Factory Radio>>Alpine and Navi Voice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Radio>>Alpine and Navi Voice

For my '01 Acura CLS (with Navi) I have upgraded from the Acura radio to an Alpine 9815 head unit. I am trying to get back the Navi voice that was lost when the factory radio was removed. Alpine suggested (although they could not supply anything specific due to proprietary reasons with Acura as Alpine built the Acura Navi system) using the Acura radio as a stand-alone receiver exclusively for the Navi voice and hiding it away in the car (i.e. trunk, etc). They say finding the Navi voice output wire and running that into the factory radio and then using separate speakers as output from the factory radio would get back the voice. Also trying to have a mute/interrupt output run to the Alpine head unit to interrupt the Alpine audio when the Navi voice plays. I think this sounds plausible, may be much much labor...any thoughts??

Also I have some questions if someone can offer answers:

1) Does anyone know if the Navi voice is still heard even if the Acura radio is powered OFF?

2) Does anyone have Acura radio pin/harness wiring configurations/diagrams for what each of the wires represent?

3) Does anyone know how to identify the Navi voice output wire from the Navi system?

If this can be done, many will find that upgrading from the factory to aftermarket radio should be a much easier decision, perhaps without hesitation--I hesitated for so long because I did not want to lose steering wheel radio controls (now retained with the PAC SWI/X controller), and the Navi voice loss---which I must get back!!

Thanks all
Old 07-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can answer #1 and 2

1 )The navi voice DOES work when the radio is turned off. It actually turns the radio "on" for the voice prompted and then back "off." I put on and off in parentheses because you cannot physically see the radio being turned on. You can just here it.

2) If you look at the FAQ I think you will be able to find the wiring diagram from the healms manual.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good that the Navi works even with radio OFF. I did a search but I can not locate any valid link that have the Bose pin/wiring schedmatics and diagrams for '01 Acura CLS with Navi.

Any help?