audio line, and other sources to test it from there.

That switch looks a little bigger than I expected. Going to have to plan where to mount it. Have you decided yet? Also when you select a source on the switch, do you have to press it 3-4 times to cycle through all the inputs, or does it detect only 1-2 inputs are used and only switch between them? Is the switch illuminated?

I guess I'll find all this out myself soon, just hoping to get an idea early.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by arch
Great news sigmachi96! Is it having any side effects or functionality issues? Sounds like everything is perfect. Other people with other adapters experienced issues with their nav voice guide only being active with the radio on, sound clips in and out after a couple of seconds then works perfectly. Just wondering if you noticed anything different.

My parts come in tomorrow! I cant wait, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to at least install the PIE components for now. I can just run a dvd audio line, and other sources to test it from there.

That switch looks a little bigger than I expected. Going to have to plan where to mount it. Have you decided yet? Also when you select a source on the switch, do you have to press it 3-4 times to cycle through all the inputs, or does it detect only 1-2 inputs are used and only switch between them? Is the switch illuminated?

I guess I'll find all this out myself soon, just hoping to get an idea early.
No side effects so far (knock on wood). I mounted my switch with double stick tape just to the right of the pedals. The line isn't that long so I couldn't run it to the center console. Unfortunately it is not smart enought to know what inputs are being used so you do have to cycle thru all the inputs even though you are not using them all (CD, Aux1, Aux2, Aux3). The switch is illuminated with very dim red. Good luck on your install.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

sigmachi96,
Will this work with an '04 TSX in such a way that you could connect an iceLink Plus to the "XM" connector and control it, and connect something else to the AUX A/V connections?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:23 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
sigmachi96,
Will this work with an '04 TSX in such a way that you could connect an iceLink Plus to the "XM" connector and control it, and connect something else to the AUX A/V connections?
Hmm, not sure about this type of setup since the X3 has the built is Y spliter (Navi/XM input -> X3 harness -> Navi). I am not sure what would happen if you used another spliter to include the Dension Ice-Link connector. The X3 unit has three RCA Aux outputs and it own input harness as seen in my prior pictures. You would have to send a note to PIE (www.pie.net) to determine if you could use a Dension IceLink input as the primary AUX connection since the 04 doesn't have XM.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Does anyone have an update on this setup installed in a 05 tsx with navi?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
Does anyone have an update on this setup installed in a 05 tsx with navi?
I have all the components discussed above that are necessary. I wont be able to work on it until another weekend. However sigmachi got his to work on the MDX navi, which according to everyone out there should be identical to the 05 TSX navi.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:59 AM
10th Gear

I've tried installing in a 2005 Accord with XM/Navigation and I'm having problems. XM sound is only coming out of the right channel and no AUX sound plays at all. I've contacted PIE and a discountcarstereo but they offered me no solutions other than shipping me another set of X3/X3-HON03 components. I received them the other day and the new X3 switch they sent made matters worse - I could no longer hear any sound via XM or AUX. Not sure where to go from here.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by arch
Just got a reply from Logjam Electronics to a post I left in their forum.
http://logjam.d3datasolutions.com/fo...?showtopic=263

Logjam Electronics just received the X3-HON03 vehicle-specific cable from P.I.E. as their latest addition to their X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter system. The X-3 system has been out for a couple of years but the X3-HON03 cable, which fits many of the '03-'05 Honda/Acura vehicles, now makes it possible to have three auxiliary audio inputs and still keep your factory XM working. Then, with the addition of the HON03-F/MM 'Y' cable, the X-3 system will even work if you have the nav option.

Some additional installation notes, the connector you need to disconnect is up in the left side of the radio, not the connector at the rear of the radio. It is difficult to reach and the panels that would seem to make it easier to access are difficult if not impossible to remove. Use a knife to cut away the grey foam metal foil tape, then peel it back which will expose another 12-pin connector. Disconnect this connector and insert the HON03-F/MM 'Y' adaptor. Connect the X3-HON03 cable to one socket on the HON03-F/MM and the factory XM connector to the other socket. Finish the remaining install steps that come with the X-3 and you're good to go. Important Note: Before attempting this installation, actually, before buying the components, be sure your vehicle has the concealed 12-pin connector or this install will not work. If you have a non-navigation equipped vehicle, you can use the HON03-F/MM at the connector at the rear of the radio and not have to use the concealed connector.
tcnjlion41,

Did you try Arch's suggestion from Logjam's response? I can't image that the Accord, TSX and MDX would be much different. Where did you plug in the red wire for power on the X3 harness? Also, did you try using all three AUX outputs?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Guinea Pig

I thought the MDX and the TSX were a bit different. Still waiting for a TSX review. 05 TSX w/Nav and XM to be more precise!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
tcnjlion41,

Did you try Arch's suggestion from Logjam's response? I can't image that the Accord, TSX and MDX would be much different. Where did you plug in the red wire for power on the X3 harness? Also, did you try using all three AUX outputs?
So you used just the X3 and the X3-HON03 (T-Harness)? No need for the HON03-F/MM, right? According to PIE and DiscountCarStereo, all that is needed is the X3 and X3-HON03 (T-Harness), which is what I've been trying to use. I've spliced the red power wire into the 12v source used for the cigarette lighter - the X3 is definitely getting power since I'm able to switch from CD -> X1 -> X2 -> X3. I can't tell from your pictures and I'm not sure if the MDX and TSX (Accord) are different but did you connect the X3-HON03 directly to the back of the headunit or did you plug it into another connector that is connected to the headunit?

Not sure if this makes sense but before install here's how the TSX/Accord is wired:
XM wire/connector -> Headunit wire/connector -> Headunit

After install:
X3 -> X3-HON03 -> Headunit wire/connector -> Headunit and the XM wire/connector is plugged into the X3-HON03's open female connector.

I really don't want to take the whole headunit out to see if I'm missing something, especially since everything I've removed/spliced while attempting this install has far exceeded my wildest intentions of things I'd attempt on my car...haha. Anyways, I'm going to contact PIE, Logjam and DiscountStereo support in the same email and see if we can hash something out - I just don't understand why Logjam says you need the HON03-F/MM in addition to the X3 and X3-HON03 (T-harness) and PIE is claiming you don't - bottom line, I want to get this thing to work and I'm willing to drop another 20-30$ on the HON03-F/MM but I want verification that it is what I need.

I'll keep you guys posted and you guys do the same.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by tcnjlion41
So you used just the X3 and the X3-HON03 (T-Harness)? No need for the HON03-F/MM, right? According to PIE and DiscountCarStereo, all that is needed is the X3 and X3-HON03 (T-Harness), which is what I've been trying to use. I've spliced the red power wire into the 12v source used for the cigarette lighter - the X3 is definitely getting power since I'm able to switch from CD -> X1 -> X2 -> X3. I can't tell from your pictures and I'm not sure if the MDX and TSX (Accord) are different but did you connect the X3-HON03 directly to the back of the headunit or did you plug it into another connector that is connected to the headunit?

Not sure if this makes sense but before install here's how the TSX/Accord is wired:
XM wire/connector -> Headunit wire/connector -> Headunit

After install:
X3 -> X3-HON03 -> Headunit wire/connector -> Headunit and the XM wire/connector is plugged into the X3-HON03's open female connector.

I really don't want to take the whole headunit out to see if I'm missing something, especially since everything I've removed/spliced while attempting this install has far exceeded my wildest intentions of things I'd attempt on my car...haha. Anyways, I'm going to contact PIE, Logjam and DiscountStereo support in the same email and see if we can hash something out - I just don't understand why Logjam says you need the HON03-F/MM in addition to the X3 and X3-HON03 (T-harness) and PIE is claiming you don't - bottom line, I want to get this thing to work and I'm willing to drop another 20-30$ on the HON03-F/MM but I want verification that it is what I need.

I'll keep you guys posted and you guys do the same.

Thanks.
Yes, I only used the X3 harness and X3 main unit. I don't believe you need the HON03-F/MM for the X3 as it already has the splitter. Does your Accord headunit have another input to where you could connect the X3 harness? The MDX had three plugs in the back of the headunit and I used the middle one. My only thought would be to get a small mirror to see what other connections are available in the back of the headunit if you didn't take the headunit all the way out. I am confident that the X3 should work. If you take some pictures of back of the headunit we might be able to help you more.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

SUCCESS!!! No thanks to Logjam, DiscountCarStereo and PIE support - none of them made mention of having to go to the back of the headunit - see Arch's post from the Logjam forum above.

Thanks sigmachi - it crossed my mind to look at the back of the headunit but you're install/posts finally gave me enough confidence to dive into the dashboard and take a look at the headunit.

I will post pics later tonight.

Just a word of warning - this install is not for the faint at heart. At certain points, you must treat your car like its someone elses...haha - no damage done though except my center console door requires a little more pressure to open and close but I am definitely willing to exchange that for an Aux input while retaining XM/NAV/6CD functionality.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 PM
10th Gear

This took a lot of self convincing to get to this step - not a pretty sight for someone who doesn't even like changing a headlight (haha..just kidding - I'm not that bad but it was still pretty f'n scary) :

Here's a couple pictures from behind the headunit - I was told from all the support forums and support emails that you didn't have to go back here but it turns out you do - the X3-HON03 is the white connection plugged into the head unit and the existing connector that plugged into the HU now plugs into the HON03 (seen in the top of the first picture):

I spliced the HON03's red wire (power source) into the 12v source for the cigarette lighter - as mentioned earlier, I didn't know you had to get behind the HU so I went this route instead of splicing into the 12v HU source, which I'm not sure where that is:

Another shot of the guts underneath the HU - you can see the red 12v wire and the actual t-harness wires from the HON03 hanging down from behind the HU:

My baby back together:

I ran the RCA adapter wire and the X3's remote underneath the shifter but they poke out before the e-break/cupholder compartment along the side of the driver side seat - they're pretty much concealed but I still plan on running them through the e-break/cup holder compartment into the center console:

Functionality is working perfectly!!

Last edited by tcnjlion41; 10-11-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!