FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dension iPod interface

Originally Posted by elduderino
I taked with a tech guy and with the president of the company (he and I must have spoken for like 45 minutes - really nice guy!)

I don't think that they do a lot of internal communiucation pre-launch.

I have been told that there is a pass-through for XM AND a set of RCA inputs. I don't have HARD pricing yet.
I spoke with Dension sales today.
They said 30 days and you be able to keep XM with their interface.
Little more money who will win the race Blitzsafe or Dension.
On your mark get set GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I am a Dension dealer too. I don't accept their launch projections at all.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:23 PM
abs
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions about the forthcoming miracle...

Hi-

Brand new to the forum and the car (2005 Silver/Ebony, Auto w/Nav) - just got it 2 days ago!!!

If this adapter comes out and it does allow users to keep XM, does it also allow users to keep their CD Changer as well?

Also, if you keep XM and CD, how does one access the signal coming through the interface's RCA's? What I mean is, what button do you press on the headunit to hear the signal from your connected iPod or Sirius, et al.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Question Dension

I am a Dension dealer too. I don't accept their launch projections at all.
WHY?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:40 AM
VP Electricity

Don't yell.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Racer

I spoke to someone at Dension in early May about getting an IceLink that'd work with the Navi, and also allow me to keep my add-on Sirius tuner. He let me know about a new IceLink version that does this, and allows for 3-4 extra aux inputs in addition to the iPod (you use cd-changer disc number to change sources).

I called back in early June like he said, he said they have it ready to ship and he'd call me back in a few moments with a price on it so I could order it.

That was two weeks ago.

-vasu
Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by abs
Hi-

Brand new to the forum and the car (2005 Silver/Ebony, Auto w/Nav) - just got it 2 days ago!!!

If this adapter comes out and it does allow users to keep XM, does it also allow users to keep their CD Changer as well?

Also, if you keep XM and CD, how does one access the signal coming through the interface's RCA's? What I mean is, what button do you press on the headunit to hear the signal from your connected iPod or Sirius, et al.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
External (trunk/console) changer? Probably not. This is a different issue. I don't think you can have more than one external changer on the bus, and since the aux adapter already mimics a CD changer, that's a problem..

The internal (6 disc in dash) changer remains unaffected.

To access the Aux you need to press CD/SAT or CD/AUX until the display says CD-C.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Dension

Don't yell.
Not yelling just asking why?
Peace
Old 06-19-2005, 12:55 PM
VP Electricity

Because when talking to their tech support and product people, they seem very disorganized - giving off the cuff info that conflicts other people's info - and because I suspect that the Best Buy account is overwhelming their resources. They'll be lucky if BB doesn't drive them out of business.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 PM
abs
Cruisin'

rjairam-

Actually what I meant by CD changer (but didn't state well enough) was the changer in the dash, not an external one in the trunk, so thanks for clarifying that.

So if I understand correctly, this adapter (should it allow users to keep XM) would in effect create a third input? As in, "CD", "XM", & "CDC"? Do I have that right? Or am I completely not getting it?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by abs
rjairam-

Actually what I meant by CD changer (but didn't state well enough) was the changer in the dash, not an external one in the trunk, so thanks for clarifying that.

So if I understand correctly, this adapter (should it allow users to keep XM) would in effect create a third input? As in, "CD", "XM", & "CDC"? Do I have that right? Or am I completely not getting it?

Thanks!

Yes you are correct. You will get:

CD -> XM1 -> XM2 -> CD-C

Probably not in that order though.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:34 PM
abs
Cruisin'

That's great news - hopefully we'll see this unit soon, and then I can resume feeding my Sirius addiction in high quality aux-input fidelity!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
VP Electricity

Got an email from Blitz today - my order is supposed to ship at the end of this week!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by abs
That's great news - hopefully we'll see this unit soon, and then I can resume feeding my Sirius addiction in high quality aux-input fidelity!
So you're saying you have both XM and Sirius?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Blitzsafe

Got an email from Blitz today - my order is supposed to ship at the end of this week!
Where and how much?
Peace.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
abs
Cruisin'

Do I have both XM & Sirius?... well, yes, technically I do... I have the 3 months free XM going currently in the TSX, and I had/have a Sirius PNP unit in my old car, which I currently cannot listen to b/c it's not hooked up in the TSX.

Once this adapter comes out, Sirius goes into the TSX ASAP!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Racer

Any word on this yet?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Any word yet? Come on guys, it's the end of the week, don't keep us hanging!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
VP Electricity

Got a phone call this weekend telling me that they weren't finished doing in-car testing and maybe the end of the week. (I KNEW it would take longer than they weresaying : )

Have an email into them now... we'll see. Sorry, guys, I want them bad too, but I'm sure that it will be any day. (Especially since my SHOND doesn't work).
Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 PM
VP Electricity

BTW< look at the awful hack the Subaru owners are doing:
http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357
Old 07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Question Ipod Aux input and keep XM

Got a phone call this weekend telling me that they weren't finished doing in-car testing and maybe the end of the week. (I KNEW it would take longer than they weresaying : )

Have an email into them now... we'll see. Sorry, guys, I want them bad too, but I'm sure that it will be any day. (Especially since my SHOND doesn't work).
Well who do think will win Blitzsafe or Dension?
I miss my iPod in my car I loved it in my 2004 MDX.
And the race goes on.
Whoever does it first get's my buisness.
Let me know.
Peace.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 AM
abs
Cruisin'

Thanks for the update, elduderino - please keep them coming!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Any updates?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 PM
VP Electricity

1/2 of the way through the day I got a call from the SPCA and got to go pick up our new puppy. So I didn't get most of what I was supposed to do, done, today.

I did get one TSX kit out the door 3-day air for a guy for the meetup this weekend... and we have a bunch more ready to pack up. But I didn't make most of the phone calls I was supposed to make. Sigh.

Oh, well, get to do it all again tomorrow : )
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 PM
VP Electricity

Blitz changed their story today... to me, at least. Now the new Honda and Acura adapters WITHOUT XM are due any day and the units with XM compatibility are due soon but "we will not commit to a date".
Old 07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Racer

Thats too bad about the XM Compatible units not being available yet. I figured I waited a year for a TSX, so I can wait a little longer to mod it some more.

So from what I understand so far, am I correct to assume this new unit is compatible with Navi and without?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blitzsafe has pushed this thing back for like a month now.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Guinea Pig

I just ordered both the service manual and the electrical manual for the 05 TSX. Hopefully I will be able to figure out that damn aux input plug. I need to get my video sound working before HIN.

Damn blitzsafe....how long does it take to figure it out?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 PM
VP Electricity

CJ, all you need is to figure out which wires are audio lines in that XM tuner plug, and then run them through that AUX3... I'm going back to that now at the shop.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Guinea Pig

I figured it should be that easy. Does anyone know which wires they are? I have a feeling I know, but I don't wanna risk cutting and connecting the wrong thing. Especially since the OEM HU costs like $1200-1400 to replace.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced

CJ, all you need is to figure out which wires are audio lines in that XM tuner plug, and then run them through that AUX3... I'm going back to that now at the shop.

Ok, what is the aux3?

All I needed to do was wire dpdt switches on the audio lines to turn OFF the aux adapter's audio lines when I was using XM. I didn't need an aux3. This works nicely, but the only problem is that I have to select CD-C AND flip a switch, which isn't convenient in my book.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:31 AM
VP Electricity

An AUX3 is just a prepackaged version of what you did, with an attractive 3-position rocker switch, and THREE inputs.

That's what we intalled a couple of weeks ago into madgame's 1997 RL, and he had been told he could not add Sirius or an iPod direct without losing his external changer.

We added both : )
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by rjairam
Ok, what is the aux3?

All I needed to do was wire dpdt switches on the audio lines to turn OFF the aux adapter's audio lines when I was using XM. I didn't need an aux3. This works nicely, but the only problem is that I have to select CD-C AND flip a switch, which isn't convenient in my book.

I couldn't find a good descriptive pic on the net when I was looking for one.

The Soundgate aux3 has 3 inputs and 1 out. The long black chord you see has a 3 section switch. When the switch is set to (II) neutral, you get your XM, when you select(I) you get say your DVD player and when set to (III) you get your iPod.

How did you...."wire dpdt switches on the audio lines to turn OFF the aux adapter's audio lines when I was using XM"....?????

Can you explain to me?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Instructor

CJAMS- so you have aux 3 in your car on a 2005 with nav and you have xm and your audio from your dvd player and it all works perfect? Did you lose any touch screen functions or is the volume of the xm or dvd lower than before? What exactly does Blitz have coming that we need to get this to work? Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by dizzy1
CJAMS- so you have aux 3 in your car on a 2005 with nav and you have xm and your audio from your dvd player and it all works perfect? Did you lose any touch screen functions or is the volume of the xm or dvd lower than before? What exactly does Blitz have coming that we need to get this to work? Thanks
My audio auxillary audio doesn't currently work. I have the aux 3 installed, connected to my tv tuner and ready to go. It's just not connected to the HU aux input as of yet. Still waiting to find the right wires to connect to. I have been busy doing other things in the car (building sub box,t-shooting noise humm,etc). I also just ordered the 05 wiring troubleshooting manual and the service manual from helms. So if all goes well my aux sounds will be up by next weekend. I'm not waiting for Blitzsafe or anyone anymore. I will most likely just start splicing wires to figure it out.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by CJams
Still waiting to find the right wires to connect to.
Try this thread
Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Try this thread
How did I miss that thread?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Instructor

If you try the relays in the other thread, let us know how it works out in the TSX, looks like I might just have to get a dvd player and a video converter going.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJams
How did you...."wire dpdt switches on the audio lines to turn OFF the aux adapter's audio lines when I was using XM"....?????

Can you explain to me?
On the blitzsafe adapter's cable, there are two grey wires. Those are the audio cables. Wire DPST or DPDT switches in series with them. One pole for the ground (shield) and one pole for the signal wire (center conductor). Do this for both (L and R). Turn ON when you want aux and turn OFF when you want XM.

The reason you have to do this is because the aux adapter causes a load on the audio lines even when it's not selected. Blitzsafe has acknowledged this and they said that it will be fixed in the next revision of the aux adapter.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
VP Electricity

That is certainly a functional solution. You are essentially making your own manual source switcher. It does require you to run the audio wires all the wy to your switch location and back - something I am not too hot on doing.

Also, once you decide to mod the XM wires, it should be noted that the only purpose of getting the Blitzsafe harness is to have an easier place to reach the wires for modification. There is no need for the BLitzsafe at all at this point - you might as well just get the Honda "Y" cable.

The reason I say this is that the Blitz throws an irreleveant screen up there which has nothing to do with the input you are actually using. Its only real purpose is to activate the AUX input. Well, now the XM activates the AUX input. Me personally, I'd rather still have the XM On-Screen-Display and be hearing my iPod than spend more money to have a useless CD Changer screen on screen while hearing my iPod.

If you want to avoid taking the audio wires very far, I would use 1 toggle switch and 4 relays instead of the 2 switches. You will need so have an RCA cable to cut one end off of for any of these solutions.

Designate two relays as Left and two relays as Right. Designate one as R (+) and one as R(-), and one as L(+) and one as L (-).

Get an SPST switch (a two-pin toggle). Ground one side of the switch.

Take the other side to Pin 85 of each of FOUR Bosch-style VF4-form-factor 30/40A automotive relays. Every stereo store will have them.

Take Pin 86 of all four relays to fused 12V accessory.

Take Pin 30 of the R (+) relay to the HU side of the audio (+) wire.
Take Pin 87A of the R(+) relay to the XM side of the audio (+) wire.
Take Pin 87 of the R(+) relay to the R (+) wire from the new source.

Take Pin 30 of the R (-) relay to the HU side of the audio (-) wire.
Take Pin 87A of the R(-) relay to the XM side of the audio (-) wire.
Take Pin 87 of the R(-) relay to the R (-) wire from the new source.

Repeat for the L relays.

Now a single switch triggers the relays, and the switch can go anywhere without the signal wires having to go there - just a single ground trigger wire. Stash the relays to the side of the console outboard of the big pocket.

Or you can just buy an AUX3 and have two of these in a box smaller than a cigarette pack. Ten you just need to get power, ground, and a place for their switch - and take a 3' RCA and chop it in half and use it to interface to the OEM audio lines. From what I hear, Soundgate is approaching the car this way - they just are having trouble getting the cables for the interface harness.

Last edited by elduderino; 07-09-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!