FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-MOD
A friend of mine who works for a stereo shop tried the same thing your talking about for his 04 TL. It didn't work on his car which is about the same setup as the TSX/Accord. Let us know if you have better luck with it

D.

Hmm. Okay. I'll try it anyway. Thanks for letting me know.

What problem was he having exactly though?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
It never switched Audio sources. It acted like it couldn't see the second source turn on.

D.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I-MOD
It never switched Audio sources. It acted like it couldn't see the second source turn on.

D.

Hmm. Interesting.

FWIW, I tried it out using my laptop as one audio source and my dvd player as another. It seemed to switch okay.

I should be trying it out tomorrow in the car. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear

The parts list to make this thing happen seems to be getting pretty long. When you figure it out please include a final description of your set up with a parts list. Thanks for all your work and information.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Okay, so I tried it today and it worked.

I now have aux only on CD-C and it switches back to XM only when I go to XM.

Any questions?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Advanced

Well that last reply was hurried as I had to put the car back together to go pick up my g/f from work.

But it works, and I can switch to CD-C and XM seamlessly.

Here's the details -

The Y-cable has the aux switcher spliced in.

XM is the controlling source and the DVD player is the secondary source.

I had to use a GLI between the XM and the aux switcher. XM and the bus is probably floating ground hence the noise issue. I have to investigate further.

When you switch to XM, the aux switcher switches in XM without delay.

When you switch to CD-C, there is a 10 sec delay and it falls back to the AUX source.

The sound is slightly chopped off on the highs. Therefore this fix isn't perfect but it's usable.

The ideal fix would be for soundgate/blitzsafe/whoever to disconnect from the bus when CD-C is not selected. I'm thinking about hacking up something based on GNUnilink since that would be easier than decoding the Honda bus myself. (I'm no expert on this sort of stuff, just eager to learn).
Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Has anyone tried this: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web....0@.ef21932/87

...on a 2005 TSX w/Navi?
Old 12-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mega
Has anyone tried this: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web....0@.ef21932/87

...on a 2005 TSX w/Navi?

If it's the same as the 04 accords with XM and navi, I'm pretty sure it won't work.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

XM won't go away

So I have my adapter installed in my 04 accord. I don't care about XM, but its still there! The mode will not switch to CD-C. Has anyone had this problem? I've disconnected the battery and it still doesn't work. The weird thing is that the XM is still receiving text (PREVIEW, etc) but I hear no audio. Is there a tuner somewhere to disconnect?? Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by akmovieman
So I have my adapter installed in my 04 accord. I don't care about XM, but its still there! The mode will not switch to CD-C. Has anyone had this problem? I've disconnected the battery and it still doesn't work. The weird thing is that the XM is still receiving text (PREVIEW, etc) but I hear no audio. Is there a tuner somewhere to disconnect?? Any ideas?

You got me stumped. Are you sure you pulled the correct cable?

You're supposed to see CD-C and XM is supposed to go away. Unplugging the bus cable was supposed to have done it.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Instructor

The XM channel numbers (i.e. text) will still be there. That's what happened on my Accord. All I had to do was to turn on the second source that I wanted (in my case, the DVD player) and I heard sound through the speakers, although I still had XM radio text displayed. Sometimes it would display CD-C, but the source has to be in the "on" position in order for that to work (I think).

If that doesn't work, then I have no idea what happened.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:19 PM
10th Gear

ARGH!!! So I tried to see if I heard the audio when I saw XM, no go. I am pretty sure I pulled the right cable, it was wrapped in EPT sealer and blue tape. It was connected and when I disconnected I basically had a male and a female connector that match up with the connectors on the adapter.

Humperdood, are you using the Blitzsafe adapter or a modified soundgate? I tried my friend's modified soundgate (which he uses in his TSX with nav) and it still doesn't work. Is it possible that new vin accords have some sort of different setup?

I am so frustrated I ordered another blitzsafe adapter but Logjam and Blitzsafe are backordered. Are there any other solutions?? ARGH!!! DRIVING ME CRAZY! I had an 04 accord without nav that got totalled by a drunk driver so I treated myself to the GPS and now no IPOD. Damn hi-tech maps!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Instructor

akmovieman, at first I used the Blitzsafe adapter. Since I had navigation, I had one extra female bus cable end that nothing plugged into. I was worried about this (because I'm an engineer and I don't like extra parts). This did not work because I wanted to keep my XM radio (I love the comedy channel). So I went to a mod meet in Alexandria, VA, and I-MOD hooked up a Soundgate adapter for me. He had to splice a wire into the power wire on the bus cable in order to get it to work. I would PM him if you want more details. This weekend I might be able to take my dash apart and tell you what wires you need and what to splice. Don't worry, it took him about 5 minutes, and he even installed a switch.

Let me warn you. When you first try out the sound, after you get this hooked up, turn the engine on and then listen to your XM source. I made the mistake of not doing that, and as soon as I turned on the engine and drove off, there was this high pitched alternator whine (I think) that came on XM whenever I listened to it. It was OK at first, but then it just started to drive me crazy, so I disconnected the Soundgate adapter. Now I went back to the FM modulated setup because I listen to CDs and XM a lot more.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Advanced

Removing power to the Aux adapter will work but it is not a complete solution to the problem. The audio portion of the aux adapter is still connected to the bus. If you notice, with this arrangerment the volume on XM is lower than if the Aux adapter wasn't connected.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

any new developments on this? anyone have any luck?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

Hon/aux Dmx V.1b

HON/AUX DMX V.1B

Has anyone heard anything about this product from Blitzsafe? Are they going to make a version that is compatible with XM?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:38 PM
6th Gear

I have an idea regarding this issue and I emailed Dension about it. I'm still waiting for a response. I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 Coupe with Nav and XM. My idea is to use the Honda 2 port bus cable splitter and hook up the XM to one of the ports and the IceLink Plus to the other port. This gives a direct bus connection instead of using something like the SNHOND3 or Blitzsafe that uses RCA cables. I'm thinking it would let you use and switch between both without problems and hopefully have no alternator noise. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

-Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 TSX W/O Navigation

Please
Anybody!
I just want to keep my XM and add an Aux input.
You all have been a great help and I share your frustration.

Originally Posted by jtblueberry
I'm glad somebody is still trying to resolve all these issues. Good luck. I wish I knew a little more about this stuff so I could help.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:33 AM
6th Gear

Well, I went ahead and tried it. It worked, sort of. I have my factory nav, factory XM, and iPod in my car. I can even control my iPod with the steering wheel. The only problem I have is that the volume (expecially upper frequencies) is muffled with the XM. As soon as I disconnect the IceLink Plus from the bus the sound jumps up to where it should be. Reconnect the IceLink Plus and the volume drops again. I need to figure out which wires on the IceLink Plus are causing the issue and install a switch. Then I should be good to go.

The parts I used were the IceLink Plus from Dension and Honda 2-port bus adapter (part # 08A31-0F1-000). I actually used a Honda audio harness as well (followed the instructions on Logjam for installing with Nav) but I ended up not even needing it. That was a waste of $42.00. Oh well... I got more work to do.

Anyone know which wires on the IceLink Plus need to be disconnected from the bus to get the XM volume normal? And which Radio Shack switch would work for that?

-Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 02:00 AM
6th Gear

How do I make this switch?

Originally Posted by rjairam
humperdood (and others),

By the way, I have a slight mod for those of you who still want to use the switch.

Cutting the power to the soundgate or blitzsafe adapter is going to work, but that's not the best solution. The best solution is to cut the audio wires on the bus when you want to listen to DVD/MP3/iPod. That way, the aux adapter always has power, and there is nothing to interfere with the XM tuner's audio when you're not in CD-C mode.

You can use a double pole switch, OR you can wire up a single pole switch with two small relays (RS cat# 275-232, make sure you use a 5v regulator for the coil or you will burn it).

So your switch will work like before, and you won't have to have it on when you start your car, since the aux adapter will always have power (from the bus).
rjairam,

I think this is what I'm looking for. I understand everything up until the double pole/single pole with relays bit. What's the difference between the two ways? Also, what is the 5v regulator? I think it's something like a resistor so the switch doesn't receive too much power. Is this right? That means the switch receives power? If so, where from? Also, I think the two audio cables have three wires each connecting to the bus plug (the two wires plus the sheilding). Do you just ignore the shielding part? Thanks for the help.

-Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AUTOTOYS.com

Originally Posted by bbalestier
Please
Anybody!
I just want to keep my XM and add an Aux input.
You all have been a great help and I share your frustration.

Well does anybody know these guys they say this will work but i don't want to throw money in the toilet.
I've sent them several emails no responce in 24 hour who are they?

Good luck.
They say this should work.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/HO...d_0_p_200.html
Old 04-08-2005, 02:53 AM
6th Gear

I finally got mine working perfectly. Here's the full rundown:

I have a 2005 Accord with factory nav/XM. I used the Honda 2 port bus splitter (p/n 08A31-0F1-000) and have the XM and IceLink Plus for my iPod connected to the two bus ports. I am using the IceLink Plus so that I have steering wheel controls. I am also hoping Dension is able to get text to work with the Honda nav in the future. The IceLink Plus is flash upgradeable. I had the problem of muffled XM audio with it set up this way, but I could easily switch between the XM and ipod. If I disconnected the IceLink Plus from the bus port the XM audio wasn't muffled. As it turns out, the IceLink Plus (and apparently almost all other aux adapters) constantly passes some type of audio signal through the bus at all times. That's what is causing the muffled sound.

To figure out what wires were causing the problem (from previous posts I suspected the audio wires in gray jackets) I started cutting wires to determine the cause. The audio wires which I cut first turned out to be the correct ones. These were both in gray jackets. Inside one was a white wire with bare wire wrapped around. The other has a red wire with bare wire wrapped around.

I tried using relays on the audio wires with a single switch as my trigger at first, but for some reason the stereo wouldn't recognize the XM or the IceLink Plus interface. So what I ended up doing was putting a DPST (double pole, single throw) switch in each audio pair (signal/ground or +/-?). I got these from Radio Shack (cat # 275-327: a switch kit which you have to buy two of because it only has one DPST switch).

All I have to do now is flip the two switches when alternating between XM and ipod. I do suspect lower highs on XM as someone else in a previous post, but it's not really noticeable and I'm probably just paranoid and/or overly critical.

I spoke to Dension tech support about getting the XM to work with the IceLink Plus. The tech I spoke to seemed surprised that it worked, but didn't seem too interested especially when I told him about the muffled sound. Now that I have it working perfectly I will send them the details so they can maybe find a way to shut off the audio internally when the IceLink Plus isn't selected on the stereo.

I assume this would all work with the other auxillary input adapters and on some other Honda and Accura cars, but don't quote me on that as I am not an expert.

-Mike

Last edited by mkhalper; 04-08-2005 at 02:56 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Would this work with what I am trying to do. I have nav, and ice-link and want to install a blitzsafe/shond3 for a dvd player that I am going to install later. I don't want to use an FM modulator, so how would I go about hooking all of this up? Right now I am using the y bus cable to hook up my nav and my ice-link. I was just thinking about getting the shond3 from logjam and daisying chaning it to the y bus cable, but I'm guessing this probalby won't work because it won't know which signal to use. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Advanced

If you go to LogJam electronics, they have announced that Blitzsafe is pulling the HON/SNY ITI V1 and V2 (aux adapter for 03-05 Accord/TSX with navi) and replacing it with a new product.

They (Blitzsafe) have been hinting on their own forums for a month or so now that the adapter will be revised to accomodate XM. Hopefully this is it. Logjam says it will be in their warehouse June 17. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I have a feeling this is it because the fix shouldn't be that hard. The aux adapter was causing a load on the audio lines even when it was de-selected. Once this is fixed, all should be well and you can keep your XM.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkhalper
rjairam,

I think this is what I'm looking for. I understand everything up until the double pole/single pole with relays bit. What's the difference between the two ways? Also, what is the 5v regulator? I think it's something like a resistor so the switch doesn't receive too much power. Is this right? That means the switch receives power? If so, where from? Also, I think the two audio cables have three wires each connecting to the bus plug (the two wires plus the sheilding). Do you just ignore the shielding part? Thanks for the help.

-Mike

Sorry I haven't been posting here so long.

A relay will allow you to use one switch or some sort of automatic control (such as a remote wire on a DVD player).

The 5v regulator is to make sure you don't push a full 12-15 volts through the relay and burn it. The regulator is a small IC that takes up to 32 volts in and outputs the required voltage. A 5 volt (7805) regulator will output 5 volts.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Just confirmed from Blitzsafe - The replacement for HON/SNY ITI V2 will allow you to keep your factory XM and add an aux input.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Part number? Can we put in orders yet?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Guinea Pig

Just called Blitasafe. They said it won't be out till the end of next week. They don't have a part number yet and they aren't taking orders for it. Man, this saves me from cutting more wires in my dash. I can't wait!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Advanced

Logjam is taking pre-orders, well sorta.

If you order the HON/SNY ITI V2, they will ship the new adapter when it becomes available, since they are not selling the ITI V2 anymore.

LogJam says that the adapters should be in their warehouse around the 17th. That sounds a bit optimistic if you ask me.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by rjairam
Logjam is taking pre-orders, well sorta.

If you order the HON/SNY ITI V2, they will ship the new adapter when it becomes available, since they are not selling the ITI V2 anymore.

LogJam says that the adapters should be in their warehouse around the 17th. That sounds a bit optimistic if you ask me.
Blitzsafe doesn't even have a part number for this item yet, not to mention having it in thier warehouse. So, it does sound optimistic.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bbalestier
Well does anybody know these guys they say this will work but i don't want to throw money in the toilet.
I've sent them several emails no responce in 24 hour who are they?

Good luck.
They say this should work.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/HO...d_0_p_200.html

I definitely believe they're legit. I think I know who they are, in fact they're not located too far from where I live (less than 2 miles). I am not sure though.

THere was this shop on the corner of Atlantic Ave and Rockaway blvd in Brooklyn, NY that was called "gran turismo", and they have a huge sign that says "auto toys" so I think that's them.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use this AND keep my factory XM radio?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by fuzzynoise
That's the point! They claim it will. I will call again tomorrow and post what I hear. I called earlier in the week to put an order in, but they wouldn't let me yet.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJams
That's the point! They claim it will. I will call again tomorrow and post what I hear. I called earlier in the week to put an order in, but they wouldn't let me yet.

Who? Blitzsafe or LogJam?

LogJam is taking orders for the HON/SNY ITI v2 but is putting orders on hold until they get the new part.

Blitzsafe probably won't take any orders right now...
Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fuzzynoise

According to Marc@Blitzsafe on the Blitzsafe forums, you will.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Guinea Pig

I just called at 1:55pm today and the guy said "NO YOU CAN'T KEEP XM!" WTF? He also said the "new" product they are comming out with won't be out for another 2 weeks or so. Forget them! I am gonn do my own mod!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Guinea Pig

blitzsafe that is
Old 06-16-2005, 05:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I now have a batch of the units on order... they list units for nav and without, and for ipod and just with RCA ; )
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by elduderino
I now have a batch of the units on order... they list units for nav and without, and for ipod and just with RCA ; )
Do you still get to keep XM?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I taked with a tech guy and with the president of the company (he and I must have spoken for like 45 minutes - really nice guy!)

I don't think that they do a lot of internal communiucation pre-launch.

I have been told that there is a pass-through for XM AND a set of RCA inputs. I don't have HARD pricing yet.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!